Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
That's cool, but care to articulate why? Tripod + macro is pretty much textbook procedure. Not that I do this 100% of the time, but I notice a negative difference more than half the time when I don't use a tripod.

M
It's the flash. At such close working distances, very low power settings on the flash go a long way. Low power settings on hot shoe flash lead to low flash durations that will take care of just about any camera or subject movement.

I don't usually work below 1:1 magnification or above 1/8th power on my flashes, usually I'm at 1/16th. The manual for my SB-28 says at 1/8 power the duration is 1/4800sec, at 1/16 it's down to 1/9100sec (I also use sunpak 433d's, but don't know it's durations). Movement is not a problem for typical subjects at this point.

Ambient light+wind-free environment+non-moving subjects, then a tripod is great. Outside I usually prefer lights to a tripod (if I had to chose only one) and the wind can suck my flash, especially with living subjects that move around so I can follow them more freely. I use old second hand manual flashes+RF-602+homemade softboxes.

12-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel_r Quote
I think you are far less shakey than most Yeatzee,I always use mine.
Course I love my coffee
Maybe..... but all of the great macro photographers I know of all shoot handheld unless like I said its for extreme focus stacks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stiv Quote
Stunning! Can I ask what lens (lenses?) you used?
Sure The cheap great Pentax M 50mm F/1.7 believe it or not