Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
newbie with istD and 35mm lens looking for help

Camera is Pentax istD. I have four lenses from a Pentax K1000 camera that I have had for years. I do not mind the manual focus lenses but I can not seem to get a picture that in good focus.

I have used the istD feature that tells you when you are in focus but my pictures are still not focused. Lighting does not appear to be an issue.

Questions
1. Does the aperture setting affect focus?
2. The lenses that I have are old and probably cheap, can having the lens cleaned by professionals make night and day difference?

I think the settings in the camera are good but I am a newbie working on my own

thanks for any input

12-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aperture affects depth of field. The larger the aperture number, the larger the depth of field, but the less light is passed through your lens.

Essentially it's optimal to stay in the F5.6 to F8 range for most lenses.

Cleaning usually doesn't do much, as dust and minor things can't really be seen. However, cleaning the front element with lens tissue is recommended.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You may wish to check the eye peice diopter for optimum setting. This will help focus. Also why not post a sample pix
12-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by double d Quote
Camera is Pentax istD. I have four lenses from a Pentax K1000 camera that I have had for years. I do not mind the manual focus lenses but I can not seem to get a picture that in good focus.

I have used the istD feature that tells you when you are in focus but my pictures are still not focused. Lighting does not appear to be an issue.

Questions
2. The lenses that I have are old and probably cheap, can having the lens cleaned by professionals make night and day difference?

thanks for any input
According to one of the moderators here (who I haven't seen here in awhile), fast lenses do indeed affect the ability to manual focus on our dSLRs. He claims (and is probably right) that the focus path is optimized for an f2.8 lens. So if any of your lenses are faster than that, say f1.7 or f1.4), that could be part of your problem. I would use the camera's AF indicator only as a guide of somewhere close. Make sure your viewfinder diopter is properly calibrated for your eye. Another aid would be a magnifying viewfinder. Pentax makes one called the O-ME53 and there are aftermarkets available as well. You could also look into changing the focusing screen or even calibrating the one you have. If you are only experienced with the K1000 (not the SE model), you may not know what one is but a Split prism focusing screen may aid you along the way. There are sellers offering (on ebay) screens for the $30 range and for $50 or so, the O-ME53 And a screen. The last time I bought one was from a seller named Jinfinance. Don't know if he's still there or not.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

12-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies

Here are a couple of pictures
first one is at a F stop of 11
second 1 is at F stop 3

Attached Images

12-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

What lens were these taken with?

12-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think the issue is camera shake, you trook the second at 1 second?

you need to increase the ISO to get the shutter up to at least 1/30 or better.

Did you use flash? or only natural light.

If you are using flash set the shutter to 1/150 and use the flash to take the shot.

Also, I can;t see the EXIF data, so if you can list, ISO, SHutter and aperture it would really help
12-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by double d Quote

Questions

thanks for any input
Have you controlled for possible camera/subject movement? Do the lenses focus properly on your K1000?

Paul

Last edited by tibbitts; 12-05-2010 at 06:58 PM.
12-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
ISO 200
AV 1/150 F-- 0.0EV

I did use a flash

this information from the info screen for the image on the camera
I changed the aperture ring on the lens for each picture, but this information did not change the info screen.

The lens that I shot the images with is a Seikanon 28-70mm
12-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
So I looked at the manual a bit more. The information that is displayed on the info screen for each image.

The camera does not recognize the aperture setting F--
The camera did not recognize the lens focal length

The new question comes to
Do I need different lenses or do I need to change the settings on my camera
12-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Custom setting ---> allow aperture ring (yes).

Both of those pictures were shot wide open. Further more you *must* shoot in M mode, unless your lens and an A setting on the aperture ring.
12-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Inactive Account

From what you say, unless I'm mistaken about the lens, the camera will not collect Any information from it. The lens simply isn't equipped for it. At this point, I'm back to working on your focus optical path / technique.

12-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

1) Set your focus point on Center.

2) Make sure you get your audio and visual in-focus confirmation. (Yes--even though the lens is manual, you will get the confirmation.)

3) When you first power up the camera with a fully manual lens attached, you will be asked to input the lens's focal length. This is for the shake reduction. So, with a zoom, this is tricky, and you have to choose the FL you think you're going to be shooting at. (I only use manual primes, so no issue for me.)

4) You have to wait to see the little green hand before shake reduction has locked in! If you don't see that hand and pull the trigger, your shot will be more screwed up than if you hadn't used DR in the first place!

5) And correct--the camera nor image will ever show the F stop you shot at, and you'll always get the F--. But the F-- shouldn't flash in the body. If it does, you don't have "Use Aperture Ring" selected. And remember that once you make this selection, you never have to touch it again. You can leave it at that as default, and that means if you have a modern lens with an aperture ring you can actually turn, you can work like THAT instead of using the wheel on the body. (And the F stop data WILL be seen and recorded in the image,s EXIF.)

Good luck, and take your time.

How is your focus doing with your auto lens(es)?

Last edited by Ira; 12-06-2010 at 03:38 AM.
12-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Given the Other data supplied, specifically AV mode, all the shots are wide open because the camera will not stop down the lens in AV mode. AV mode will aslo set the flash sync to maximum when a legacy lens (without focal length reporting) is used, it is only the AF lenses that will have flash sync set relitive to focal length. all MF lenses default to maximum sync.

It is also positive that use aperture ring is set because the shutter would not trip if it were not.

The flash should have frozen the image therefore it is not camera shake.

that only leaves focusing error or a really really bad lens. I can't believe any lens is as bad as what is shown here, therefore I think it is a focusing error.

Again, for manual focus lenses especially , make sure the eyepeice dipoter is set. You can do this by looking at the lines on the focusing screen and slide the adjustment either left or right until these lines are sharp.

Then when focusing turn the focusing collar slowly, and look for the focus confirmation (green hexagon) at the bottom of the viewfinder.

For flash, use manual mode. it is better for control and the camera will aslo stop down the lens in manual, in AV mode it always shoots wide open.,