Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Skipping kit lenses?

Hi all,

I'm getting my first dslr prolly a k-r. However, I'm kinda undecided between getting the 2-lens kit ($850) or just getting a body + DA 16-45mm f/4 used ($900).

The kit lens system gives me more versatility in range but I think I'm leaning towards specializing in doing portraits and landscapes more. I'm worried also about the resell value of DAL lenses vs normal lenses which is why I kinda hesitate with the kit.

Any opinions?

Keith

11-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is difficult to give you some advice without knowing your shootings and uses.

There is nothing wrong with skipping the kit lens(es). Personnaly I wanted an all-around lens and I bought directly the DA18-250mm. I can understand well that you may prefer to invest in some glass(es) that fit your needs/interests. It is your camera and your lens(es). Choose what does match your needs.

Food for thoughts...
11-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you want to do portraits, I think you'll find that the 16-45mm is too short.

The resale value of DAL lenses is at least 30% lower than regular lenses, but they're also much cheaper at the get-go and quite a bargain.

I'd personally recommend the DA 18-135mm, but I think that it sounds like you're not looking at the higher price range. If my damn FTP would work, I'd have the full-length review uploaded for that lens- but it isn't!

Note sure which kit you're referring to, but if you're taking about this one, then its only $799:
QuoteQuote:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I did not get a kit lens with my K100D or K20D. Technically, the 10-17 fisheye was my first lens, but I got the Sigma 18-50 2.8 and now-dead Sigma 70-300 within days.

The 16-45 is a good wide-angle choice for landscapes. You could get that, and a 77 for your portraits, and be done - for starters :-)

11-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would say no.

1) k-x body only = 500
2) k-x with 18-50 kit lens = 500.

I suck at math but 1 < 2.

And then you get get the 55-300 for an extra 150 which you can't even buy anywhere else....

Those things won't let you do portrait (the 18-50 isn't fast enough)... you can try but it won't come out nicely..

Get a prime for portrait, and use the 18-50 for landscapes. The problem is low light shooting landscape (which you might not do often because if you're like me, you would not likely bringing 1k of gear out in the open late at night)....

The k-x kit with both lens have been as low as 625, I think it's @ 650 right now, not sure about the k-r. If I was you, I would grab this, and dump both lens as brand new on the open market and see how much you can get back, I'm pretty dam sure you'll get ~300 back on both of them.

The T2i (canon) with both lens is sitting at a wooping 800 right now, something to consider too.

Last edited by clockwork247; 11-27-2010 at 01:17 AM.
11-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Since you think you are leaning towards specific genres rather than know you are, I'd stick with the kit lenses for now. As pointed out above, they are very cheap when brought with a body and they cover a good wide range of focal lengths. I'd suggest getting the twin-lens kit and taking photos - lots of photos of all different types. In a year or so you should have a far better idea of what you want to do and what is limiting your results - though most of the time for all of us we are the limiting factor, not our hardware and software!
11-27-2010, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #7

Keith,
16-45 is not enough range for portraits, it should be extended to 75 or 85.
If IQ is important, of course multiple primes give best results, but usage is a bit more difficult because of lens change pratic.
18-55 is not a bad lens and it is claimed that it is better than canon-nikon kits. but not fast enough for indoors.
for portrait may be tamron 28-75 will be a good alternative.
but 28mm isnt wide enough for landscape, therefore you can use kit for it or think 10-20 which is much more pricey depending on your expectation.
may be you can find pentax friends around your location and try their gears before you buy.
11-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I understand what you are saying as I bought the DL2 and skipped the kit and went with the 16-45, but also purchased the 50-200 at the same time. While I skipped the kit I did get it but it never went on the camera once the 16-45 turned up - it was just as expensive to get it with the body as to get the body alone.
Also someone pointed out to me that as I would eventually move up to a different body then having a 'throwaway' kit lens to put on the body when I offloaded it would be a good move for the next user. And that is what happened. I still use the 50-200 for certain applications but have a choice of 25 other lenses purchased over the last 5 years.

11-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Also someone pointed out to me that as I would eventually move up to a different body then having a 'throwaway' kit lens to put on the body when I offloaded it would be a good move for the next user. And that is what happened. I still use the 50-200 for certain applications but have a choice of 25 other lenses purchased over the last 5 years.
I never thought about this, but it makes great sense! This helps me plan much better! Thank you
11-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Actually, I've never thought about the selling the entire kit as a whole after I've outgrown it. I think I'll stick with getting the kit lenses after all and maybe throwing in a manual prime.
11-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I always suggest to people they get the 2 lens kit because I think it is the best value. Although the 16-45 is better than the 18-55 but like others have said it is too short for portraits. Get the 2 lens kit, shoot with them for a while to learn what you and the camera are capable of then sell them to upgrade.
11-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KeithM2 Quote
Hi all,

I'm getting my first dslr prolly a k-r. However, I'm kinda undecided between getting the 2-lens kit ($850) or just getting a body + DA 16-45mm f/4 used ($900).

The kit lens system gives me more versatility in range but I think I'm leaning towards specializing in doing portraits and landscapes more. I'm worried also about the resell value of DAL lenses vs normal lenses which is why I kinda hesitate with the kit.

Any opinions?

Keith
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
It is difficult to give you some advice without knowing your shootings and uses.

Fortunately, he mentioned his "shootings and Uses" , first sentence, second paragraph.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want to do portraits, I think you'll find that the 16-45mm is too short.

The resale value of DAL lenses is at least 30% lower than regular lenses, but they're also much cheaper at the get-go and quite a bargain.

I'd personally recommend the DA 18-135mm, but I think that it sounds like you're not looking at the higher price range. If my damn FTP would work, I'd have the full-length review uploaded for that lens- but it isn't!

Note sure which kit you're referring to, but if you're taking about this one, then its only $799:
Read the above post as gospel.

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote

Those things won't let you do portrait (the 18-50 isn't fast enough)... you can try but it won't come out nicely..

Get a prime for portrait, and use the 18-50 for landscapes. The problem is low light shooting landscape (which you might not do often because if you're like me, you would not likely bringing 1k of gear out in the open late at night)....

Actually, the 18-50 is fast enough, but it is on the short side.
It would make an OK landscape lens, but any 50mm manual focus lens combined with the 70mm LTD is a killer portrait combination.
11-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you go with the kit then my suggestion is to go with the 18-55 + 55-300 lens combination NOT the 18-55 + 55-200. The 55-300 gets significantly, and fairly consistently, higher ratings than the 55-200, gives you greater reach, and is only slightly more money. If you are unsure you can pick up a SMC 50/1.7 for a reasonable amount and try your hand with it. The Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database and Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database are great places to read about your choices.