Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Filters

Hi, Picked up filter kit (Sunpak) at Walmart to protect the lens on my K10D. There are two filters, do I use the UV filter or both. Other being a Circular Polarizer. Thank You for your help. Ken J.

12-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lodgeporter10 Quote
Hi, Picked up filter kit (Sunpak) at Walmart to protect the lens on my K10D. There are two filters, do I use the UV filter or both. Other being a Circular Polarizer. Thank You for your help. Ken J.
No need to ever use them both: it's quite preferable not to, for IQ reasons. (UV's can be left on to protect your lens, but that's pretty optional: I rarely do, myself, unless conditions are very lousy or the lens can't take a deep enough hood/is particularly vulnerable, or sometimes if I intend to trade up said lens in a hurry. But, then again, I'm very used to handling cameras and am not so prone to mishap. Most beginners do fine to just leave a UV on there and forget it.

Anyway, the only real problem with stacking filters is that it increases the possibility of losing image quality, creating internal reflections, etc. So one at a time will be optimal for you. If you want to use the polarizer, just swap em.
12-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank You

Great help. Thank You, Ken J.
12-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, but those filters are crappy stuff, and will degrade your image quality. That's all you can expect from Wal-Mart.

Also, for DLRs, you would never need a UV or Skylight filter (which ONLY degrades quality and adds nothing). Only a polarizer to start with, and knowing Wal-Mart (my wife is a manager there), I would never use any of their filters.

Wal-Mart strives to offer the lowest prices, and with certain items, it sure shows in the quality.

Total drek.

12-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are careful with your gear then there is no need for a UV filter. I use to use them but stopped a while back and have never hit the front lens element or done anything to scratch the it on any of my lenses. I would suggest trying the polarizer when shooting outside with the sun out. You can stop the light reflecting off of surfaces and even create different contrasts. Also if you stack filters you also run the risk of vignetting.
12-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't think Sunpak is a WalMart brand, but Ira's sentiments are valid, regardless.

Unless you are shooting a tractor pull, drag race from the tree, or a gravel-throwing contest, I can think of no reason for a "protection" filter. A lens hood and lens cap will work wonders.

I would wear football helmet when playing football, but not when walking around in routine life.

I got a cheap Hoya polarizer that turned the sky lavender.
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I don't think Sunpak is a WalMart brand, but Ira's sentiments are valid, regardless.

Unless you are shooting a tractor pull, drag race from the tree, or a gravel-throwing contest, I can think of no reason for a "protection" filter. A lens hood and lens cap will work wonders.

I would wear football helmet when playing football, but not when walking around in routine life.

I got a cheap Hoya polarizer that turned the sky lavender.

sorry for jumping in,
but that hoya polarizer sounds very interesting,
would you mind telling me the model no./name of that?
thank you very much.

12-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by antzutd Quote
sorry for jumping in,
but that hoya polarizer sounds very interesting,
would you mind telling me the model no./name of that?
thank you very much.
G67CRPLGB Hoya 67mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter - G Series -
I shot on AWB. A preset WB may have been better, but as I shoot RAW it does not matter. What you see is what I got, regardless.

With

Without
12-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
G67CRPLGB Hoya 67mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter - G Series -
I shot on AWB. A preset WB may have been better, but as I shoot RAW it does not matter. What you see is what I got, regardless.

With

Without

thank you,
they are very nice,
i like the colour of a slightly purple-ish sky!
will definitely, go and get one of those!
12-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Regarding quality, I would suggest you simply take a few test pictures with your filters. If you can see a difference in image quality, at 100%, with vs. without the filter, that's something to consider. But I think it's premature to be concerned until you do that.

It's kind of odd but on this forum you'll frequently find disdain for anything but the best filters with the latest multicoating, but considerable admiration for lenses that were considered substandard when they were made decades ago. But the great thing about digital is that you can test for yourself and draw your own conclusions, basically for free.

Paul
12-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I have a cheap skylight filter that I always use because I like the internal reflections it produces. Try using the filters and see if they give you any interesting results.
12-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I use a £4 (off ebay) peachtree UV filter on my kit lens mainly as the cap often falls off in my bag... As yet... Not discovered any image-quallity losses...

Never heard of peachtree and can't find any other products made by them over here in Blighty... Any clue across the pond?
12-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The biggest problem that I see with filters is that they really tend to increase flare and decrease contrast in situations where you have a strong light source. I have found as well that they can slow autofocus in dark situations.

Polarizing filters are useful in a couple of situations: they can reduce reflections on water (or on glasses), they can make your colors more vibrant (specifically sky bluer). Depending on what you shoot, you might look into ND filters, as they can help with landscapes (particularly graduated ND filters).
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I guess it's time for my usual filter rant again

Some filters are useful or entertaining on dSLRs; most aren't. Some are still needed; most aren't. Here's an overview:

* UV and Skylight filters mostly protect the finances their sellers. A clear glass filter is helpful if you are shooting in a mucky filthy environment. Otherwise, echhh.
* PL (polarizing) and CPL (circular PL) filters help reduce glare and reflections, and darken bright skies. Two CPLs, or a PL + CPL, function as a variable ND filter.
* ND (neutral density) filters are used to cut down light for long exposures.
* Split ND filters are half-dark, half-not. They are useful to shoot dark landscapes under bright skies, etc. As with straight ND's, they come in various densities.
* A +dioptre close-up lens screws onto a camera lens and greatly reduces focal distance. This is the cheap way to shoot close-ups, but with some quality loss.
* A split-dioptre lens is half-magnifying, half-not. Used carefully, it can apparently extend the depth-of-field of a camera lens, by keeping both near and far sharp.

Those are what I consider 'utility' filter-oids. Here are the spectrum-slicing filters, changing how your camera receives light:

* IR-pass (infrared) filters block visible light and allow only IR to reach the camera sensor. These work best on a modified camera. Don't worry about IR for now.
* Blue or blue-violet CC (color correction) filters pass 'actinic' (UV-violet-blue) light, which is what early film emulsions saw. Useful for antique-style photography.
* A red filter, with your camera set for B&W, boosts resolution slightly, or so I'm told.
* A yellow filter on a lens at night shooting garish neon lights does odd things to colors.
* Blue, violet, red, yellow, and CC filters are cheap. Good IR filters usually aren't.

All those items do things that can't be done easily (or at all!) in post-processing (PP). Then there's the stuff you just don't need unless you're an antique optics perv: most CC filters; starlight, fog/mist, soft-focus filters; prism and multi-image lenses; shape masks (hearts, crosses, stars, etc). These can mostly be recycled as Xmas tree ornaments, or used for skeet shooting or pistol practice. Fire!
12-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I made some recient tests with an inexpensive UV filters https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/124056-impact-...uv-filter.html a few weeks back.

Filters I think are one thing where you get what you pay for.