Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
weather sealing manual K or M series lenses

Hallo, I've ordered a Pentax K-7 at my local dealer.
Just wondering however how the K- and/or M series lenses wood stand up to the elements. I own several M and K series lenses which I use with my Pentax K-x and I just haven't got the cash to spend on several weather sealed new Pantax lenses.
I'm used to be very careful in wet conditions with my pentax gear until now; however, in the Netherlands it rains often so I do miss too many good opportunities to take beautiful photo's in rainy conditions. I therefore ordered the Pentax K-7 but cannot afford to also buy a set of new lenses. I'm also wondering how professionals dealt with a professional Pentax camera in the past with non weather sealed Pentax lenses. It is my understanding at least that there are no weather sealed K-or M series lenses

11-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They should hold up fine. A little common sense care is all that's needed. Keep them covered up until you need them. Even though the camera body is weather sealed, I keep my K10D protected. I don't carry it exposed in the rain and keeping it mostly dry when I'm not shooting is a very simple thing to do. My lenses and DSLR get treated exactly the same as I treated my film cameras.
11-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If the weather is particulary bad, you can use the WR kit lens...
11-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturefreak Quote
I'm also wondering how professionals dealt with a professional Pentax camera in the past with non weather sealed Pentax lenses.
In the past, photographers were not much concerned with weather conditions because cameras and lens were mainly mechanical devices. Digital photography, on the contrary, rely heavily in electronics which don't mix well with harsh weather conditions. Just protect your gear from unnecessary exposition to the elements and you should be fine.

11-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you have lenses with hard lens hoods (bayonet type), you can slip a clear plastic bag over the lens, mount the lens hood and carefully cut away the excess plastic film from the front of the lens. If you have screw in lens hood (hard or soft), sandwich the plastic bag between the lens hood and a UV filter cut away the excess plastic film from inside the lens hood, and screw on the lens hood /filter combo on to your lens. Use a bag that is fairly sturdy, large enough to be able to adjust the focusing ring from outside without stretching the plastic, gather up the excess plastic film at the rear of the camera and tie it up (a small binder clip is perfect for this). Make sure the knot of plastic film is sitting slightly below the bottom of the camera, to prevent any water flowing down do not enter the dry area.

I used to do this (soft hood/filter) when I was a student too many years ago and it works. If you intend to shoot often in increment weather, it might be a good idea to make a hood/filter raincoat for each of your lenses to speed up your set up time. It can be tedious to make one each time you need to shoot.

Hope this helps,
11-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
In the past, photographers were not much concerned with weather conditions because cameras and lens were mainly mechanical devices. Digital photography, on the contrary, rely heavily in electronics which don't mix well with harsh weather conditions. Just protect your gear from unnecessary exposition to the elements and you should be fine.
What are you saying? Whether electronics or purely mechanical, water wreaks havoc on either of them. Purely mechanical cameras were a thing of the past (or fast becoming one) when I started tinkering with cameras in the seventies. Introduction of TTL metering and later program AE, basically meant every camera had some electronics built into the body. If you look in the advertisement section in the photographic magazines from the past, you could always find an ad or two selling raincoats for the camera.

Thanks,
11-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
What are you saying? Whether electronics or purely mechanical, water wreaks havoc on either of them. Purely mechanical cameras were a thing of the past (or fast becoming one) when I started tinkering with cameras in the seventies. Introduction of TTL metering and later program AE, basically meant every camera had some electronics built into the body. If you look in the advertisement section in the photographic magazines from the past, you could always find an ad or two selling raincoats for the camera.

Thanks,
Are you saying that a 35mm camera from the 70's is as much sensitive to water as a modern dslr? I think you are wrong (and I didn't say anywhere purely mechanic, your words, not mine).
11-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hallo, I've ordered a Pentax K-7 at my local dealer.
Just wondering however how the K- and/or M series lenses wood stand up to the elements. I own several M and K series lenses which I use with my Pentax K-x and I just haven't got the cash to spend on several weather sealed new Pantax lenses.
I'm used to be very careful in wet conditions with my pentax gear until now; however, in the Netherlands it rains often so I do miss too many good opportunities to take beautiful photo's in rainy conditions. I therefore ordered the Pentax K-7 but cannot afford to also buy a set of new lenses. I'm also wondering how professionals dealt with a professional Pentax camera in the past with non weather sealed Pentax lenses. It is my understanding at least that there are no weather sealed K-or M series lenses
for what it is worth, I don't consider my gear weather sealed. When I go out to take shots, I have a bag over the gear, with a hole cut for the lens and taped to the filter or hood.

I consider weather sealing extra insurance in the event that my primary protection fails.

