Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I did what others have suggested. Started out shooting Jpegs for about a month or two then moved exclusively to RAW. The move was mainly due to the PP abilities and me learning how to use my Photoshop CS5. If you do not have any software then definitely shoot jpeg. I would highly suggest getting some kind of PP software. I hear GIMP is pretty good and it's also free. In my opinion PP is a big part of photography just like the dark room. I try to take the best picture I can when I am out and about so that I do not solely depend on software to make my photos better but I do not hesitate to use Photoshop (especially since it cost me an arm and a leg) and in some cases will take a photo knowing I am going to PP it.

The Gimp is very good, and, as KBLAZE points out it is free. However, it is somewhat difficult to install and has a long learning curve. You must download DCRAW seperately, to have RAW conversion. If you're interested in the Gimp (The Gnu Image Manipulation Program), there is a very active Yahoo group mailing list devoted to it.