Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A dummy guide for AF 360FGZ?

Hello everyone,

I am not exactly new to photography, since I got my first camera when I was seven, and have kept more or less firmly attached to one during the subsequent 31 years.

But somehow I was never much into flash photography - possibly because I mostly shoot nature and wildlife.

Back in the film days I had a decent flash for my OM-10. It had two buttons: On/Off and TTL/Manual. I put it on the shoe, and it worked.

Now I decided it was time to move on past the built-in flash in my K7. So I bought an AF 360FGZ, which was reasonably prized and listed in the recommended gear list on this site.

I mounted it on my hot shoe... and felt lost. There were a LOT of buttons. There was a manual. I flipped through it, found it a bit uninformative. I could make out what some of the buttons meant, like M/C/S meaning master, control and slave, but other bits of info I could not find - like how to adjust the ISO setting (which did not automatically follow the camera), or whether to use P-TTL or A on my K7. In the end I decided to just plug and play a bit.

As the evening passed on, I had a sad mixture of overexposed shots, long shutter time shots where the flash did not fire at all, weird shots where the flash fired twice and the exposure was triggered at the second flash (by which time I was pointing my camera in a random direction) - in short, I felt like a complete idiot.

To make matters perfect, my manual appeared to have left with the dirty napkins and was unrecoverable. I suppose I can find it online as a pdf - but I get the feeling that what I really need is an introduction to post-stone-age flash technology.

Could anyone in here point me to a good resource - a very basic one I suppose?

Any advice is appreciated!

11-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello

I don't have the 360FGZ flash so I can't help you in that. Someone may come up with what your need. In the meantime, you could read this; that's is a bit on the advanced side but a good reading anyway.

Digital SLR and P-TTL flash guide

To use the flash in wireless mode, check this out:

AF360FGZ - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

look for the watch video link, below the flash description on the left side of the page.

Also, download the manual and read it throughly, testing all the functions as you are going. Take your time and you will get the hang of it.