Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New guy with some questions

New to the forum and to DSLR's in general. I'm tired of the mediocre shots I'm getting with my point and shoot cameras when I am in some of the most amazing places in the world. Planning to take some classes once I make the investment so I can use my new toy properly.

I'm going to be using the camera when backpacking, working on ski patrol and throwing it in a sealed dry box in the back of my kayak to shoot some action shots from the river bank of fellow kayakers. It needs to be able to hold up to some trips. My camera is not going to get dunked in the water, but rain drops and dust are probable.

Pentax seemed like the most bang for the buck and there is not a weather sealed micro four thirds available at this point.

I am thinking K-5. I was planning on the kit lens (18-55mm) and adding the 50-200mm. The reviews on both of those lenses are mediocre, but they are inexpensive.

The reviews on the new 18-135mm are better, but at $500 it adds some pause.

How much can I expect to get for a brand new kit lens if I sell mine? This might help to bridge the cost gap.

Thoughts?

11-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

From reading here I've the impression that the Pentax weather sealing would good for the kind of use you have in mind (it doesn't make it scuba gear, but should help a lot in less severe conditions). I'd get the K-5 18-135 kit which would be a good general purpose piece (less lens swapping and hence less change of junk getting in, also less lost photo opportunities) and thus avoid the hassle of selling the 18-55 kit lens; $500 is not terribly expensive as lenses go and that particular lens would seem like a good fit for your use, that is, you'd get a versatile, sealed and compact DLSR kit. Later you might want to expand on the lenses as you gather experience as to what kind of needs for focal length and otherwise you encounter in practice. With DLSRs it is typical that body is the part that is going to be replaced every couple of years (losing most of its value in the meantime) and the lenses you aquire to suit your needs are the big invesment in the long run; this should be kept in mind when making the initial choice of brand (then again it is not a total disaster if you need to switch brands eventually as the lenses keep their value fairly well especially so if bought second hand).
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In my opinion, the DA 18-55 AL II which the WR version has same optical fomular is not mediocre at all .

Just one sample

11-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #4

Check Marketplace Sold items

You can get a good idea of what fellow Pentaxians will pay. The last 18-55ll sold for $100.

I work a lot in very dusty environments (a nasty, corrosive, alkaline dust that eats cameras!) and have wanted a weather-resistant mid-range zoom for some time. The 18-135 is very appealing, but, like you, have a bit of sticker shock. Hopefully, the price might ease a bit in the New Year. It would be a good range for your intended use.

Mike

Last edited by Stringmike; 11-29-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typo
11-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Has anyone seem the 18-135 as part of a kit with a K-5 for sale yet?

Taking a kayaking trip to Ecuador the end of this month and would love to bring the new camera with.
11-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SkyDog Quote
Thanks guys. Has anyone seem the 18-135 as part of a kit with a K-5 for sale yet?

Taking a kayaking trip to Ecuador the end of this month and would love to bring the new camera with.
I thought I saw it offered on a local online seller when the K-5 could only be pre-ordered but can't find it any longer :-( BTW Adorama has an used 18-55 WR for $124 so wouldn't expect much more selling one second hand. One thing to keep in mind is that the WR lens selection is not exactly extensive when pondering the choice of your DLSR brand.
11-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #7

As far as I know there is a M42 lense to K mount adaptor. Which means that you can get any screw type lense to fit the K seris cameras. With that said you can purchace a lesser expensive lense like a M42 mount 50-200mm lense and attach it to your beauty K-5. BUT.... you sacrifice the auto zoom/auto focus. So you can get wicked lenses at a fraction of the cost.

here is the M42/K mount....CHEEP!!! $6.12
M42 Lens to PK Adapter for Pentax K10D K20D Km K7 on eBay.ca (item 280586942689 end time 09-Dec-10 02:44:46 EST)
11-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rubbertoy74 Quote
As far as I know there is a M42 lense to K mount adaptor. Which means that you can get any screw type lense to fit the K seris cameras. With that said you can purchace a lesser expensive lense like a M42 mount 50-200mm lense and attach it to your beauty K-5. BUT.... you sacrifice the auto zoom/auto focus. So you can get wicked lenses at a fraction of the cost.

here is the M42/K mount....CHEEP!!! $6.12
M42 Lens to PK Adapter for Pentax K10D K20D Km K7 on eBay.ca (item 280586942689 end time 09-Dec-10 02:44:46 EST)
You can get M42 lenses that are inexpensive and in some cases, stellar performers. Most will likely hold up to a few rain drops and what not but none are weather sealed which seems to be a requirement. As for the Cheap adapter, I would be very careful about using them and would only recommend a genuine Pentax adapter.

