Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens hoods?

Hi i was wondering if a tulip lens hood or just a round lens hood is better?

11-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tulips are usually better for zooms, as they're fitted for each particular lens. They're easier to put on and offer more shade, but are harder to get your hands on.

With primes, you'll oftentimes still see round hoods as the focal length is fixed and the whole thing can be as long as needed.
11-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Ananta Androscoggin

I've personally discovered that bayonet-mount tulip lens hoods don't spin around as you change focus, which the screw-in-the-filter-thread tulips do. Unless you have a lens which doesn't rotate the 'business-end' of the lens barrel as you focus (I don't).
11-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi matsui,

Tulip hoods are designed to prevent or at least decrease corner vignetting, which is more relevant to shorter FL lenses. They do probably protect a bit more against stray light, but only in some instances and certain situations.

For tele lenses, the petals probably serve no significant function other than allowing a design that is deeper yet more cylindrical than conical.

The petaled ones are cooler looking though. . .

Scott

11-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I suspect it's that a lens hood for a wide angle lens has to be a tulip and for a longer lens can be round, hence a hood for a zoom that goes from wide to longer (like the 18-135) will have a tulip hood that won't be so effective at the long end - an optimal hood for the long end would cause problems at the short end.
11-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matsui255 Quote
Hi i was wondering if a tulip lens hood or just a round lens hood is better?
Just to add that tulip hoods are more effective than the more conventional cylindrical because they are designed to mimic the best shape for the sensor/film plane which is the rectangular; a tulip (or petal) shape is, in simple terms, a projection of a rectangle on a spherical space; if you look at a professional movie/video camera generally you will not see a circular hood but rather a rectangular. On a photographic camera they look kind of awkward but they were and still are used in some old cameras.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 01-18-2011 at 02:20 PM.
11-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I suspect it's that a lens hood for a wide angle lens has to be a tulip and for a longer lens can be round, hence a hood for a zoom that goes from wide to longer (like the 18-135) will have a tulip hood that won't be so effective at the long end - an optimal hood for the long end would cause problems at the short end.
Not in every case. I have a tamron SP 60-300mm for which I use a 3-stage round rubber hood. I use the same on a few other of my manual zooms to good effect. In the case of the 60-300, the third party hood is far more effective and easier to use than the original (covering as it does all FL's).

Some 'petal' hoods I've seen rotate and have a locking screw - so one can use them on rotating lens barrels. Not really sure that's much advantage in the end.

Last edited by fotaki; 11-28-2010 at 10:39 AM.
11-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So do you think I should even buy the hood I am kind of confused. I have the Pentax 18-55 and 55-300.
11-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fotaki Quote
Not really sure that's much advantage in the end.
Right. No practical use, IMO.
11-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

So do you think I should even buy the hood I am kind of confused. I have the Pentax 18-55 and 55-300.
What happened to the standard hood of the lens? Didn't come with one?
11-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You should invest in a hood of some kind for your lenses. If you don't have the factory hoods, pick up an after-market hood. After-market hoods may not have been designed specifically for your lens, but even a modest amount of protection is better than none at all.
11-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Hood for Pentax Ph-Rba SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Zoom Lens as 38741: Camera & Photo for the kit lens anyway.
11-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In theory the 'petal' hood with locking screw can be used with a PL filter viz. to adjust the filter and hood to give normal cover. However, in practice.......?

IMO it's not absolutely necessary to use the original hood. If your lens comes without it, there are plenty of third party alternatives that work effectively.

As already said above, all lenses will benefit from the use of an appropriate hood.
11-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
What happened to the standard hood of the lens? Didn't come with one?
No the new ones do not come with them anymore I guess.
11-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No the new ones do not come with them anymore I guess.
That's a shame but you can buy them cheap and you should do so. A lens hood is an important accessory to photography for reasons already mentioned.

Jodokast has already pointed out a cheap lens hood replacement for your lenses, so no big deal, buy one and your problem is solved.