Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Picture Numbering Optio 750W

Hello, I kept away from Digital cameras because it reminds of computer type problems. And now I have more computer type problems !!

I have an Optio E30 and an Optio 750X (which came along later).
OK I am a nerd but family photos only need nerd cameras.
So I have lived with a problem for 8 months and have stopped using the 750X until I know what to do.

1st Horror > the picture numbers on each camera were identical.
When I saved them to the computer I put them in seperate folders and got round it.

2nd Horror > The Optio 750X is not used as much as the E30. Charged the battery up (8 months ago) but did not put it back in straigthaway. When I did put the battery back the Image counter had gone back to a low number (apparently). Now I have potentially duplicate filenames in the same computer folder.

I have seen other discussions related to Picture numbering on other Pentax cameras.
Eg. About putting a file back on the camera at the number you want it to restart counting etc & I will try this out.

BUT why does this situation happen ?
1. Is it because I copied all pictures off the camera and left none on it?
2. Was it because I did not put the battery back within a certain time limit before memory cleared ?
3. Should as a best practice I do something to avoid it happening?.

PS before I used a WRDate camera with real film and it was beautiful with dates on the pictures (but Pentax would not repair it any more).

12-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The image counter only goes to 9999 in any event, so you will always get overlap. I import my images into LR in folders by date, and change the file number on import to YYYYMMDD_[Image number]. If I ever get a second body, I'll have to figure out another way of handling it to include the camera model, sort of YYYYMMDD_K10_[Image Number] and (I wish) YYYYMMDD_K5_(Image number).
12-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Download and install the free renaming program called... Flexible Renamer found here:

Flexible Renamer

Choose "replace" from the renaming choices and replace the IMG (or whatever prefix the camera puts on the file) with the YYMMDD (year month day) format.
12-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for answers

OK. Image Counter max 9999.
OK. Free Image file renaming program for use on my PC.

BUT does anybody know why the counter on the camera got setback ?

Is it because I left the battery out of the camera too long?
Is it because I had removed all photos from the camera ?
Maybe its a combination of both.

What should I do to avoid it happening again?