Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D Rear Monitor Operation

I picked up a K20D and noticed that the rear monitor stays off when I press the shutter button half way. I also noticed that the rear monitor turns on when I turn on the camera and will also turn on if I press the INFO button. However after I turn the camera on, the rear monitor will turn off in 3 sec.
Is that just the way the K20D functions? If so, is there a setting that keeps the monitor on?
The rear monitor turns on my K7 when I press the shutter half way and that's what I was expecting with the K20D.
I looked up information on the manual (pg.22) and it seems that that's the way the K20D operates but I want to make sure just in case I'm wrong and there's either a problem with the camera or I have something set incorrectly.

Last edited by seachunk2; 11-21-2010 at 02:35 AM.
11-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
I picked up a K20D and noticed that the rear monitor stays off when I press the shutter button half way. I also noticed that the rear monitor turns on when I turn on the camera and will also turn on if I press the INFO button. However after I turn the camera on, the rear monitor will turn off in 3 sec.
In the K-7 (and K20, I believe), you can choose to have the LCD on or off.

With my K-7, I prefer to have the LCD off for a number of reasons.

When I switch on the camera, the LCD appears briefly, then it switch off and remained it switched off (unless I want to view one of my shots). The only exception is off course if I switch (rarely) to Liveview.

In the K-7, go to [Rec Mode 3], then select [Status Screen Display].

Hope that the comment will help.
11-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
Is that just the K20D functions?
Yep.

QuoteQuote:
The rear monitor turns on my K7 when I press the shutter half way and that's what I was expecting with the K20D.
Seems that would be distracting during the day and blinding at night.
11-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
I haven't found the K7's monitor distracting. In fact I prefer to have it on. I find it easier to make adjustments to iso, aperture, shutter speed, EV Comp, etc. Maybe it's because my eyesight isn't what it used to be and seeing these setting through the viewfinder isn't as easy.
Is there a setting I could make so the monitor is displaying key settings information when the camera is on w/o shutting off? Just a personal preference if it's possible. I'm not finding it in my search of the customs menu.

Last edited by seachunk2; 11-21-2010 at 08:42 AM.
11-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The top LCD should show aperture, shutter, and EV. Pressing the OK button will show ISO.