Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought I'd append onto this a general question: I'm doing some of my monitor-shopping-around today and saw a bit of mention about connectors and ports. Apparently DVI is currently ideal, and barring that, adapting DVI to an HDMI port?

The computer I'm looking to hook up to has both the HDMI and a conventional-looking old style monitor plug. (Wouldn't know a DVI port to look at one, but I'm pretty sure that's all. Would an adapter be the ticket? And what does this really affect? ) Thanks.

I'm also curious about the lifespan/abuseability of these things, just cause for budget's sake and general eco-reasons I'm open to used ones.

Also, is there much of a difference between what's sold as a 22 inch and a 23 inch? I'm wondering what that does for formats or any concerns like that. Thanks.

01-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd get a ready-made HDMI-DVI cable with the right connectors at both ends (the adapters are simply rearranging the relevant pins which can be done with a cable as well). Unlike analog display cables El-Cheapos will probably work the same (El-Cheapest might not be a good idea though :-). As long as a display is backlit with LEDs it should be very durable (reasonably modern ones should be?).
01-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I'd get a ready-made HDMI-DVI cable with the right connectors at both ends (the adapters are simply rearranging the relevant pins which can be done with a cable as well). Unlike analog display cables El-Cheapos will probably work the same (El-Cheapest might not be a good idea though :-). As long as a display is backlit with LEDs it should be very durable (reasonably modern ones should be?).
Cool. At least some of these are CFL backlit, apparently.

Sounds like the DVI port is the best way to go, then, regardless of what's on the computer end? (How big a difference, anyway, between each and the standard type?) I'm thinking eventually I'll be building or adapting a desktop to the purpose, then I may or may not pick what kind of card goes in there. Presently I'm sharing a laptop with sweetie for the photo processing, but once there's a monitor, there'll be reason to start seeing what I can do, there.
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

As long as you don't get a display with a VGA (analog) port only you should be fine. DVI and HDMI use the same digital signaling and so should be interchangeable as display interfaces. HDMI adds audio and encryption but those should not be relevant for a computer display (unless you insist watching blu-ray movies on it).

01-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DVI has variations within the standard All About DVI.

I run 4 desktops through a KVM switch to two LCD monitors. The KVM switch has two DVI-I dual-link connections per PC. I couldn't find a reasonably priced, silent video card (I'm not a gamer) with two dual-link DVI outputs, so I had to settle for cards with one DVI and one HDMI output, with HDMI to DVI cables to make the conversion.

The main difference between HDMI and DVI from my point of view is that DVI has locking screws and HDMI doesn't. I was concerned that the HDMI connections might become unplugged. I've been running this setup for about a year now and unplugging hasn't been a problem.

I haven't got around to calibrating my monitors yet. My 'good' one is a Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA (eIPS) and it seems to be very good out of the box. The reviews were quite good Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA Reviews . My budget monitor is a ViewSonic. I can tell the difference between it and the Dell, but it's not huge. Looks like I may have to get another video card per box if I'm going to go the calibration route.

Richard.
01-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I recently got HP ZR22w with S-IPS panel. My impressions: very accurate colors not significantly improved with Huey Pro (so I left it as is), great non-glaring whites (easy on the eyes), great viewing angle, very solid construction (metal base), 4xUSB hub (not 5 as specs say), great price (just over $300). On the downside: like most S-IPS panels there is some backlight bleeding so blacks are not absolutely black. However, this is noticeable only on fully black background and nothing else on the screen, while when viewing regular photos it goes completely unnoticed. *)

Links:
HP ZR22w 21.5-inch S-IPS LCD Monitor overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
HP ZR22w and ZR24w with IPS coming - FlatpanelsHD

Verdict: for just over $300 it's a great purchase.
(There is also a larger but pricier 24" version ZR24w.)

*) Edit: this way way better compared to an average laptop or TN panel, just not ideal like with $1000 panels. So expect great improvement compared to laptop or cheap TN panels. Just saying not as good as on some $1000 LCDs I have seen, but hey, it's a $300 monitor.

Last edited by Ivan Glisin; 01-04-2011 at 04:48 AM.
01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Thanks, you guys. I seem to recognize at least a couple of those model numbers from my own shopping just this week: I kind of went till I became dazed by such numbers. It'd seem I have what are more-or-less some equally-valid choices, which'll help me a lot.

(And all nice and plain-rectangular, too: this should make the steam/dieselpunk conversion I've wanted to do for so long a lot easier. )

For now, really, the monitor just needs to connect to this new laptop we have: it's good to have an eye on more-situated setups, though. Once the monitor's there it'll surely make a lot of sense to build a desktop, even if it's only about halfway between current and this old laptop I'm on, now. (When that time comes I'll be asking about componentry, I think. My presumption is I may start with whatever the students at the university/wherever are upgrading from at the time, probably a gamer's machine or whatever I can stuff a bunch of cards and drives and stuff in. )
01-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
S-IPS panels
That's the clue to it being a good photo editing monitor. The cheaper panels are TN and they simply don't have the same colour gamut or accuracy. It's a bit of a mystery really - a lot of people here are spending $$$ on cameras, $$$$ on lenses (even if it's $ at a time) but spend $ on their monitor, and some seem equally reluctant to spend $ on a nice big HDD or some extra RAM for the PC.