To SkyDog, Were I you, I would just bite the bullet and get the lens I want from the get go. Just buy the body and buy the lens in separate packages and be done with it. Even as a kit, the lens is likely going to just add the full amount to the price rather than having any significant discount. In your situation, paying $150 extra for the 18-55 and hoping to recover it and put it towards the 18-135 sounds like a giant pain in the ass to me. That said, the DA18-55 WR (I don't think it's the same as the DAII that people are mentioning), isn't a terrible lens. It has it's sweet spot like most zooms do, around 25mm at f8(ish).

11-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I thought I saw it offered on a local online seller when the K-5 could only be pre-ordered but can't find it any longer :-( BTW Adorama has an used 18-55 WR for $124 so wouldn't expect much more selling one second hand. One thing to keep in mind is that the WR lens selection is not exactly extensive when pondering the choice of your DLSR brand.
No doubt. The lack of any weather sealing claim from Nikkor lenses is what turned me away from Nikon cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
To SkyDog, Were I you, I would just bite the bullet and get the lens I want from the get go. Just buy the body and buy the lens in separate packages and be done with it. Even as a kit, the lens is likely going to just add the full amount to the price rather than having any significant discount. In your situation, paying $150 extra for the 18-55 and hoping to recover it and put it towards the 18-135 sounds like a giant pain in the ass to me. That said, the DA18-55 WR (I don't think it's the same as the DAII that people are mentioning), isn't a terrible lens. It has it's sweet spot like most zooms do, around 25mm at f8(ish).

This makes sense. I'm just trying to wrap my head around dropping a boat load of cash on something that I don't have any experience with at this point. I'm just not sure that this is the smart thing to do, but I am determined to get better photos and want a camera that is stout enough to bring along on my trips. Someone talk me out of this!!!
11-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SkyDog Quote
No doubt. The lack of any weather sealing claim from Nikkor lenses is what turned me away from Nikon cameras.

This makes sense. I'm just trying to wrap my head around dropping a boat load of cash on something that I don't have any experience with at this point. I'm just not sure that this is the smart thing to do, but I am determined to get better photos and want a camera that is stout enough to bring along on my trips. Someone talk me out of this!!!
Consider the K7 which can be had for about $700 (used) right now and add the DA18-135. Unless you see yourself needing rapid fire auto focus or very high ISO, it will more than serve your purpose. It just won't be shiny and new (I couldn't resist the K5 any longer ). I will say on the other hand though, until I Used the K5 I never would have thought I would go above ISO 400 on Any camera. I love having the high ISO available for no flash indoor shots. In that situation (family settings) the K5 absolutely rocks.

Did I talk you out of it? Didn't think so (it only hurts for a little while)..

11-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It might help if you described why you're dissatisfied with your p&s images. The newer p&s cameras, especially those that allow at least some manual adjustments, can take very good pictures. The small sensors can't do high iso and you might not want to produce poster-sized prints with them, but they can make excellent pictures nonetheless.

For the kind of activities you're describing, it's not a trivial change to go from a p&s to a dslr. You need 2 lenses (at least) to cover the range of a p&s, and any accessories you need (tripod, for example) will be much bigger/heavier for the dslr.

Paul
12-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It might help if you described why you're dissatisfied with your p&s images. The newer p&s cameras, especially those that allow at least some manual adjustments, can take very good pictures. The small sensors can't do high iso and you might not want to produce poster-sized prints with them, but they can make excellent pictures nonetheless.

For the kind of activities you're describing, it's not a trivial change to go from a p&s to a dslr. You need 2 lenses (at least) to cover the range of a p&s, and any accessories you need (tripod, for example) will be much bigger/heavier for the dslr.

Paul
Indeed - and whilst you will get better image quality that's not the same thing as better quality images. I've taken some great images with a Canon A70 (3.2 mega-pixels) and lots of real turkeys with every camera I've ever owned.

Yes, my K7 is a far better performer in technical terms than any previous camera I've owned but it's the same person behind the viewfinder. However to get significantly better results than with the A70 means having somewhat more understanding of what I'm doing with it. If I use it like a P&S I won't get much better images.

Canon A70 shots:
Canon Powershot A70 - a set on Flickr

I even managed a few decent shots with the awful Fuji I used to own, but it was jolly hard work.
12-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

though I lust after a K5 I just settled for a used K7 w/ the 18-55wr (which I probably won't use much)
I think the suggestion of a K7 and getting the 18-135Wr lens holds a lot of value, and in a couple of years you can pick up a used K5 and have the K7 as a back up at about the same total price as getting the K5 with the 18-135 now. biggest loss will be the low light capability, but from your description of where you want to use it it won't be a big issue. and i know the K7 and K5 are weather sealed but for some of you're activities I'd consider using a good rain shield ( though it would be interesting to just find a dive housing for your PS if it's one of the canons they make them for, then it could sit open in the kayak while the slr sit's safely stowed til you hit land)