Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by increment weather but if my old ME his rusty inside I wouldl spray some W40 on the joints and off you go... let's shoot baby. By the way, I donīt need all that gimmicks, like P-TTL or auto exposure with a film camera. Just a lens, the shutter and the film advance lever working.
And batteries, don't forget the batteries because without power, even your Pentax ME will have very limited function. You can shoot at shutter speeds of either 1/100s or bulb without metering. On the other hand, my Super Program and PZ-1 are dead weights without power but I doubt anyone here would consider these gimmicky. I'd like to think of them as some of the landmarks in the long and illustrious history of Pentax manufacturing. Electronics has been a part of a camera body for a long time and if you don't take steps to protect it from the elements, you won't be shooting for long whether it be analog or digital.

Thanks,

11-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
if you don't take steps to protect it from the elements, you won't be shooting for long whether it be analog or digital.
Hey excannon, where did I said do not take care of your gear? Do you read the posts, or are you saying what comes to your mind regardless of that? Your Super Duper Auto Program is a dead weight? Ok then, grab yourself a K1000 and forget about batteries. Any experienced photographer, like they used to be in the past, knows how to expose without batteries and other fancy assets like those we need nowadays. Thank you.
11-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hey excannon, where did I said do not take care of your gear? Do you read the posts, or are you saying what comes to your mind regardless of that? Your Super Duper Auto Program is a dead weight? Ok then, grab yourself a K1000 and forget about batteries. Any experienced photographer, like they used to be in the past, knows how to expose without batteries and other fancy assets like those we need nowadays. Thank you.
Yes I do read yours and mine, but I wonder if you read yours...

In the past, photographers were not much concerned with weather conditions because cameras and lens were mainly mechanical devices.
Super Duper Auto Program, that's a good one. Any superlative monikers for today's K series cameras?

Thanks,
11-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

In the past, photographers were not much concerned with weather conditions because cameras and lens were mainly mechanical devices
Ok excanon. Accept my apologies and some further illustration of my words:

Robert Capa, Omaha Beach (doesn't look much concerned with weather conditions? What you say?)

Last edited by Manel Brand; 02-13-2011 at 08:50 AM.
11-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ok excanon. Accept my apologies and some further illustration of my words:

Robert Capa, Omaha Beach (doesn't look much concerned with weather conditions? What you say?)
Manel,

No apology needed, in hindsight my reply to your initial post seemed somewhat testy - sorry, it was unintentional. As for Capa's image, I have no answer to that. A working professional or an army photographer who has ready access to equipments can go for the image wholeheartedly. Whereas, a high school student who worked his summer holidays to buy a camera kit is not likely to chase after the image at all cost (even if he knew how).

You should read the "Combat Photographer Tells All" thread in the forum, it is a very riveting read and on page 20 of the thread, Robert Hillerby (thread's author) describes how he maintained his camera and lenses in the jungles of Viet Nam. He seems to agree with you on the camera's durability, but again it really comes down to how much an individual values his equipment versus chasing the image.

Thanks,
11-29-2010, 02:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

A working professional or an army photographer who has ready access to equipments can go for the image wholeheartedly. Whereas, a high school student who worked his summer holidays to buy a camera kit is not likely to chase after the image at all cost (even if he knew how).
OK. You got a point here. Although this is unquestionable, those old cameras can take very nasty treatment and still work through the whole campaign. That's why some people like to say that they are build like a tank!

He seems to agree with you on the camera's durability
See? What did I tell you?

Cheers