Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Hi ya. Fast 50 is great, and I totally recommend one. Especially because it seems like you are into low light and night life type of stuff. To take a decent picture you really need to use an exposure of about 1/60th of a second or faster. Maybe you can get away with 1/30th of a second if you are lucky, hold very steady and the subject is not moving. Apperature is "backwards" in that the smaller it is the better. It is "inverse squared" for instance an f1.4 lens vs f3.5 lens lets in: (3.5^2)/(1.4^2) = 6.25 times as much light. In "apperature priority mode" you can set your apperature wide open to the maximum, 1.4, and then the exposure (time) will be auto calculated based on how much light there is. If you can not acheive "60" in your exposure readout, you can double your ISO from say 400 to 800, and that would double the sensitivity in your sensor and therefore twice as fast an exposure can be acheived at same level of light. But at iso 800 and up you start to see "noise" which is grainy crap that wasn't actually there in the darker parts of the image. Sometimes ok for effect.. becomes extreme at ~3200 iso. 50mm focal distance is approximately if you hold your hands out with the tips of your thumbs together (making "L's") and extend your arms all the way, this is how much you will capture in the frame. 50mm is a bit limited in small spaces because of how far "zoomed in" it is on DSLR body. If you are about 5ft or 2 meters away from someone (house, resturant, club) you will only capture their face. To take a picture of 2-3 people from waste up you have to back up about 12-15ft (4-5 meters). You may also consider the DA 35mm f2.4 because it is "wider", still pretty "fast" and a pretty decent price at ~$200.

12-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you can live with a lowly A50/1.7 that I have no interest in keeping as your "fast 50", I'll send you one for the cost of postage from Canada to you.
It isn't autofocus though.

I don't even recall if I've ever used it. I have no idea where I got it from, but I assure you it isn't hot, I am the legitimate owner.
Anyway, PM me if you want it.
*general applause.* Well-done, Wheatfield.

Suggestion, though, Marea, try to stay around F3.5 or a smaller aperture (bigger number) as much as you can at first. The short version of why is because it will help you with manual focusing, but there's your quality fast-fifty right there.
12-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*general applause.* Well-done, Wheatfield.

Suggestion, though, Marea, try to stay around F3.5 or a smaller aperture (bigger number) as much as you can at first. The short version of why is because it will help you with manual focusing, but there's your quality fast-fifty right there.
Couldn't agree more..

Re the focusing however, the lens is always wide open at f1.7 until the shutter is snapped and even at f1.7, the A50f1.7 is no slouch.

At f1.7,

http://www.rolleiman.com/Photos/50mmShootout/PentaxA50mmf17/k5js0398_mA50f17_50mmShootout.jpg

The rest (see exifs for actual aperture)

To Marea,

Manual focusing just takes some practice. Start with a close object, something with text on it (but not a newspaper) and practice with that. Make sure the viewfinder of your camera is set properly and have some fun with it. The A50 f1:1.7 is THE best bang for the buck in the A50 lineup given current prices. Especially the price you've been asked to pay.

12-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

To Marea,

Manual focusing just takes some practice. Start with a close object, something with text on it (but not a newspaper) and practice with that. Make sure the viewfinder of your camera is set properly and have some fun with it. The A50 f1:1.7 is THE best bang for the buck in the A50 lineup given current prices. Especially the price you've been asked to pay.

Thanks for that, I can't wait to start to learn more & more.

Thanks again everyone, your help is invaluable!

12-12-2010, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Yer lens is in the mail as of today. This was the first chance I've had to get near a post office since last week.
I sent it air parcel post, you should have it in a couple of weeks.

best
12-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yer lens is in the mail as of today. This was the first chance I've had to get near a post office since last week.
I sent it air parcel post, you should have it in a couple of weeks.

best
Thanks so much, Wheatfield. I'm so excited to try it out. Please let me know what I owe you.
08-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #37

Just my thoughts.

Honestly, don't go out and buy a whole bunch of stuff. You said so yourself you don't really know what you're doing, or what exactly you're going to be doing. Wait to buy more stuff until you know what you want.
Get the package with the 18-55,
an SD card (Class 6 is good, anything higher than that isn't really any faster. I have an 8 GB and definitely recommend a larger one like that.),
maybe a fast 50 (I'd wait a month or two, get used to the dslr before you spend much more money),
get recargable batteries for sure, Sanyo makes good ones. I charge mine only every month or so. Have an extra set, so you can always have extra batteries on hand.
A camera bag is very helpful for carrying around your stuff (and granola bars in case you get hungry ) The specific choice is really about what you want. An all out backpack probably isn't the way to go in the beginning.
I really don't use much else. Sometimes, I use a 50-200. If I had extra money, I'd get a macro and a wide angle. But, I always know what I want.
One other thing I'd suggest. Check the library, or amazon, or wherever for 'Photography and the Art of Seeing' by Freeman Patterson. It's a wonderful book about how to see photos in the world around you. Really a great read, for anybody, beginner or not.
08-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would guess the OP has already made his mind up long ago. You just resurrected a thead that has been inactive in 8 months.

Closed Thread