Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posting with exif data?

I shoot a K110d and I use Irfanview as my main/only image software. Is there a specific file type that preserves exif data better than others? I take photos in RAW (.pef to be more specific) and I am able to save my .pef photos to any of the popular formats. I am also aware that this is a pentax forum not an Irfanview forum. Any help would be appreciated.

11-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot in RAW DNF and my images have a ton of EXIF data. When I use to shoot in jpeg there would be very limited EXIF data available. As for PEF I cannot say whether it has more or less then DNG, all I can say is RAW has much more than jpeg. Oh yeah, and I use photoMe and Adobe Bridge to view the data.
11-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I shoot in RAW DNF and my images have a ton of EXIF data. When I use to shoot in jpeg there would be very limited EXIF data available. As for PEF I cannot say whether it has more or less then DNG, all I can say is RAW has much more than jpeg. Oh yeah, and I use photoMe and Adobe Bridge to view the data.
Is that true? I've never gone and counted how many lines/types of information are in the exif of different files, but photos originating in DNG, PEF and JPEG all have hundreds of lines of data in my experience. If there was more lines of exif info saved in DNG I don't see what could be useful.

To the OP, I wasn't going to answer since I haven't used that software in a while, but since I asked a question I'll throw something out there.

I believe irfanview used to strip exif information when saving jpegs. It might be fixed or updated now. When saving as jpeg/exporting/saving for web look for an option to include or preserve exif or metadata. I'll bet someone here knows. In general though, one file type doesn't save exif info better than another. The issue is when converting the software can strip or exclude the information when it makes a new file. Most modern software won't do this, or you can enable it to preserve the information in the new file.
11-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This really is a software question, not an image format one.

Irfanview is not really a main-stream image editor. If you are having problems with it stripping EXIF, why not try the software that came with the camera? Suspect that will be OK, though I confess I haven't tried it myself.

In other photo editors there is often a checkbox to tick to save EXIF as well, and some things like 'Save for Web' in Elements always remove it.

BTW there is an IrfanView forum:
IrfanView Support Forum

It offers English or German, and seems to have quite a few threads that are to do with EXIF, and it looks like losing it might be an IrfanView issue.

11-22-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I did a search on the above mentioned forum:

According to The EXIF story once more, it's still on the todo list (dated 13 Oct 2010)
11-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lowspark86 Quote
Is that true? I've never gone and counted how many lines/types of information are in the exif of different files, but photos originating in DNG, PEF and JPEG all have hundreds of lines of data in my experience. If there was more lines of exif info saved in DNG I don't see what could be useful.
I just checked and there is more info on a DNG file than on a JPEG but not as much of a difference as I remember. I'm pretty sure that the difference in the amount of data I remember was because I probably converted/modified the JPEG and that stripped a lot of the data. If you shoot directly to jpeg most of the exif data will be there, more data than I will ever need.
11-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Such help! Thanks so much. I'm looking into getting a different suite to do all my editing. Any recomendations? I'm interested in compiling some HDR pics too. But that is a different thread all together.

11-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Having used PaintShopPro, Elements and Photoshop (not Lightroom) my vote is for Photoshop followed by PaintShopPro. The things Photoshop does well that PSP doesn't are:
  • RAW conversion (PSP can't convert many formats, Elements is fine at this as both use ACR)
  • Colour management (PSP barely starts there, Elements is OK at this)
  • 16-bit processing (PSP and Elements can't do that)
But CS5 is expensive. Look into becoming a student so you can get a student licence - or take the Open Universities T189 course and you get a copy of Elements included. It's an excellent introduction to photography, covers all the basics and gets you started on critiques as well.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/t189.htm
11-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
But CS5 is expensive. Look into becoming a student so you can get a student licence - or take the Open Universities T189 course and you get a copy of Elements included. It's an excellent introduction to photography, covers all the basics and gets you started on critiques as well.
Thanks for the suggestion Cats_. Right now all my efforts are going into an online AutoCAD certification and fatherhood though. That class looks like an interesting endeavor for the future.
The plan right now is to ask for a nice copy of Photoshop for Christmas. Wish me luck!