Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 04:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Multiple light sources thus multiple temps thus a WB problem?

08-25-2011, 02:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
When shooting in these conditions I would strongly suggest using a UV filter on your lens, and look for one which is particularly harsh with cutting out as close to blue as possible. Maybe that will help...
Have you done any side by side testing with a filter and without? Did a UV filter prevent the issue?

It looks extreme in your pics, enough to make me think that either your WB settings are way off, or your camera is in some way defective.
08-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I don't believe this has anything to do with WB. Those wedding photos were taken from RAW and changing WB doesn't help the problem. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with a UV filter yet - I don't even know if there is a filter that cuts out enough of the low end UV to make a difference. I could try though.
08-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I can't help but think that if this were a widespread problem, affecting all K-x copies, that the forum here would have been inundated with these topics long ago. It really looks like either you have something set strangely, or your particular camera is the problem. As I said before, these distortions in your posted pics are extreme.

Another couple questions: how did the pics look on the camera, was the problem apparent then? And, which application are you using to develop your raws?

If you could post one of these images with the EXIF intact, it would be more informative. Imgur really butchers anything better than rage comics, it re-compresses at a 6 for quality, strips colour profiles, strips EXIF, and reduces print dpi from whatever it was originally to 72.

Edit: I have a couple halogens around, fairly intense ones, if I get time later today I'll see if I can cause problems with them for my K-r. Curious now.

08-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I can't help but think that if this were a widespread problem, affecting all K-x copies, that the forum here would have been inundated with these topics long ago. It really looks like either you have something set strangely, or your particular camera is the problem. As I said before, these distortions in your posted pics are extreme.
I've had it happen on mine too - I don't have any pics to show at the moment (the ones I have online I touched up massively to reduce the odd fluorescent glows). I know that mine came from some really bright, sort of neon, lights in the restaurant (they had a band), and it rendered half my pictures unusable because it would reflect off people's face and you'd see half their face normally dark, and the other half like they got sprayed with glow-in-the-dark paint and black light (that's the best way I can describe it).

I'll try to upload some pictures of the effects and of the offending lights when I can.

Also - it has never happened before in any other lighting condition to me. And it hasn't happened again, so it must be those particular types of light.
08-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
it's halogen lighting
Think that says all Pies. Wall scounce's sure look small enough in size for some of the
newer stuff on market.Other shots in series suggest halogen down lighting.
Ever try manual white balance approach in those types of enviroments?

Halogen does one thing very well,whole lotta output,for just a little input.
Very easy,and electrically efficent to control, in terms of luminous output.
Great for designers,folks paying power bills,not so much for photogs.
With that thought in mind, that manual white balance setting be used to negate.

Here's question of manual white balance approach...White?/Grey? card.
Just thinkin' aloud,white would seem best for color rendition.Grey(18%) would
really nail middlin' tones and help with exposure setting a bit more than white.
08-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If UV filter doesn't do the trick, warm or even orange filters could be more UV suppressive.

But, it may not be the UV, but simply very intense blue. So intense it saturates blue pixel to the point where charge starts to overcome protection and leak in nearby pixels (other colors). Here only a warming filter might help, but this would mess up the WB horribly.

08-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
If UV filter doesn't do the trick, warm or even orange filters could be more UV suppressive.

But, it may not be the UV, but simply very intense blue. So intense it saturates blue pixel to the point where charge starts to overcome protection and leak in nearby pixels (other colors). Here only a warming filter might help, but this would mess up the WB horribly.
Yeah I agree, it looks like a warm filter could be the only way to get rid of this entirely.

I've fiddled with lightroom and the effect can be reduced in three ways that I've found; warm the image (fairly successful - but image is very warm!!), cool the image and then reduce the blue channel considerably (pretty good), or black and white the image (best if you don't mind b&w).

original (auto WB in lightroom);
Name:  IMGP3101.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  374.4 KB

warmified (~10,000k)
Name:  IMGP2699-warm.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  388.3 KB

cool, then blue channel reduced.
Name:  IMGP2699-cool-bluedown.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  359.5 KB