Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were in your shoes, I would probably end up getting the K-r kit with the 18-55 and 55-300mm lens. It was recently on Amazon for $749, which is a great deal since Amazon typically ships for free without any taxes in most states. Then, the leftover $250 that you have, I'd look for a used prime with f/2.8 or faster, maybe the FA 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7, since you expressed you wanted something capable in low-light. You can sometimes find them in the marketplace here or on ebay, although they seem to be selling higher than $250 these days. But who knows, you might luck out.

Otherwise, it would be back to the K-x with a similar combo, you would for sure be able to afford the fast prime with your $1000 budget. I know you might be reluctant after your initial experience with the K-x, but you might just want to give it a second chance. When everything's working right, the K-x is a great camera. My wife, a newbie to DSLRs, took pictures 6 through 10 on full Auto settings:

#'s 6 to 10, K-x full Auto mode, multi segment metering, and center point focusing

12-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
If I were in your shoes, I would probably end up getting the K-r kit with the 18-55 and 55-300mm lens. It was recently on Amazon for $749, which is a great deal since Amazon typically ships for free without any taxes in most states. Then, the leftover $250 that you have, I'd look for a used prime with f/2.8 or faster, maybe the FA 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7, since you expressed you wanted something capable in low-light. You can sometimes find them in the marketplace here or on ebay, although they seem to be selling higher than $250 these days. But who knows, you might luck out.

Otherwise, it would be back to the K-x with a similar combo, you would for sure be able to afford the fast prime with your $1000 budget. I know you might be reluctant after your initial experience with the K-x, but you might just want to give it a second chance. When everything's working right, the K-x is a great camera. My wife, a newbie to DSLRs, took pictures 6 through 10 on full Auto settings:

#'s 6 to 10, K-x full Auto mode, multi segment metering, and center point focusing
Lovely pictures! I ended up going with the K-r and a Tamron 17-50, but had I been unable to find the lens for such a good price, I would have bought another K-x to remain within my budget.
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vegenigma Quote
I'm beginning to think I just have standards that the K-x w/ kit lens doesn't live up to. With all the reviews I perused, I'm surprised I didn't read much about problems w/ sharpness deficiency at wide aperture.
Did you actually say this?

And did you ever visit the Kit Lens club here to see the amazing shots that the 18-55 aren't capable of as you claim?

This is why I first gave you my short, non warm and fuzzy answer.
12-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

The criticism is valid in context...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Did you actually say this?

And did you ever visit the Kit Lens club here to see the amazing shots that the 18-55 aren't capable of as you claim?

This is why I first gave you my short, non warm and fuzzy answer.
Another way of looking at this is that the dozens of "amazing" shots don't include possibly thousands of crummy images that didn't get posted. Can the Kx +18-55 take first rate photographs? Absolutely. But might you have to work harder in some situations (low light for one) and still not get those good shots? Yes. In this context, the OP is justified in saying that the original kit didn't meet expectations. There is a place for valid criticism of Pentax products and for difference of opinion on PF. Too often some folks protest a bit too much over such criticism... present posters excepted, of course.
Brian

12-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #35
Ira
Inactive Account

Brian, great shots are always one in a thousand anyway. But that lens can sure take sharp, properly exposed photos.

But then again, I thought the original problem was AF, right?

See where I'm coming from here?
12-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #36
Site Supporter

How about a K-r and Tamron 17-50 2.8 for $989.99 Its a nice combo, what I use. Also some other "kits" there with the K-r and 35mm 2.4, as well as others. Great price on body only as well. Coming from Canada though fyi

NEW Pentax K-r DSL:R Camera w/ Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lens on eBay.ca (item 310277896490 end time 06-Jan-11 14:05:33 EST)

Ive ordered two lenses and a k-r from these guys. No issues. Theyre great
12-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Ira, I agree in the main. I just didn't want a newbie to get the idea it couldn't be equipment. It usually isn't, but it's possible,
Brian
12-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #38

Original Poster
K-r w/ kit lens arrived today. Tamron 2.8 lens not here yet. Taking sharp pictures right out of the box, even in my basement. Previous unit and/or its lens were definitely defective. Difference is night and day.

12-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like that is settled and you are set then :-) Hopefully the Tamron is one that works out of the box as well (some people have had FF/BF issues, but that is what the warranty is for).
12-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
Buy gold. You'll never loose your money!
I second the emotion.
12-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Brian, great shots are always one in a thousand anyway. But that lens can sure take sharp, properly exposed photos.

But then again, I thought the original problem was AF, right?

See where I'm coming from here?
No I think his issue was mostly the speed of the lens, and it's relatively poor performance wide open.

The kit lens is great at f8. Therefore, it's never great indoors without a flash. His softness was due to the lens being used wide open, where it's not great (and still not very fast).

I would bet that the the kit lens club shots are mostly done at smaller apertures. The kit is no joke... but its really nothing special either.