Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
A lot of folks I respect swear by grips. I just don't get it.
I don't either. My battery does fine, I don't like extra weight and don't need a place to put an extra card in as my pants have adequate pockets.

11-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
When I bought my K10 three years ago, I bought it as a kit with the DA 12-24/4 and the grip. I take the grip off fairly often - for long enough to charge both batteries. The camera just feels much better with it. I was in a park last summer (Bar - U ranch in Alberta) and in the cafe, there was a lady with a K10. Naturally, we chatted, and she asked how I liked the grip. I told her I was very fond of it, so for a test, we took her lens, put it on my camera, and she tried the combo. She decided that the grip would be more useful to her than the lens she had been considering. It makes that much difference. Her hands were quite a bit smaller than mine, but even in landscape orientation, the grip makes the camera more stable. The vertical controls are just that much extra, and having the spare card with you even when you step out of your vehicle with nothing but the camera is a bonus.

I never, ever put remote F in my pocket, nor do I put my spare card there. They are way too small for my "where the devil did I put it this time" organizational skills. I've been looking for my check book for two days now.
+1 for everything that C_R said

NaCl(except I haven't lost my checkbook)H2O
11-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought it to help steady the camera in the portrait orientation, however, I am using a monopod much more often which sort of makes the original idea not so valid.

But it holds a battery, SD card and remote, which is handy.

It also helps elicit the "wow, that's a really nice camera" comments.
11-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I bought it to help steady the camera in the portrait orientation, however, I am using a monopod much more often which sort of makes the original idea not so valid.

But it holds a battery, SD card and remote, which is handy.

It also helps elicit the "wow, that's a really nice camera" comments.
Yes, I get that as well, particularly with that great big DA* 16-50 on the front. One humorous occasion was in the middle of the night (literally, midnight game) I was snapping some photos of "rusty blades" hockey with the DA* 50-135 where my son in law was playing. A fellow spectator and I had a nice chat about the fun the guys were having. As he was leaving he spoke briefly with another couple. I left when I got cold, and went into the bar to watch the rest of the game, and he came to the table with a big grin saying "They asked me whether you were with the newspaper with that exotic rig, and I said, 'No - he's an NHL scout' and they bought it".

11-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
The K20D I recently purchased came with a Pentax Battery grip, but Im struggling to see the use for it.
As it is, the K20D is a nice hefty camera, so why make it bigger? I can carry around a spare battery if needed in my pocket, so what is/are the point in battery grips?
For ergonomics or better handling, if the camera was the size of the K-x, then yes, I have large hands, so I would probably want one, but is there any other uses for them before I decide to sell it?
If you have one, let me know why, especially if you have a large camera, as it might be my inexperience that is stopping me seeing how good these things are?
The grip is mostly for extended shooting.
And though its true we can simply swap a pack and continue our our way, that idea doesn't always work when a shooter is on location working in the moment.

There have been quite a few jobs where events demanded full coverage. Though even in a studio setting, having to stop in shoot and swap packs can make or break the creative moment.

Aside from that, there is of course the portrait mode controls(shutter and dials). However, I don't think that's much or a deal breaker insofar as shooting in the grove(so to speak) if anything more than a marketing convenience.

With that said, there isn't much else I could offer on the subject beyond that of bigger hands(as you mentioned). Though the K20D has always felt somewhat generous insofar as size goes with regards to the Pentax lineup.

My resolve has been to keep a grip on one camera, and I use my main without it. Which just works better on a monopod or tripod and of course, to walk around with etc.
11-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of us geezers

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The grip is mostly for extended shooting.

*snip*

Aside from that, there is of course the portrait mode controls(shutter and dials). However, I don't think that's much or a deal breaker insofar as shooting in the grove(so to speak) if anything more than a marketing convenience.
John, so of us old...er...more mature shooters actually find the portrait mode dials and buttons one of the greatest benifits. I know that I used to get hand cramps with the K10D after a day's shooting without the grip even if less than 1/3 my shots were in portrait mode. After getting the grip I hardly ever get hand cramps any more. Probably not of interest to anyone under 60 but it is a big important point for us geezers.

NaCl(I guess I could call myself an "elder statesman" but "geezer" is more accurate)H2O
11-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

One more vote for Yay. It gives me piece of mind that I know that when the main battery on the K7 dies, I'll be able to keep shooting.

