Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Auction find...w/pictures and a question

I'm not a beginner with a Pentax, but didnt' know where else to post this and ask my questions.

So my Husband is an Auctioneer and yesterday he was helping out at an auction and found something he was so excited to come home and give me.

This is the camera we learned on years and years ago. But he was excited about the lenses and I tried a couple of them on my K10 and they wouldn't work. Two lenses are an off brand and one is a Pentax (the 50 MM F1.2 lens) The two off brand are macro (I think) and am excited to try out some macro, but I'm not sure how to get them to work on either my K10 or my K5.

So here are some other pictures of the lenses. They are in excellent shape. All had UV filters to protect the glass and they are really like brand new.

It also came with a cheap little Promaster FM600 flash. Which I may see if I can try to fire with some radio triggers at some point and it was in a crappy little flimsy bag that shed little, black, rubbery stuff all over the camera.

Oh and he picked up a tripod for a couple bucks! I have one already, but you know hwo it is with photography equipment, you can never have enough. it was like Christmas...

...I think I may owe him now though

so any tips on getting the lenses to work on my camera? I tried the 50 mm and the 80-200 on my K10 and switched over to Manual focus on my camera, but all I got was a flashing F in the veiwfinder.

Thanks for any advice and this is a very long post for me! If you made it though to the end thanks for sticking it out!

11-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You need to set camera to allow use of aperture ring. I've Never used a K10, but on my K20 its: Menu, Custom settings, Using aperture ring = permitted. I suspect the K10 is pretty close.....

good luck.
11-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sweet! thanks so much! I'm going to try that now!
11-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to point out that is an f2 (1:2) , not f1.2 (1:1.2) 50mm. The f2 may be fine but some people would go gaga over 1.2.

Elsewhere in the Beginner's Corner is the sticky for the flashing F.

11-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Sorry to point out that is an f2 (1:2) , not f1.2 (1:1.2) 50mm. The f2 may be fine but some people would go gaga over 1.2.

Elsewhere in the Beginner's Corner is the sticky for the flashing F.
Aaack, your right! Major typo! LOL at going "gaga" over the 1.2. Probably why my fingers typed it out even though I knew better.

Got one of the lenses to work, but not enough time to play! (dang kids! Kidding....kind of)
11-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what you have is a basic 35mm kit.

not too bad, not the best, but it is enough to play with and try your hand at manual focus,

I can't tell if the zooms have an A position or not, If they do, put them in A and leave them there, this will give you all the exposure modes and P-TTL flash capability as well.
11-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

If he got them for free, why not.

But otherwise, not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

You can sell the body for around 50 bucks.

Last edited by Ira; 11-19-2010 at 03:43 PM.
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If he got them for free, why not.

But otherwise, not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

You can sell the body for around 50 bucks.
He didn't give near $50 for everything. Infact, he came home with the bed of his pick up truck packed and didn't pay more than $30 for all of it and the camera, lenses and tripod.
11-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Got one of the lenses to work, but not enough time to play! (dang kids! Kidding....kind of)
Get rid of your kids and keep the cameras, HAHAHA.
11-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hey beth verry good link for M on Dslrs Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com
11-20-2010, 05:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Get rid of your kids and keep the cameras, HAHAHA.
I could get MORE cameras with less mouths to feed!!! (kidding...don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about how I feel about my kids )

Paska...thanks a lot for that link! going to check it out. I was apparently doing something very wrong with the one lens I did get to try. but I'm going to keep trying. I've been wanting to get my hands on a macro lens. And I know these lenses aren't anything great, but I was very excited to finally get a macro to play around with. Being an auctioneers wife has it's perks sometimes!
11-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey Beth your husband is a good man. And you will like using that old glass.
11-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

With consumer zooms like those "macro" is usually a marketing term that means close focus. I expect the lenses will give you somewhere around 1/3 or 1/4 life size, as opposed to a true macro lens that would give you 1:1. It's still worth playing around with them to see what your results are like. The 50mm Pentax lens would do a reasonably good job as a closeup or macro lens stopped down on some cheap extension tubes or bellows, though metering won't be as convenient as it would be with an A series or later dedicated macro lens.
11-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
He didn't give near $50 for everything. Infact, he came home with the bed of his pick up truck packed and didn't pay more than $30 for all of it and the camera, lenses and tripod.
Like I said, the body could be worth 50 plus, but the lenses don't have any value.
11-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

While the zooms look pretty worthless I wouldn't say an A-series 50/2 has no monetary value. (Anything with A that doesn't suck optically is worth something in my experience, no matter how unexciting it may be to someone who already has a nice collection of good glass.)