Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 05:58 AM   #1

K-x: Small viewfinder!

Does the K5's viewfinder present a larger image than that of the K-x? I'm having the sensation of looking through a paper-towel tube each time I use my K-x...

Just wondering...

11-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It does have a bigger viewfinder. To make it even bigger get a Pentax O-ME53 eyepiece magnifier. It fits on K-x as well.
11-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks... Does the K5 also have a brighter status row at the bottom? I struggle to read the shutter-speed and such on a bright day...
11-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richardm Quote
Thanks... Does the K5 also have a brighter status row at the bottom? I struggle to read the shutter-speed and such on a bright day...
The K-x isn't known for being the best in this area, so you're not alone.

Hard to read in bright sun, and the positions of the status indicators aren't all that optimum.

11-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

this was one of the first things i noticed. that's why i'm always running down battery life using the lcd display instead :/

Last edited by midn12ght; 11-23-2010 at 02:36 PM.
11-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
It does have a bigger viewfinder. To make it even bigger get a Pentax O-ME53 eyepiece magnifier. It fits on K-x as well.
Or the bigger cheaper KPS 1.35x magnifier on ebay, which comes with a, IMO, much better eye cup.
11-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

do you have a link to that particular viewfinder?
11-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Was just about to bring up my problem...bad eyesight. I use the beeping to tell me when subject is focused. I think I will check out this eyepiece. I am using a bunch of manual lens. Would this help? Thank you Matjazz

11-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vega Quote
do you have a link to that particular viewfinder?
kps 1.3x items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo items on eBay.com!

They say 1.3x but there is only a 1.35x magnifier. By viewing the pictures, you can see on the piece it says 1.35 (some auction pictures have higher resolution ones but they are all the same). I find the big eyecup that comes with it great, as it blocks out other light allowing your one eye to focus easier and also usable with glasses. It also folds down like a ring, but you can also ask them to include the ER-23, which is the flat ring, which some people prefer:

http://secamera.co.kr/upfiles/mallupfiles/KPS-1-13C-1.jpg
11-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
kps 1.3x items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo items on eBay.com!

They say 1.3x but there is only a 1.35x magnifier. By viewing the pictures, you can see on the piece it says 1.35 (some auction pictures have higher resolution ones but they are all the same). I find the big eyecup that comes with it great, as it blocks out other light allowing your one eye to focus easier and also usable with glasses. It also folds down like a ring, but you can also ask them to include the ER-23, which is the flat ring, which some people prefer:

http://secamera.co.kr/upfiles/mallupfiles/KPS-1-13C-1.jpg
Can you still see the entire image in the viewfinder? Or would you have to shift your eyes around? Sorry if this question doesn't make sense, but i have no experience with eyecup magnifiers. Thanks!
11-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Can you still see the entire image in the viewfinder? Or would you have to shift your eyes around? Sorry if this question doesn't make sense, but i have no experience with eyecup magnifiers. Thanks!
There is slight vignetting in the corners, which is increased notably when the eyecup is folded out (making it somewhat difficult to read the numbers at the bottom, which are dark on the K-x anyway).

The increased size, IMO, more than makes up for it.
12-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #12

Original Poster
Got the O-ME53. It works great. Exactly what I wanted and I don't have to smash my nose against the camera back any longer. Thanks guys!

Last edited by richardm; 12-14-2010 at 05:21 AM.
12-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardm Quote
Go the O-ME53. It works great. Exactly what I wanted and I don't have to smash my nose against the camera back any longer. Thanks guys!
Concur with regard to the O-ME53... I wear glasses and now find things much easier...

As well as magnification it allows me (and my big nose) to get a better angle of view - seeing exposure data in viewfinder as well as the shot...

Not sure about stateside but here in the UK it was fairly difficult to find... Worth every penny though...