Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Difference in LCD displays on dSLRs

I am a K-x owner (which is my first dSLR) and I had a question with regards to LCD displays. I have noticed its rather hard to determine how my photo looks via the K-x LCD screen and was curious if there is a huge difference with some of the higher end cameras/ or other makes with respect to this problem?

This is one of my only gripes about the K-x since its rather hard to make adjustments to the inputs of the camera if your getting a unreliable display of what you just took.

I am noticing this to be especially true in low light conditions and I have tried to adjust my LCD screen with no resolution to the problem.

Is this just where we are at with technology? or is there a huge difference with different models of cameras?

12-02-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firstly I would suggest using the histogram as a guide to the results you're getting. Secondly, utilise all the tools available to review your results to satisfaction, such as the image zoom function - going to 8-11x you'll see enough detail to judge whether your shots are sharp enough. Lastly, LCD resolution matters. That's why the K-7, K-5 and K-r screens are a notch better and easier to review results - the extra screen resolution makes this happen.
12-02-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Firstly I would suggest using the histogram as a guide to the results you're getting. Secondly, utilise all the tools available to review your results to satisfaction, such as the image zoom function - going to 8-11x you'll see enough detail to judge whether your shots are sharp enough. Lastly, LCD resolution matters. That's why the K-7, K-5 and K-r screens are a notch better and easier to review results - the extra screen resolution makes this happen.
I use the zoom function, have turned my LCD to its brightest display and the histogram wont suit you in every situation. I am in my 3rd university course focusing on lighting (B & W work) and its rather tough to see what I have. Many of the shots are either really dark or really light (purposely) so the histogram is of little use in these situations.

My question was more of a general one in comparing different models LCD screens and if the difference is significant, or if there is still a decent amount of trouble on the higher end cameras?
12-02-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure to be honest. The only times I've had some trouble seeing what's on the screen is in very bright conditions. Dark places should make seeing the screen a lot easier, so I'm of no help to you. Does the screen appear adequately bright under any conditions at all or is it a global (most likely camera) problem?

12-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

You can connect your K-x to an external display/video monitor (Manual p. 221). This may solve your problem.

A few Pentaxians mentioned using a 7" screen, for example, connected to their Pentax dSLR. It may solve your problem.

I recommend to read the thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/108549-possible-hook-u...nitor-k-x.html

Personnally I do not use much the LCD display and I prefer by far to review the photos afterwards on the computer prior tp PP.

Hope that the comment wil help.
12-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by treue_photo Quote
I use the zoom function, have turned my LCD to its brightest display and the histogram wont suit you in every situation. I am in my 3rd university course focusing on lighting (B & W work) and its rather tough to see what I have. Many of the shots are either really dark or really light (purposely) so the histogram is of little use in these situations.

My question was more of a general one in comparing different models LCD screens and if the difference is significant, or if there is still a decent amount of trouble on the higher end cameras?
I think the best overall I have seen to date is the K7 screen, (I have *istD, K10D and K7D) but I am not sure with your shots high key and low key, you will really get what you want out of any of the built in displays.
12-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wanted to say thanks for all the replies!!