Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #1

Auto Focus HELP!!

If anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it.

I am sure there are two possibilities: either I am an idiot and am missing a simple step, or my lens might be broken.

Today I switched from a manual lens to my standard kit 18-55 lens on my K-X and took a pic or two and shut the camera down. Later I went to take a few more shots and found that the autofocus and zoom were "stuck together" When I attempted to zoom in with the camera, the auto-focus motor whizzed and resisted and then when I half-pressed the shutter to auto-focus the focusing took the zoom with it. It's like the two are now one - meaning I can't zoom in or out using auto-focus.

Am I missing something obvious or do I need to take my lens in?

Any help would be appreciated!

11-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you tried taking the lens off then reattaching it? I had a similar problem once but it went away and never happened again. The other question is whether it's the camera or the lens. Do you have access to another Pentax lens that isn't manual focus to test. If you can't determine that, I'd send them both in.
11-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Reattaching

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I tried taking it off and reattaching it numerous times to no effect. I have one other auto-focus lens but it's not with me at the moment. I think I will stop by a camera shop on my way home. Everything should still be under warranty, but this is really frustrating.
11-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bring it back to the shop. They may able try something in the shop, if not do use the warranty...

I understand the annoyance, but the warranty is there to be used.

11-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe there is any way the camera could be at fault. There is no connection, either electrical or mechanical, between the body and the zoom function. The problem has to be in the lens.

With the lens off of the camera, can you hold the focus ring stationary and operate the zoom, or vice versa?