Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Usefulness of the grip is partly personal preference (where nobody else's opinion matters), partly tied to the quality and features of the grip itself and certainly linked to shooting style.

I love grips for most uses and do at least half my shooting in vertical orientation where the second shutter release is very handy. However, I absolutely hate the grip for the K10 and K20 cameras: clunky, poor ergonomic fit, one of the worst grips to come out of the Pentax factory. Try the MZS film camera grip or the newer K5/K7 grip and you'll see how aweful the grip is for the K10/K20. And this isn't a "my hand vs your hand" issue of fit. I defy anyone to try any of the nicely designed Pentax grips and then still say good things about the K10/K20 "afterthought" grip. The only nice thing typically stated about this grip is the neato tricky storage--yawn--storage doesn't help my shooting in the least. I don't need a garage in my hand to store stuff while I'm shooting!

I only use the K10 grip when shooting with a lens equipped with a tripod collar so I don't actually hold the grip...simply use it for the vertical release. Handheld "walkabout" shooting without the grip is far more preferable to me rather than carrying the brick full of "extra stuff." Also note that I don't use a camera strap and only rarely handhold my camera. When I do, I don't want it to be a photo backpack full of extra batteries, and storage media and spare lenses and tripod pocket and...O.K. I'm exaggerating a little bit here, but really, is the grip supposed to take the place of your Pelican waterproof storage case?

One of my traveling photo buddies loved his K10 grip...and fought with me about my hatred of the worthless brick...he never removed his and slept with it like a girlfriend. Then he got a K7 and it's much improved grip and understands what I've been whining about regarding "the brick" for the K10.

In the end, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks of your grip. If you like to shoot with it then do so. If you don't then don't.

Last edited by Ron Boggs; 11-30-2010 at 11:09 AM.
11-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
The K20D I recently purchased came with a Pentax Battery grip, but Im struggling to see the use for it.
As it is, the K20D is a nice hefty camera, so why make it bigger? I can carry around a spare battery if needed in my pocket, so what is/are the point in battery grips?
For ergonomics or better handling, if the camera was the size of the K-x, then yes, I have large hands, so I would probably want one, but is there any other uses for them before I decide to sell it?
If you have one, let me know why, especially if you have a large camera, as it might be my inexperience that is stopping me seeing how good these things are?
I've had 2 of them on the K10/20. Hated both of them (for similar reasons you state), sold both of them. I have on on the K5, love it. Even if I don't use the duplicated controls, it makes the camera the perfect size for me.

11-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

One of the great advantages of the Pentax system is that everything can be small, light, unobtrusive. I've used grips and large-bodied DSLRs from other manufacturers and it just seems to make everything worse, ergonomically. I guess 50% of my shots are portrait format (what I really wish for: square sensor) and I just don't have an issue with rotating the camera in front of my face. A place for an SD card? That's what my bag is for, or a zippable coat pocket. I can locate and insert a spare battery in 30 seconds and I'm not a professional sports photographer so that's really not an issue.

I guess it makes the camera look more expensive/"pro", but that's totally the opposite of what I want in allsituations I can think of.
11-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I couldn't hold the K-7/K-5 without the grip because of my big hands, without the grip I have to use 2 fingers and Thumb to hold my K-5 which make it real hard to shoot a picture.
I LOVE the extra battery life too. I just wish the remote fit into the grip to.

11-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I wrote a huge thing, but my computer decided to not let it go through

Basically, I have grips for both cameras but I do not use them exclusively. It all depends on the mood im in, what kind of shooting I want to do, etc.
12-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Big Yay vote for me. I have really big hands and having the grip gives me a lot more camera too hold on to. Plus you get the benefits of having a double the battery power and a second set of controls. IMO nothing looks better than a camera with a grip attached.
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #37

I only got the K200D because the grip was an option - and at the time the K20D was out of my price range.

I love it! I have big hands and it makes holding the camera much easier, as well as taking portrait shots.

The camera plus grip still fit (quite snugly) into a snoot bag.

It's a little heavy for the missus, but the added power and versatility far outweigh any cons.

Matt

12-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought the grip for my K10D shortly after receiving the DA 17-70 a couple years ago. The 17-70 is quite heavy and made my hand ache after shooting all day with it (the only lens ever to do this to me). The grip balances the camera and enabled me to shoot for hours on end without any difficulty.

I set my camera to be powered from the grip battery first, so when it's exhausted I only have to change that one if I do it quickly enough (instead of taking off the grip to remove the other battery), yet I still have the battery in the camera as backup.

The grip is also really useful in storing my remote because it's too small to store in my camera bag and I don't like things in my pockets.

I'd suggest you keep the grip attached for a couple months, then take it off and see if the camera feels/looks naked without it. Then you'll be able to better decide if you're keeping it around.