Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How to support this site.

How do i support this site. I want to buy a camera and I want it to reflect on my account here?

11-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you buy a camera from BH or Adorama, PM Adam and let him know you will be buying a camera and he will show you the proper way to do so.

If you are talking about buying a camera from the marketplace then you get feedback but no "site supporter" status.
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as you click on the links for those stores from HERE, it helps the site.

B&H might help the site more than Adorama, and maybe Adam can't tell you that, but that's my suspicion.

I assume that he immediately knows when a click-through from here results in a purchase from there, and the site gets their compensation.
11-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

B&H might help the site more than Adorama, and maybe Adam can't tell you that, but that's my suspicion.
Actually, that isn't the case.

11-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Actually, that isn't the case.
Is there any particular reason why there is no "Ask Adorama!" forum?

It might create some sales for Adorama which in turn would help to support this site.
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Is there any particular reason why there is no "Ask Adorama!" forum?

It might create some sales for Adorama which in turn would help to support this site.

Although I think I'd be correct in saying that Adorama was the first supporter of the site, I guess B&H came up with the idea of installing an expert to answer questions about Pentax - and it maybe wouldn't be seen as playing a clean game if we followed suit.

Anyway, you can always ask me anything in any part of the forum - I do try to drop by most days.

You know, you only have to click on the banner beneath my signature to place an order, and it benefits the site every time!
11-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Although I think I'd be correct in saying that Adorama was the first supporter of the site, I guess B&H came up with the idea of installing an expert to answer questions about Pentax - and it maybe wouldn't be seen as playing a clean game if we followed suit.

Anyway, you can always ask me anything in any part of the forum - I do try to drop by most days.

You know, you only have to click on the banner beneath my signature to place an order, and it benefits the site every time!
Helen, is there any way to help the site if we go to the store? I occasionally stop by to get a this or that and to say hi to Larry, Ari and the rest. And I inevitably end up with much more in my bag than I intended. It would be nice if that kind of shopping could help PF too.

NaCl( lenses have a way of hopping into my shopping cart when I'm not looking)H2O
11-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Helen, is there any way to help the site if we go to the store? I occasionally stop by to get a this or that and to say hi to Larry, Ari and the rest. And I inevitably end up with much more in my bag than I intended. It would be nice if that kind of shopping could help PF too.

NaCl( lenses have a way of hopping into my shopping cart when I'm not looking)H2O

I don't know - but I'll find out and come back to you

11-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

... and it maybe wouldn't be seen as playing a clean game if we followed suit.
I have difficulty to believe that members of this forum would regard it that way.

If Adorama doesn't have the resources or doesn't want to be regarded as a copy cat, that's fine but I'm sure members would appreciate another source of expert advice, in particular if the new forum would be introduced appropriately (e.g., by referencing Adorama as the first site supporter).
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
How do i support this site. I want to buy a camera and I want it to reflect on my account here?
See my signature.

Or, you can simply donate: PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2010, 03:27 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I have difficulty to believe that members of this forum would regard it that way.

If Adorama doesn't have the resources or doesn't want to be regarded as a copy cat, that's fine but I'm sure members would appreciate another source of expert advice, in particular if the new forum would be introduced appropriately (e.g., by referencing Adorama as the first site supporter).
I'm talking to our marketing team, and will come back to you. We may be competitors with B&H but we try to maintain professional respect (for some reason, that made me think of the 'Pirate Code' and Captain Jack Sparrow......too much caffeine this morning I think )
11-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hiya Helen,

A compound question:

Do all purchases initiated from here get commission~attributed? Or only large items like camera bodies?

What I'm really asking is, Ado has a pretty wild range of goodies (I sometimes get lost!) and takes me a while to gather all small items that I want to order - often over days.

So assume I am logged in to my acct on the Ado website via an existing browser Tab (usually Firefox here, maybe G.Chrome). And, at present have a few odd bits and pieces in my Cart -- but, I didn't initially launch the session from a hotlink off one of yours or Adam's posts.

So, what happens if I now click an Ado hotlink from here, and conclude the same purchase from that now newly opened browser Tab? (which will auto-log me in and show [inherit] my same preloaded Cart anyway in Firefox)

The Q is: Does that prior loaded intended-transaction Cart, then get attributed to this website when I finalize from my 'new' browser session from here?

Confusing? Yes it's really a tech question on how your particular online sales website works and interacts with both referrers (like here), and customers web client browsers - assuming the latter matters.
Sorry, hope I explained it all OK. Please ask if not.

TIA.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-24-2010 at 08:49 AM.
11-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
B&H Photo Representative

Helen, you know you're always an asset and an Adorama forum here would not trouble B&H at all. I've said this often -- I'm a Darwinian about retail and think healthy competition among ethical legitimate retailers benefits the retailers, the consumers and the industry.

In reply to another question -- the only way to make a purchase and benefit the site is to do so from the site. At B&H our phone and store sales associates are entirely unable to associate a purchase with an affiliate, nor can a purchase be associated with an affiliate retroactively.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Do all purchases initiated from here get commission~attributed? Or only large items like camera bodies?
All. The dollar value doesn't matter and it's not limited to Pentax-brand products either. The only caveat is if you put items in a shopping cart but do not complete a transaction the association expires after a couple of days. FWIW, I'm not 100% certain but I think delayed purchases might be facilitated if you take the time to log in on our site before finalizing a purchase. It's certainly not a requirement but if there's ever a question it simplifies things in our 'back-end.'

Frankly I'm not sure if an item added to a wish-list retains the affiliate association at all, but I've asked.

Last edited by henryp; 11-24-2010 at 09:42 AM.
11-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #14

Hiya Helen,

A compound question:

Everything, provided you go through this site, by clicking on one of the banners - edit: oops, just realized that Henry already answered that one!

The Q is: Does that prior loaded intended-transaction Cart, then get attributed to this website when I finalize from my 'new' browser session from here?
No, it doesn't - though we have once or twice been able to extract that info and apply the credit, but it has to be done manually and I get SO much grief from the marketing team if I ask for it.......
11-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Everything, provided you go through this site, by clicking on one of the banners - edit: oops, just realized that Henry already answered that one!
Excellent. Thanks to both you and Henry for clarifying, that's good to know for orders with both companies.

QuoteQuote:
No, it doesn't - though we have once or twice been able to extract that info and apply the credit, but it has to be done manually and I get SO much grief from the marketing team if I ask for it.......
OK no probs, I now know how to avoid the issue in future by initiating the start launch from here and refilling the Cart anew.

.R.