01-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
The cheaper panels are TN and they simply don't have the same colour gamut or accuracy.
Plus, often 6 bits per channel resulting in some really bad posterization. Sales guy did not understand why I was interested to get an "expensive" S-IPS monitor, while there are $150 or so 22" 16:9 monitors. So we tested HP ZR22w and some el cheapo TN monitor side by side and he was stunned: sunset photograph with nice gradients in the sky on HP, and very bad and obvious posterized arcs on a TN monitor. No contest.

a lot of people here are spending $$$ on cameras, $$$$ on lenses (even if it's $ at a time) but spend $ on their monitor
Yeah. And one more reason to get a good monitor: viewing web galleries with great and superbly processed photographs.
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #40
Pentaxian

That's the clue to it being a good photo editing monitor. The cheaper panels are TN and they simply don't have the same colour gamut or accuracy. It's a bit of a mystery really - a lot of people here are spending $$$ on cameras, $$$$ on lenses (even if it's $ at a time) but spend $ on their monitor, and some seem equally reluctant to spend $ on a nice big HDD or some extra RAM for the PC.
Well, we're definitely past the TN panels thing on this thread: to be fair, it seems the IPS has only recently come down in price, so people could be faced with spending quite a bit without it actually being a very nice monitor. Me, well, I didn't have need for fancy computer things till I scraped together some digital shooting gear, anyway, so monitor's just the next in line. If it hadn't been for the budget suddenly getting real tight last summer, I'd have been looking as soon as we got a newer machine in the house. But it's just as well, in a way, inasmuch as I can get IPSes rather than spend similar money on something far less suitable. (Of course, you can't replace the time I could have been working more on the post-processing skills: that's been pretty frustrating on the business-laptop monitors. (Stuff's looking pretty cool on the TV, though. )
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Hey, everybody, I thought I'd mention there seems to be a bit of a price war on Amazon with those NEC IPS panels, ...I just snagged one this morning..

Amazon.com: NEC EA231WMi-BK 23-Inch MultiSync Widescreen LCD Monitor: Computer & Accessories

(Update: Price war prices didn't last long, it looks like. Checked back in today and they were back up to the usual. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-01-2011 at 07:20 PM.
02-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, everybody, I thought I'd mention there seems to be a bit of a price war on Amazon with those NEC IPS panels, ...I just snagged one this morning..

Amazon.com: NEC EA231WMi-BK 23-Inch MultiSync Widescreen LCD Monitor: Computer & Accessories

(Update: Price war prices didn't last long, it looks like. Checked back in today and they were back up to the usual. )
great deal i think
02-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Epic sale.
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Epic sale.
Hee, however brief, apparently. They're back up to what I expected to be paying, actually, (Great is da Skor: cost me near a hundred less than that, and at one point, someone could have saved even twenty bucks more than I did. Lucky timing on my part. Makes up for the frustration of budgeting delays. ) The price-availability of these and similar models has been fluctuating down from about 300 to maybe about 260, counting shipping or free shipping since I've been watching.

Still looking like a real good deal at the near-three-hundred price. Would you believe mine arrived this morning? Turns out the seller or their warehouse is like a couple towns over: I'd been figuring on a week's wait or so, never mind overnight. So, baddabing.

As a result, this arrived well ahead of the HDMI adapter I'd ordered, so I'm running off the old-fashioned 'monitor plug' for the time being. (Said adapter does appear to be the way to go if you don't have a DVI plug on your machine. It appears that the USB option would work best if you wanted to plug a camera or something in directly, though I haven't tried that.)

Even as such, this is leaps-and-bounds more consistent than anything else I've been trying to work with: the viewing angle is indeed ridiculous: things still look like photographs even at really oblique angles, and even without calibration I feel like I can actually meaningfully-edit photos. I wouldn't be crying about what I got if I *had* paid the going rate, so, this looks like a pretty happy purchase.

Let's see, other initial impressions... Build quality's nice, and the stand's a good deal better than I necessarily-expected. Plenty of weight in the base, and no creaky-plasticness about moving it. The size seems quite sufficient for most purposes, especially given you can turn it, ...what else have I found out... Seems the eco-mode toggles very conveniently (That ought to come in very handy later, when I build my desktop, and the monitor will likely be being used for other-than-photo purposes some of the time as well. )

Understanding, of course, that I haven't seen any of the other budget IPS models to compare to, btw. This is my first contact with the breed, right now. At least that I know.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased. This would seem to be very functional. I presume that some of the bigger-bucks units will be more impressive in various ways, but this will do what I need, and that's my guiding star with stuff like this.

(Oops, just as I post this, I looked again, and there they go, ...down to 265, shipped... Must be some kind of maybe-automated computer scheme behind all this. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-02-2011 at 11:24 AM.