Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

It makes me wonder if it'd be practical to go in on a traveling monitor calibrator among some of the folks here, or if they're software-limited to just one or two machines.
I found this one (thoughts anyone?) on newegg.com for $80 and it doesn't seem to suggest you can't use it on multiple monitors. I think having a traveling calibrator could be fun!

12-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hambino Quote
I found this one (thoughts anyone?) on newegg.com for $80 and it doesn't seem to suggest you can't use it on multiple monitors. I think having a traveling calibrator could be fun!
Could be useful. I'm a little ignorant about these things, but I don't know how often a monitor would need to be calibrated once you have your correct settings. Just write em on the back and there they are. There could be more to it than that, though.

If the software will install as many times as needed, it seems like a device that could be shared around pretty productively. A few of us could go in on it and it could go around calibrating the community. I suppose there's a decent possibility the makers of these things might want to confound any such attempts at efficiency, though.

I do think I've seen that model before, or one that looks like it, but I can't remember if that was because someone recommended it or not. It was a while ago, before stuff acquisition got put on hold.
12-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I made a different thread but it got lost when the db crashed. Anywho, I need a monitor for post processing (I only have PCs hooked up to TVs right now, no monitors ). What specs should I be looking at here?? What are y'all using?
I use an Eizo Flexscan. It covers most of the Adobe RGB colourspace, and I've calibrated it - I got a Spyder for that. It's got an IPS panel, or a varient. Some of the cheaper Eizo monitors have TN panels.

How good a monitor you need depends rather on what you are hoping to do with your images. I want to be able to produce A3 prints for camera club competitions and get more or less what I am seeing on the screen at the first attempt. If you are processing for web images (where most people are using uncalibrated monitors and browsers which are not colouraware) then a TN screen will be fine. Ditto if you are wanting small (6" x 4" or A6) prints.

But do take RAW images, and do save the RAWs. If your aspirations go up then having them lets you start over with post-processing your images.
12-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #19

Dell U23 has a 23" IPS panel with rotation capability and cheaper according to adviced ones.
Thinkable

12-06-2010, 04:12 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
How good a monitor you need depends rather on what you are hoping to do with your images...If you are processing for web images (where most people are using uncalibrated monitors and browsers which are not colouraware) then a TN screen will be fine. Ditto if you are wanting small (6" x 4" or A6) prints.
For now its not even really for anything to share on the web lol Eventually, I would like to be able to print out my photos, just for me, to hang on the wall (not sure what size exactly but I'll just call it "bigger than an 8x10" for now ). I'd like to start editing my photos with a decent monitor so I can get used to what looks "off" to me and what is closer to "normal". Hope that makes sense
12-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Mac 27 tuuman LED Cinema Display -näyttö. Parasta mitä rahalla saa.
12-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

For now its not even really for anything to share on the web lol Eventually, I would like to be able to print out my photos, just for me, to hang on the wall (not sure what size exactly but I'll just call it "bigger than an 8x10" for now ). I'd like to start editing my photos with a decent monitor so I can get used to what looks "off" to me and what is closer to "normal". Hope that makes sense
Well, I sure think it does, for whatever purpose, but particularly for printing, and, likely learning. (I've forgotten if you're used to working in film or if the photo thing is all new to you. But, half of my high school memories smell like Dektol, and I'm *still* confounded by the variations in monitors as I try to get all computerey. )

I think what I really need is either an AI or a virtual reality darkroom with like a virtual Omega 4x5 in it.

Hey, it's *my* virtual reality, I can stick a color head on there. Well, if I can reach that high.
12-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes perfect sense to me. I'm a firm believer in getting the best I can afford (within reason of course) I have an old laptop that I tried editing on and not only was it massively slow, but the colors were disconcertingly off. Photos didn't look the same as on my desktop. A good monitor is almost as important as the camera and lens. It is the main piece of equipment between me and my camera.

NaCl(the difference between a good monitor and an OK monitor is enormous)H2O

12-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I sure think it does, for whatever purpose, but particularly for printing, and, likely learning. (I've forgotten if you're used to working in film or if the photo thing is all new to you. But, half of my high school memories smell like Dektol, and I'm *still* confounded by the variations in monitors as I try to get all computerey. )

*snip*

Hey, it's *my* virtual reality, I can stick a color head on there. Well, if I can reach that high.
Of course you can reach that high! Just grab a pair of virtual stilts!

NaCl(the nice thing about virtual reality is that it is rather...er...malleable )H2O
12-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Hambino, that one would be fine as would this one both datacolor (spyder) and huey make good products. If you have multiple displays, you also have to have a dedicated graphics card per monitor. Each monitor is different so they all have to be calibrated separately. It's not the calibration package it the stuff inside the computer.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
12-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
(I've forgotten if you're used to working in film or if the photo thing is all new to you. )
The photo thing is VERY new to me! I mean, I WAS in high school at one point so I took lots of photos with disposable cameras to capture all those important moments such as decorating the football players' homes with toilet paper and the cheerleader water balloon fights

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hambino, that one would be fine as would this one both datacolor (spyder) and huey make good products.NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
Thanks much! I think I might just pick it up
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hambino, that one would be fine as would this one both datacolor (spyder) and huey make good products. If you have multiple displays, you also have to have a dedicated graphics card per monitor. Each monitor is different so they all have to be calibrated separately. It's not the calibration package it the stuff inside the computer.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O

Well, maybe I could use a little clarification: you're basically saying a computer will hold the calibration data for each monitor (or all monitors?) somewhere associated with each memory card?

And that each card will need to be matched to each monitor rather than any given monitor just having settings that are 'right' for it inherently? (I gather that monitors do age over time, and change that way, of course. )

My general plan is that once I get hold of said monitor, I'll start by using that monitor with our newer laptop, which isn't a great graphics machine but has enough power. I'd prefer to have the built-in monitor be as close to correct as possible, (was kind of hoping to calibrate that as well: it's just one per graphics card, I take it, though?) ....the built-in's really no great shakes to begin with, anyway. Maybe I'd try splitting things off so the photo program goes in the external monitor and use the built-in for the rest, but that doesn't much matter there.

Eventually I'll see what I can do about building a desktop around that monitor, which probably shouldn't be too hard, then I can probably stuff about as many cards in there as necessary.

The plan
12-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
$200 off + 20% Coupon Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-in 2560 x 1440 (WQHD) LCD Monitor - LogicBUY

27" 2,560 x 1,400 Dell is on sale today for $719.20 plus FREE shipping.
12-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have not read every reply on this thread, so please forgive if this is redundant...

One of the things I look for in monitors, a Matte screen v glossy. Glossy tends to, IMHO, add contrast. You will need some kind of software (and almost all decent Photo editing software) to be able to calibrate the screen... but here's the fun part is getting what you see printed, that is actually the hardest part.

Almost any decent monitor will do, but will need to be calibrated and then have the correct "printer profiles for a specific paper etc etc etc".... it's just one big learning experience but fun!!!

My advice would be to find a monitor that your comfortable with, find a good printer and use that printer's paper. In other words, canon printer use canon paper or epson printer use epson paper. The printer will already have the correct profiles for the paper.

If you're planning to use a printing service, some of them will have printer profiles to match against your monitor image, and in theory, what you see is what you will get... in theory

It's lot's of fun, have a good time!!!

BTW - I think LED monitors are a touch better

Last edited by theunartist; 12-09-2010 at 05:59 PM.
12-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for all of the info! Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I'll actually pull the trigger and get the dang thing!