Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Battery grips = yay or nay?

The K20D I recently purchased came with a Pentax Battery grip, but Im struggling to see the use for it.
As it is, the K20D is a nice hefty camera, so why make it bigger? I can carry around a spare battery if needed in my pocket, so what is/are the point in battery grips?
For ergonomics or better handling, if the camera was the size of the K-x, then yes, I have large hands, so I would probably want one, but is there any other uses for them before I decide to sell it?
If you have one, let me know why, especially if you have a large camera, as it might be my inexperience that is stopping me seeing how good these things are?

11-27-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always used a grip even since I got a K10. To this day, my K-5 has got its grip permanently attached.

IMO it makes the camera much easier to hold, and not only for verticals! The added weight of the grip works as a counterweight for larger lenses, and thus makes heavier lenses like the FA* 85mm or even the DA 18-135mm much easier to hold.

I also really like being able to not have to carry stuff in a camera bag. The grip solves that as well- the extra battery and sd card go inside, and the remote goes in my pocket!

I do a lot of traveling, so the grip also lets me not have to worry about bringing my charger.

The vertical controls and weather-sealing are just icing on the cake

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2010, 02:26 AM   #3

i know that this wont be a big help for you, but the fact that there is no battery grip for the Kx is one of the biggest complaints i have about it. i have bigger hands, and if i´m not travelling (sometimes even then) i would appreciate a grip very much. well, my next upgrade in a few years will fix that.
11-27-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
For me, all my bodies have grips fitted all the time.

I have large hands and they certainly give me the extra touch/feel I need.

Apart from the obvious benefits of additional storage of battery, SD card and that tiny remote, they also provide for me an invaluable set of extra buttons for vertical shooting.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-16-2010 at 02:57 PM.
11-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
See - the benefit of experience, Id never considered vertical shooting! I have just screwed the grip on and seen it does make a difference vertically - doh..
Thanks guys - its a keeper now..

edit

just thought, the extra SD card slot - is it an either camera or grip, or do I now have dual sd card capability?
11-27-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just to add the point of having some extra protection and toughness to the camera.

The SD card slot in the grip it's just for storage; not the most useful thing you get from a grip, as you can simply have it on your pocket.
11-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good decision.
Grip suits the K20D very well.
It's well worth it.

OTOH, it's not feasible for a grip to be made for an entry-level camera.
No other brand offers OEM grips for theirs, so Pentax aren't disappointing us unduly.
If users are after grips, it'd be well worth the investment going for the advanced models that offer them.

11-27-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
The K20D I recently purchased came with a Pentax Battery grip, but Im struggling to see the use for it.
As it is, the K20D is a nice hefty camera, so why make it bigger? I can carry around a spare battery if needed in my pocket, so what is/are the point in battery grips?
For ergonomics or better handling, if the camera was the size of the K-x, then yes, I have large hands, so I would probably want one, but is there any other uses for them before I decide to sell it?
If you have one, let me know why, especially if you have a large camera, as it might be my inexperience that is stopping me seeing how good these things are?
The point with a grip is that it is not yay or nay, it is yay and nay. You get two different cameras. Both the K20D and the K-7 really need the grip if you work with a bigger and heavier lens, independent of the size of you hands. You can also hold it in vertical position when shooting portraits in a better way. Longer battery life too. Just wish the extra memory card was actually connected to the camera. I presume that if you have large hands it also makes the cameras more ergonomic. I have quite small hands myself, so I wouldn't know, but I'm still hapy with my grips for the reasons above.
11-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you take many shots in portrait orientation, the grip is really helpful to help you keep good posture. I know that Pentax cameras have image stabilization built into the body, but you still want to minimize camera shake as much as possible. This means relaxing your arms, keeping your elbows in toward your body. Hard for me to do without a grip.

As Douglas mentions, it is fine to shoot some with the grip and take it off if you are going on a short trip and just want to stick a prime on and go.
11-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You have the grip so try it out. Next determine yes or no.
11-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
And does that grip not make a convenient place to carry a wireless remote and additional SD card? That's good news in my experience. I have a third party battery grip that may not insulate the battery against the cold very well but otherwise I have developed a strong preference in using one with my K10. It just allows you to hand the camera differently. Almost like with a different confidence because you now have something to really grab and just a bit more to feel. And yes with certain lenses it helps create a balance in weight and your hold on that lens.
11-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of folks I respect swear by grips. I just don't get it.
11-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once I got hold of a grip for my K20D it never came off again. Vertical shooting is an advantage but do not underestimate the added stability for low shutterspeed shots because of the added bulk/weight. I find it greatly enhances my control over the camera.

When I do take it off at times, the K20D feels almost flimsy in my hands - stupid really - but the grip and me are very close pals!
11-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I've had a battery grip on all my DSLR cameras going back to my Minolta 7D because I like the added weight it gives to the lightweight cameras being produced now. Surprisingly I very seldom make use of the extra controls because I shot 35mm for so many years it is completely natural to me to keep my hand in the same location for shooting verticals.
11-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I bought my K10 three years ago, I bought it as a kit with the DA 12-24/4 and the grip. I take the grip off fairly often - for long enough to charge both batteries. The camera just feels much better with it. I was in a park last summer (Bar - U ranch in Alberta) and in the cafe, there was a lady with a K10. Naturally, we chatted, and she asked how I liked the grip. I told her I was very fond of it, so for a test, we took her lens, put it on my camera, and she tried the combo. She decided that the grip would be more useful to her than the lens she had been considering. It makes that much difference. Her hands were quite a bit smaller than mine, but even in landscape orientation, the grip makes the camera more stable. The vertical controls are just that much extra, and having the spare card with you even when you step out of your vehicle with nothing but the camera is a bonus.

I never, ever put remote F in my pocket, nor do I put my spare card there. They are way too small for my "where the devil did I put it this time" organizational skills. I've been looking for my check book for two days now.