Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #31

Original Poster
Apologize for the time lapse in my posting here, holidays n all...

So i took 3 pictures using the suggestions above, i havent changed the battery yet, as im still not certain which voltage i should be using...

here are the pics:Flickr: dkinkaid's stuff tagged with pumpkin

I simply wrote on the pumpkin the ISO i set the camera to, i was using 200 film, and shooting at 1/125 shutter speed...the bottom front pumpkin has the iso speed on it..

11-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by dkinkaid Quote
Focal M500T-Zoom
I have this same flash for my k1000. I can scan the user manual (pamphlet, actually), if you would like it.

Nice find on a nice camera, by the way.
11-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu Quote
I have this same flash for my k1000. I can scan the user manual (pamphlet, actually), if you would like it.

Nice find on a nice camera, by the way.
thank you, and amazingly i have the user manual as well, for both the camera and the flash, just my inexperience in understanding when/and how to use it....but again thank you for the offer..

also i wonder if anyone can provide some insight into using the 2x converter i have, it allows me to zoom in fairly close to objects, which i love, but no matter the settings, indoors or out, the meter doesnt move...

Last edited by dkinkaid; 11-28-2010 at 05:27 PM.
11-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have said, you got an OUTSTANDING deal on your camera kit!

I also use a K1000, and from what I saw of your pictures you are off to a good start. I tried to read through the posts to catch what questions of yours were answered, and I may have missed something so forgive me if I repeat something someone else has already said.

Looking at your pictures, it appears that in some of them the color balance is "off". I usually process my own B&W film, but have taken some color film to our local Walgreen's and have not been happy with their scans. However, I found our local Wal-Mart to be cheaper and the scans are higher quality, but store scans are usually not very good and of fairly low resolution. I ended up getting my own scanner (Epson V500) and it was WELL worth the investment.

I use the 1.5V battery in my K1000 - no problem. The meter circuit is a balanced bridge type circuit and is essentially not sensitive to battery voltage, so the 1.5V battery (type 356 or 76) works fine. They last a long time if you make sure the lens cap is on the lens when the camera is not in use.

Concerning your flash pictures, I think they are WAY overexposed. I can see an extremely narrow depth-of-field and lack of focus which is characteristic of a wide-open aperture, even with the close-in shots. When you use the flash, you do not use your meter. You set the flash for your film ISO and look at the scale for the distance to your subject (usually two ranges are available on the scale), then set the aperture ring on your lens to the correct setting for distance-to-subject. Then just focus and shoot (NO metering). Be sure your shutter speed is set to "60" (1/60th second) for all flash pictures.

As an example (and since this is a photography forum), I feel compelled to post a picture. This will show you it can be done and it's pretty easy once you figure it out. Here is a flash picture I took last year with my K1000, Fujicolor 200 print film, Vivitar 28mm lens, and a Kalimar Auto-Thyristor bounce flash, negative scanned with my Epson V500. I aimed the flash at the ceiling, used the exposure guide on the flash as I described to you above, and here is the result. My granddaughter and her cousin having a good time...

You're on a roll - good work so far! Now, you need to keep a look out for cheap sources of film.

-Joe-

11-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #35

Original Poster
Thnx for the encouraging words k0og and the advice...im definetly going to check out wal-mart for processing..i had no luck finding a local or even distant dedicated shop...and thnx on the battery tip, i was really concerned that might be my issue...i think at this point everything is now going to come down to experience...i just need to keep shooting and learning what works and what doesnt...
My father in-law apparently has an old canon he is going to give me also, with a few lenses...so it will just add to my knowledge so far...thnx again for all the help everyone...