Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Filters and Hoods

I recently purchased the K-X 18-55mm, 55-300mm kit. I'd like to get some polarising filters and graduated ND filters. Also, I've seen mention in a recent thread that purchasing a hood is a good idea.

So if you use a hood, can you also use filters at the same time? Is it recommended to use them together? I'm ignorant as to how these might work together.

Anyone have recommendations as to decent brands of filters?

Any other words of wisdom regarding this topic is welcome, before I start purchasing.
Thanks,
Kent

11-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a lot of info and opinions on filters on this site and elsewhere. My personal opinion / advice is that if you are going to get a polarizer get a good one. Cheap filters in general can and will degrade your images. I've dumped all of my UV filters for that reason. Good brands are Hoya, B+W, and (I think) Heliopan. I've recently upgraded my filters to Hoya HRT polarizers. They aren't cheap but they work very well. Check out B&H or Adorama stores online. Don't go cheap.

With your lenses, a polarizer will screw on the end of your lens and the lens hood (bayonet type mount) should fit on the lens with the filter inside the hood. I'm a believer in lens hoods too as they protect against lens flare.
11-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, and the hoods for those lenses, you should find, have a little window in the bottom that you can open so that you can turn your polarizers or anything else that needs to rotate. Handy little feature, that.
11-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can get the hoods for about 30-40% on eBay that work well. In fact, I got one of the no-name-brand ones and later got a genuine Pentax hood but it came without the insert for the opening through which you move the polarizing filter, that Ratmagiclady mentioned above, but the insert from the no-name-brand one fit perfectly

The filters fit the threads on the inside of the front edge of the lens, the hoods slide into the track on the outside of the end of the lens because both kit lenses have bayonet mounts for the hoods. If you go to eBay for your hoods then just make sure you get these models:

18-55 =LH-RBA 52mm
55 - 300 =LH-RBG 58mm

11-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are lenstip tests on both kinds:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

For the CPL you might consider getting just one (58mm) and a 52-58mm step-up ring (might be a problem with the hood(s) though?)
11-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by kbrede Quote
I recently purchased the K-X 18-55mm, 55-300mm kit. I'd like to get some polarising filters and graduated ND filters. Also, I've seen mention in a recent thread that purchasing a hood is a good idea.

So if you use a hood, can you also use filters at the same time? Is it recommended to use them together? I'm ignorant as to how these might work together.

Anyone have recommendations as to decent brands of filters?

Any other words of wisdom regarding this topic is welcome, before I start purchasing.
Thanks,
Kent

I had a hunt around in the Adorama Learning Center for you, and came up with a few easy-to-read guides.

I hope they are useful!

Product Spotlight: Lens Hoods from Adorama Learning Center

BUYING GUIDE: Filter FAQ from Adorama Learning Center

BUYING GUIDE: Optical Filters from Adorama Learning Center

Do you still need a polarizing filter? Yes! from Adorama Learning Center