That does not mean I have not gotten my gear wet in the past, (to the point where my *istD went into continual shooting and needed the batteries pulled until it dried out) but just that I try to rely on common sense protection, to protect my gear. Weather sealing is nice, but, it is not the be all and end all of protection.

Just do a search on the forums, and you will find someone who had the practice of washing his lens and K7 off under a tap, every time he got home from a shoot. I think if failed after 50 or so "baths"

11-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I rest my case

see my previous post about washing your gear

then read this one

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/123892-water-got-into-lense.html

Not that I am making fun of the person who posted, it is just that this WR thing is getting blown out of proportion. It is added protection, and NOT primary protection or absolute waterproofing.
11-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Are you saying that a 35mm camera from the 70's is as much sensitive to water as a modern dslr? I think you are wrong (and I didn't say anywhere purely mechanic, your words, not mine).
Yes I am, camera bodies from the 70's were not weather sealed except for the high end flagship models (none that I could afford). If you didn't put a bag over the camera and/or carry an umbrella back then, you simply did not shoot in increment weather. Inner camera body like the film chamber, film pressure plate or even the camera backs were all basically enameled, pressed sheet metal. If you got water penetration, the inner camera body was susceptible to rust.

Simple fact, water and electronics do not mix - the degree of electronics used then and now is largely irrelevant. Imo, today's DSLRs with weather sealing technology has a better chance of surviving the occasional water sprinkling on the body than those early mechanical/electronic consumer SLRs without the weather seal. I concur with Lowell; I view the weather resistance in my K20D as an insurance, in case the primary line of defence fails - the lowly plastic bag.

Thanks,
11-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #11

Original Poster
waterresistance old Pentax lenses

Thanks for all your info on this topic!
I've changed from ordering only the Pentax K-7 body to the kit version with the 18-55mm wr lens.
What I distract from all the replies to my question is that I should be careful, even with waterresistant gear. It was already my own idea that waterresistant gear is not the definite and only solution to protect my gear from the elements. Nevertheless I felt compelled to order the kit version as mentioned above after reading all the comments and I will also be very careful and, as someone put it, use my common sense when using my gear in nasty weather!
11-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Also be aware if you choose to buy a third party grip for the k7 none of them are weather sealed despite any claims they may make ( not really an issue you can always shoot without it in inclement weather just remember to put the cap back on the bottom of your body)
11-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

WR prefix is weather resistant not "proof" as others have pointed out.
have DA 18-55WR, biggest advantage seems to be in regards to dust.
Does well in minimizing debris on sensor of camera body and stuff being drawn
into lens barrel as zoom and focusing mechanism turn.
Two K & M series lens that Ive had longest, M50/1.4 and K300/4 have held
up very well, but dont generally use in "downpoors and rainstorms"
M400/5.6 is "loose as a goose" yet so easy to dis-assemble and clean out,
that [WR] relative that particular lens, means little or nothing.
Plastic bags and such, as others mentioned, has served just as well as WR.
Your experience may vary.
11-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
you simply did not shoot in increment weather. Inner camera body like the film chamber, film pressure plate or even the camera backs were all basically enameled, pressed sheet metal. If you got water penetration, the inner camera body was susceptible to rust.
I'm not sure what you mean by increment weather but if my old ME his rusty inside I wouldl spray some W40 on the joints and off you go... let's shoot baby. By the way, I donīt need all that gimmicks, like P-TTL or auto exposure with a film camera. Just a lens, the shutter and the film advance lever working.
11-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all your info on this topic!
I've changed from ordering only the Pentax K-7 body to the kit version with the 18-55mm wr lens.
What I distract from all the replies to my question is that I should be careful, even with waterresistant gear. It was already my own idea that waterresistant gear is not the definite and only solution to protect my gear from the elements. Nevertheless I felt compelled to order the kit version as mentioned above after reading all the comments and I will also be very careful and, as someone put it, use my common sense when using my gear in nasty weather!
Very good idea naturefreak. One extra piece of advice: If you do happen to be shooting with your new K-7 body and a non WR lens using the plastic bag method, (which I have done with my K10/20D on more than one occasion) Be sure to remove the lens from the body at the soonest safe moment. The point is obviously that the lens is more suseptable to water pentetration than the camera and water can get into the camera from the lens. I found this out to my dismay the hard way. The lens dried out fairly quickly, it took about 3 days. The K10D dried out too, but it took over 3 weeks!!! to do so. It was completely fine after that. Since then I remove the lens from the body as soon as I can get into dry conditions and I've never had a body problem since then. Several lenses have fogged up briefly (1-2 days) but no real problems. BTW in such conditions I DO NOT use any of my more expensive or rare lenses. Older, less expensive lenses only.

NaCl(this isn't rocket science, a bit of logical precaution is all that is needed)H2O