Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Do They Still Make Camera Cases to Hang on Your Neck?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I thought it would be handy to have a case for the camera when you're just taking it out by itself, and no othe lenses, etc. I have a k-x and was thinking of a case for the 18-55 zoom lens that came with it. Thanks.

12-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
like the old neveready cases, i was thinking the same thing the other day
12-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Zing Designs

OP/TECH USA Soft Pouch Digital D-Series

came up on an earlier thread, neither look like the old ones. personally i think they would be a little awkward, i use the bottom part of the one for my rangefinders, and when they are stored i put the top on back on, but none of my rangefinders have lugs for a strap

One laternative that is compact but would give quick acess would be something like the lowpro top load zoom bag
they are pretty inexpensive and if i remember correctly can even be used with a belt loop rather than the strap
I'd rather have my camera at the ready when all is said and done
12-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I found one on ebay, but it's imitation leather and I don't know how good it looks. I don't know why Pentax wouldn't make a nice one with the logo boldly plastered on it.

USA NEW Nikon D3000 Pentax KX DSLR Camera Case - BLACK - eBay (item 120653107674 end time Dec-27-10 17:09:22 PST)

12-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

pretty much a poor Never Ready knock off from the looks of it, There is a guy making really nice leather ones for leicas but there damn pricey
12-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I take my K-7 with one lens nearly all time. I have a LowePro Top loader bag. Mine is the TLZ1 that can fit the K-7 with any of my lenses. In the small outside pocket, I can fit the battery charger and USB cable. In the last 8 years, i used 3 different LowePro bag with varius camera and I can recommend these highly. Very sturdy.

The K-x is smaller than the K-7 and, with a pancake lens, you could consider a neoprene case.

Hope that the comment is helpful.

Last edited by hcc; 12-03-2010 at 02:38 PM.
12-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could always go with a retro case too. The ones for the Spotmatics and similar earlier cameras would probably be too small but the later cameras came with leather and faux leather cases that just might fit a DSLR and kit lens. I may be wrong but looking at the one that came with the P3 I got with my Goodwill lenses I do think it will be big enough for my *ist with a kit lens or maybe even a short zoom. Probably wouldn't fit a larger zoom though. They come with the 80's and 90's cameras quite a bit from what I've seen and if you're looking for something interesting that looks like authentic Pentax that might be the smart way to go. Those cameras usualy sell for less than a new case would likely cost you and you'd have the camera as a bonus.

12-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Besides being out of fashion, there is the problem that modern dslrs have about eight times as many control knobs, dials, switches and buttons as our old film slrs.

Look at the back of your dslr. Now compare it to the back of a film slr. The film slr has nothing, except maybe a slot to put the film box end to remind you what type of film is in it. The dslr has a huge LCD, a couple of switches and a half dozen buttons. If you cut holes in the leather for all that, there isn't going to be much leather left.

Personally, I never liked the never ready cases. Even on a film slr, they earned that nickname.

You can buy heavy plastic body armor for at least some dslrs, IMHO, it makes your dslr look like something out of "Transformers".
12-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I agree that it might not be practical due to the need to access such a high percentage of the body real estate. My last never-ready case was for my spotmatic, but it fell into disuse once I bought a second lens. I can't really imagine wanting to take the camera out without at least 3 lenses. Today you'd probably be better off taking a small p&s vs. a dslr with a lens that would fit into a traditional never-ready case.

Paul
12-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I found an original equipment Pentax case, O-CC84, shipped from Japan, on Ebay. Not sure it's worth 64 bucks though. PENTAX Soft Camera Case soft case O-CC84 for K-m - eBay (item 360240374432 end time Dec-28-10 09:47:20 PST)

I'm leaning towards a Zing now. The mfr suggests, the Zing SLR Standard, #501-101 (for Black), for the small zoom. While neoprene, and not rigid, I like the possiblity of folding it up and putting it in your pocket, as was noted on the forums.

Edit: I ordered the Zing. I'll write my impressions.

Last edited by VelvetFoot; 12-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm leaning towards the zing also. My friend has one very nice plus won't scratch lcd.