Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ordered Pentax Remote C got an E - Adorama Camera

I ordered a Pentax Remote Control C from Adorama Camera. They send me a E. I have a K20D and I don't think it's going to work. Anyone have one of these? My invoice says I ordered the C, the invoice they sent says E. They say, it's the only one they carry. I ordered it thru Amazon so I can get my money back, but I was wanting to purchase other items from them, but now I'm not so sure. I'm always worried about the bait & switch,(I know this is not the case) as I see they help support this site. Any help would be great.
I did get it to work after playing around with it for an hour. Makes me wonder if there is some problem with it working with the K20D.

Last edited by glee46; 12-06-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Got it working for now.. I think
12-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Forum Member

According to the manual you need a remote F for your K20D. I think the E is meant for Optio and similar. However, I remember reading somewhere that the E and F type are identical under the cover, but there's an extra button on the outside. Can't remember what this button is for though. I bought a remote E about a month ago and it works fine and instantly with my K20D.
12-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I ordered a Pentax Remote Control C from Adorama Camera. They send me a E. I have a K20D and I don't think it's going to work. Anyone have one of these? My invoice says I ordered the C, the invoice they sent says E. They say, it's the only one they carry. I ordered it thru Amazon so I can get my money back, but I was wanting to purchase other items from them, but now I'm not so sure. I'm always worried about the bait & switch,(I know this is not the case) as I see they help support this site. Any help would be great.
I did get it to work after playing around with it for an hour. Makes me wonder if there is some problem with it working with the K20D.
It's easy to have Amazon description issues. The photo and description are "community property" and can not easily (if at all) be changed by one seller if it is wrong. Sometimes the bar-coding is wrong, as well.

My work occasionally gets those types of orders, including 6-packs of items we sell individually.

I have a Remote F, I think, so I can't answer the question about compatibility.
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lidy Quote
According to the manual you need a remote F for your K20D. I think the E is meant for Optio and similar. However, I remember reading somewhere that the E and F type are identical under the cover, but there's an extra button on the outside. Can't remember what this button is for though. I bought a remote E about a month ago and it works fine and instantly with my K20D.
Right.

On the Remote E the smaller button is for zooming, a feature limited mainly to P&S cameras with built-in lenses and electronic zooming. This button has no effect on the K10D/K20D or compatible SLR. But the main shutter button will work same as Remote F.

12-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Right.

On the Remote E the smaller button is for zooming, a feature limited mainly to P&S cameras with built-in lenses and electronic zooming. This button has no effect on the K10D/K20D or compatible SLR. But the main shutter button will work same as Remote F.
The Control E, which I got, was in a sm box, inside a plastic bag, & a piece of tight tape wrapped around the control. The tape pushes in both buttons. I guess the tape was pushing both buttons at the same time causing it not to work.

With no instructions, & then quickly checking the pictures of what I thought I ordered, led me to think they sent the wrong one.
By the time I got off the phone with Adorama & Amazon, I was mistakenly led to believe I would have to send it back on my nickle, that there would be a restocking fee, & to call Amazon @ Jan 15 2011, which is about how long it takes to process it back to them. Then they would sent a request to my credit card to refund my money. Add another week.
So yesterday, to sum it up, I purchased something I didn't order which cost me $25.90. And in about a month & a half I would have to wait to get back a grand total of $9.15. In the end, with having to go to the nearest UPS, spending @ $17.00 and still not have a remote C.
I have to give credit to Adorama. After a few calls, their CS department was great in getting it squared away.
I hate lessons, but if anything, I guess it would be a good idea to send a email, or call before buying anything 2nd party off Amazon.
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
The Control E, which I got, was in a sm box, inside a plastic bag, & a piece of tight tape wrapped around the control. The tape pushes in both buttons. I guess the tape was pushing both buttons at the same time causing it not to work.

With no instructions, & then quickly checking the pictures of what I thought I ordered, led me to think they sent the wrong one.
By the time I got off the phone with Adorama & Amazon, I was mistakenly led to believe I would have to send it back on my nickle, that there would be a restocking fee, & to call Amazon @ Jan 15 2011, which is about how long it takes to process it back to them. Then they would sent a request to my credit card to refund my money. Add another week.
So yesterday, to sum it up, I purchased something I didn't order which cost me $25.90. And in about a month & a half I would have to wait to get back a grand total of $9.15. In the end, with having to go to the nearest UPS, spending @ $17.00 and still not have a remote C.
I have to give credit to Adorama. After a few calls, their CS department was great in getting it squared away.
I hate lessons, but if anything, I guess it would be a good idea to send a email, or call before buying anything 2nd party off Amazon.
Why not just buy directly from Adorama? Since it is they who service the order? I could understand if it were half price or if it was an Amazon In Stock Item (in which case, there is no way I would pay a restock, I would call the CC company and let them handle it for me)..

12-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Why not just buy directly from Adorama? Since it is they who service the order?
....and if you order from Adorama by clicking the link under my name or under Adam's name, it benefits PF directly!

Plus - you have me here, to assist with any Adorama after-sales support.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 12-09-2010 at 07:54 AM.
12-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I would love to buy lots of stuff from Adorama but the shipping charges they have for Canadian delivers is ridiculous.

Here's a good example: I was looking at the new flashpoint winter gloves that have the flip off finger tips for winter shooting. $19 is a great price until I got a shipping quote of almost $60. Unfortunately Adorama won't be getting any business from me this holiday season.

12-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I would love to buy lots of stuff from Adorama but the shipping charges they have for Canadian delivers is ridiculous.

Here's a good example: I was looking at the new flashpoint winter gloves that have the flip off finger tips for winter shooting. $19 is a great price until I got a shipping quote of almost $60. Unfortunately Adorama won't be getting any business from me this holiday season.

Small items like this we can send USPS. Drop me an email and I can send you a quote. You'd need to order through the Pentax Forum website then I'd send you a refund on the shipping.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 12-09-2010 at 12:04 AM.
12-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote

Hadn't considered that and didn't even notice you were up north. Good luck. For future reference, Small items like your remote however fly from here to there (USA to Canada) for about $5 in a padded envelope. The US post office will actually recommend going first class over priority for many lightweight packages unless you insist on the faster delivery (which it may or may not be).

12-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Small items like this we can send USPS. Drop me an email and I can send you a quote. You'd need to order through the website then I'd send you a refund on the shipping.
Thanks for the heads up Helen if I decide to go with them I'll let you know for sure.
12-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
4 or so reasons..

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
....and if you order from Adorama by clicking the link under my name or under Adam's name, it bnefits PF directly!

Plus - you have me here, to assist with any Adorama after-sales support.
1. I'm new to Photography & PF. (There's a wealth of info here. It takes awhile to get the feel of the site, to find my way around, and learn who sponsors & pays for the site.
2. I had the item in my shopping cart on Amazon before I joined this site.
3. Amazon watches over their customers to keep companies who want to sell there honest. (I'm not implying Adorama is at all dishonest)
4. Since all this has taken place, I can recommend Adorama to my friends. The have great CS & are fast in pulling up info on products.

Thank you Adam & Helen for the information as well.. I'm loving this site.