Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some good advice. Let me add a personal experience.

I just come back from 12 weeks on the road, incl. 5 weeks in France, 1 week in Japan, 1 week in Oman, 4 weeks in Taiwan. I took with me:
- K7
- DA18-250mm as an all-around lens
- a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 as a fast prime for low light conditions.

My basic/most usual setup was the K-7 + DA18-250mm carried together in a Lowepro Toploader TLZ1 bag (with battery charger, USB cable & adapter). Note that the DA18-250mm has its own hood: the hood is important during sunny days .

The fast prime was kept in my luggage or my jacket pocket. I used it:
- at dusk and dawn,
- during low light conditions incl. fogg & smogg

In addition, I had a 16 Gb Sandisk Extreme III card that was plenty enough. I carried a notebook and I would backup my shots every 48 h on the computer. I also setup a LCD screen protector, to prevent scratch on the LCD when its rubbed on my belly.

All in all, I was very happy with the setup and I had no problem I found using the fast prime more often than initially thought because the Voigtlander Nokton IQ is oustanding and the lens works very nicely for outdoor shooting incl. in foggy/smoggy conditions.

Hope that the comment will help....

11-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 lens hoods
+1 Bier & Wurst
11-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Jolepp - My wife and I enjoyed many a bratwurst with good German senf at the Mohne See when I was stationed in Soest. It was a favourite stop. I also have a number of boxes of Agfa negatives in the photo cabinet, all taken with my much loved Asahi Pentax.
12-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #19

Original Poster
i'm back. after a bit more thought on this matter, i have started wandering in the world of ultra-wide zooms.

i did a quick search on B&H and came up with this link , would anybody care to comment on either the lenses in there, or the suitability of taking an ultrawide zoom (thanks to those that suggested them)? i have considered looking into something like a da15, but i'm starting to think i might appreciate having the zoom capability with good magnification?

thanks all!

12-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imaspy Quote
i'm back. after a bit more thought on this matter, i have started wandering in the world of ultra-wide zooms.

i did a quick search on B&H and came up with this link , would anybody care to comment on either the lenses in there, or the suitability of taking an ultrawide zoom (thanks to those that suggested them)? i have considered looking into something like a da15, but i'm starting to think i might appreciate having the zoom capability with good magnification?

thanks all!
I personally own the DA 12-24, and would not swap it for anything else. This lens may be 2 mm longer at the short end than some of the competition, but it is a superb lens and has that "Pentax Look" that takes it a step above. The 24mm longest focal length is very handy as a moderate wide angle. I have no complaints with this lens at all. You can look in my Flickr site (signature) and see how it works.

If I were visiting a city, this is the lens that would be first mounted on my camera. I recommend it for a trip such as you plan.
12-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

A lot depends on how you plan to travel once you get there, and how easy it is to take along equipment, and what you like to photograph.

I have never been outside the US/Canada, but if I went on a trip to Europe, I'd have two bodies, 10-300mm lenses with some overlap, 6' tripod, and of course a computer to view/store pictures.

Paul
12-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
A lot depends on how you plan to travel once you get there, and how easy it is to take along equipment, and what you like to photograph.

I have never been outside the US/Canada, but if I went on a trip to Europe, I'd have two bodies, 10-300mm lenses with some overlap, 6' tripod, and of course a computer to view/store pictures.

Paul
That can be a bit impractical while traveling no?

I guess you could leave one of the bodies in the hotel (or wherever you're staying) but traveling in Europe means traveling light so it would probably be somewhat annoying having to haul all that gear around.
12-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
Unless you are planning on making photography the main purpose of your trip, I would strongly emphasize traveling light. 1 body, 1-2 lenses, leave the rest at home. I would ditch the lens cleaning supplies, I would buy lithiums and leave the recharging hardware at home, and I would get high-capacity SD cards instead of lugging the laptop. The less stuff you bring, the less hassle, the less risk of loss/theft, and the more enjoyable traveling becomes.

As far as lenses go, I would bring something that covers wide to normal/short-tele. I would also consider getting something fast, for low-light and candids. The 35/2.8 is probably fast enough and a nice lens. Zooms are useful for cutting down on lens changes. The DA12-24, the 16-45, or any of the 16/17/18-50 zooms would be nice to have.