Plus, all the other advantages that people have mentioned.

11-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

edgedemon....Your question well and truly answered and I'm pleased for you you're keeping the grip.

I have a GX10 and GX20. The '20' is always 'gripped' and is my travel camera. Whereas the '10' is almost permanently set up on tripod or copy stand indoors without a grip. Under these conditions, there's no real advantage.

Last edited by fotaki; 11-28-2010 at 01:26 PM.
11-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

When I go somewhere, I always carry more than one lens (zoom + prime or prime + prime). One lens on the camera and the other lens elsewhere. This means that I have a camera bag with me. Whether the Pentax sling pack, or a smaller one. With either bag, I also have room for extra batteries and cards. To me, travelling light means using the smaller bag, 2 lenses, and an extra battery / sd card.

In the last few months, I have been using DA LTD's more than zoom's, so I don't really see the point in adding more weight to the camera by adding a grip. It only takes a few seconds to change a battery or SD card. Shooting vertically isn't a problem for me without the grip. You just get used to turning your hand sideways.

This is why I never really looked into getting the grip for the K7. The extra battery space and card slot just don't do it for me when it comes to the added weight and size.
11-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotaki Quote
edgedemon....Your question well and truly answered and I'm pleased for you you're keeping the grip.

I have a GX10 and GX20. The '20' is always 'gripped' and is my travel camera. Whereas the '10' is almost permanently set up on tripod or copy stand indoors without a grip. Under these conditions, there's no real advantage.
I agree, since it came with the camera, Im keeping it as it doesn't take up much room and Im getting that it is a handy thing to have..
Interesting to see how divided opinion is though..
11-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought the battery grip for my K-5 and it will never come off. Not only does it provide all the niceties outlined above but it also provides twice the battery power which you will need if using the K-5 since the Live View is so damned awesome and will burn through your power faster.

Jack
11-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #27

QUESTION: Of those who have battery grips, who has a third-party model (not Pentax) and have you had any problems? For that matter, has anyone had problems with the genuine Pentax models?

I read this thread with interest as I'm considering the pros and cons of a grip. After reading this, I suspect the grip is not for me. As others have said, vertical shooting never posed a problem (It never occurred to me that this was a major advantage of the grip!), and as I carry a bag with me anyway, there's plenty of storage for SD cards and extra batteries.

So if I were to buy a grip, I think I'd be more inclined to go for a cheaper option. But how cheap is too cheap? This model goes for $A54 (Battery Grip for Pentax K20D K10D D-BG2 +2 X D-Li50 B2U (eBay item 120616124662 end time 30-Dec-10 20:02:45 AEDST) : Cameras).

I've bought a reasonably cheap third-party battery-PACK and have had no adverse issues so far, so I'd be keen to know if anyone has actually had a bad experience with GRIP models such as the one in this link.
11-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I am a huge fan of the Grip. Had one on my K10 since I got it and have taken it off only a handful of times. I just got the K5 and now shopping for the grip. It just makes the camera feel better in my hands. For Marcdgn I would say go with the Pentax one. I just think why by a $1600 camera (K5) and put on something that will save you a few bucks and possible mess with your warranty (not sure it would but).
11-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
just thought, the extra SD card slot - is it an either camera or grip, or do I now have dual sd card capability?
No, the SD card is not connected to the camera. It's just a convenient place to store an extra SD card where it will be quick and easy to access if you need to change.

Providing a place to store the remote and an extra SD card is one of the smartest ideas I've ever seen for an external grip. I picked mine up to give me portrait orientation controls and to give me a better grip when using lenses like my Tamron SP 180mm f2.5 and my Tamron SP 300mm f2.8. Getting storage areas for the tiny remote and SD cards was just gravy.
11-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I've seen grips on a Nikon and a Canon in the store, played with them a bit. They're not for me, no. I don't even really like the Contax winder that came with my FRI as it turns out. It just adds weight and bulk I don't want. I understand why a grip/winder is useful I just don't particularly like the feel of a camera when either one is on it. I find it very awkward and I don't think I'd ever purchase one for myself. I'd much rather just live without a winder for my SLR's and carry rechargeable AA's for the digital.