12-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #24

Original Poster
thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated.

i would have to say that i am of the same opinion as anthers, i don't want to be carrying too much stuff around. i would never be taking more than one body, and besides which, that would mean i'd have to purchase another body

so i guess i better start figuring out a kit so i can start saving for / acquiring what i don't already have

so here goes (* = do not have this yet)

Kit 1 - "least amount to buy"

- Kx

- Sigma 18 - 125 std zoom with useful range, good for everyday
- DA 35mm f2.8 macro it's the da35 - compact and awesome
- *DA 12 24 f4 wide zoom

- 8gb sd + *32gb sdhc
- couple of sets of lithiums. can always but more
- USB cable - just in case
- mini lenspen
- the compact p&s + charger (also runs off SD)

- *one of these to put it in, or maybe something like this - just have to get in store and try them out to see which would work better.

so - as far as lenses go. my feeling is this:
- can't not take the da35; it's so small that it could fit in a multitude of spots and is a great lens
- are either of the zooms too slow? what should i be looking at instead for kit option 2? aim for more 2.8?

thanks

andrew.
12-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #25
hcc
Pentaxian

Andrew
Two comments:

* do not forget your adapter to plug your charger to the European plug;

* your kit lacks a lens for low light. (f2.8 is not a very large aperture.) Unless you travel in June-July when the sunrise is about 05:00 and sunset about 10:00pm, I would consider a fast prime lens for low light shooting.

Have a good and safe trip.....
12-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have a good one. +1 on the gorillapod, or, my favourite, an ultrapod II.
12-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Andrew
Two comments:

* do not forget your adapter to plug your charger to the European plug;

* your kit lacks a lens for low light. (f2.8 is not a very large aperture.) Unless you travel in June-July when the sunrise is about 05:00 and sunset about 10:00pm, I would consider a fast prime lens for low light shooting.
1. good point.

2. yeah that was my main concern. any suggestions?

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Have a good one. +1 on the gorillapod, or, my favourite, an ultrapod II.
aaah good point. it's going on the list
12-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #28
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imaspy Quote
2. yeah that was my main concern. any suggestions?
imaspy
I was in Europe in September this year. I took 2 lenses with my K-7: (1) the DA18-250mm that was my basic default lens for all-around photography and (2) Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4.

I was very pleased by the Notkon f1.4. It has excellent IQ and the MF allows (in my opinion) to shoot in darker conditions than most AF lenses. I can strongly recommend the lens for low light conditions.

Here is an example of shot that I took on 24 Sept. 2010 at sunset about 19:30:

Details:
Lens: Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Bay of Mt St Michel, France ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F3.2 - Minimum PP with PDCU 4.31

Let me put the above photograph in the context. On that evening, I was shooting with the DA18-250mm until 19:15-19:20 when the light became too dark for the DA18-250mm. I was already at ISO 3200 and the AF was sluggish in the low light.

Then I switched to the Nokton 58mm and I was able to shoot at ISO 100 until 19:40. At 20:00 I was still shooting at ISO 400. I stopped to shoot at 20:10 because I went home. (All the photographs were taken without flash.) I am convinced that I coudl have shot for at last 1 hour more with the Nokton 58mm than with the DA18-250mm.

Hope that the comment and experience will be of help.....
12-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice photo. Were you using a tripod?
Thanks,
Kent

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
imaspy
I was in Europe in September this year. I took 2 lenses with my K-7: (1) the DA18-250mm that was my basic default lens for all-around photography and (2) Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4.

I was very pleased by the Notkon f1.4. It has excellent IQ and the MF allows (in my opinion) to shoot in darker conditions than most AF lenses. I can strongly recommend the lens for low light conditions.

Here is an example of shot that I took on 24 Sept. 2010 at sunset about 19:30:

Details:
Lens: Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Bay of Mt St Michel, France ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F3.2 - Minimum PP with PDCU 4.31

Let me put the above photograph in the context. On that evening, I was shooting with the DA18-250mm until 19:15-19:20 when the light became too dark for the DA18-250mm. I was already at ISO 3200 and the AF was sluggish in the low light.

Then I switched to the Nokton 58mm and I was able to shoot at ISO 100 until 19:40. At 20:00 I was still shooting at ISO 400. I stopped to shoot at 20:10 because I went home. (All the photographs were taken without flash.) I am convinced that I coudl have shot for at last 1 hour more with the Nokton 58mm than with the DA18-250mm.

Hope that the comment and experience will be of help.....
12-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #30
Pentaxian

as others have said it really depends on what and where you are going.

I have done several trips to europe, where I took varrying kits.

these include

17 days in france (Paris, Lyon, and the south from cassis to carcassone) took 10-20, 28-75 and 70-200. the 70-200 mostly stayed in the bag

3 days in paris, took 10-20, 28-75 and 85F1,4
3 days in paris took M42 lenses from 28-85mm
3 days in prague took 10-20, 28-75 and 135F2,5
10 days prague budapest and vienna took 8mm fisheye 10-20, 28-75 and 85F1.4

my conclusion is that you need to cover from 10-100mm and no more