Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
problem with m 50mm 1.7 lens

Hi all,
I'm new to the site as well as dslr photography. Actually any photography. I recently bought a pentax kx, and some older manual lenses. My question is , my m 50mm 1.7 lens doesn't allow the camera to work correctly when it is all the way in. In other words, when I can hear the click while putting the lens on. The shutter seems to get stuck. I can use it without clicking it in all the way, but the pictures don't seem as sharp as my other manual lens, 28mm 2.8. I've got the camera set up to accept manual lenses, and the green button set up to step down the aperture. Does anyone know if this means the lens is broken? Like I said, I'm new to all of this so if there is an explanation, please dumb it down for me
Thanks

12-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi,

I am sorry, I don't have an answer. I am a beginner too, and when I use A 1.7, the camera doesn't recognize it. The shutter info is blank, the aperture (F) info is 3 hyphens. When you press the capture button, the camera doesn't fire at all, so no photo is captured.
12-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's see if we can take this apart phrase by phrase.
QuoteOriginally posted by tlmathena Quote
Hi all,
I'm new to the site as well as dslr photography. Actually any photography. I recently bought a pentax kx, and some older manual lenses. My question is , my m 50mm 1.7 lens doesn't allow the camera to work correctly when it is all the way in.
I assume by all the way in, you mean mounted on the body, with the red diamond for the focusing distance indicator on the lens pointing up, and the white button the lens at about 45 degrees
QuoteQuote:
In other words, when I can hear the click while putting the lens on.
by click, you nean the lens locing pin engaging i the hole on the lens, and you need to press the lens release button to remove the lens
QuoteQuote:
The shutter seems to get stuck.
by stuck, you mean it does not trip the shutter, or it opens when you press the shutter release but remains open
QuoteQuote:
I can use it without clicking it in all the way, but the pictures don't seem as sharp as my other manual lens, 28mm 2.8.
so when mounted but only partially rotated towards locked in
QuoteQuote:
I've got the camera set up to accept manual lenses, and the green button set up to step down the aperture. Does anyone know if this means the lens is broken? Like I said, I'm new to all of this so if there is an explanation, please dumb it down for me
Thanks
Also, are you using the camera in manual mode?

Can you see the aperture blades open and close when the lens is in your hand (not mounted on the camera, as you rotate the aperture ring?

if you press the lever on the mount that connects the aperture does it open and close the aperture, or is it stuck?

You say your other lenses work properly? compare the questions above for your other old lenses, specifically related to the lens in your hand, do all lenses behave the same?

It almost sounds like the aperture lever is interfering with the activation lever in the camera
12-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

1) Do you have the lens set to A or M?

2) Are you shooting in M or Av mode? Don't use any other modes. Also, if you're hitting the green button, you have to be in M mode. You don't use the green button for Av mode.

3) On the K-x, in M mode, the ev +/- button by default locks in your shutter speed when you've manually selected your aperture via the lens's aperture ring. You don't have to use the green button for this, and can assign it a different function.

4) Make sure you see the shake reduction icon appear before hitting the shutter.

Hope this helps, and that's about as dumb as I can get right now.

12-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Let's see if we can take this apart phrase by phrase.
I assume by all the way in, you mean mounted on the body, with the red diamond for the focusing distance indicator on the lens pointing up, and the white button the lens at about 45 degrees by click, you nean the lens locing pin engaging i the hole on the lens, and you need to press the lens release button to remove the lens by stuck, you mean it does not trip the shutter, or it opens when you press the shutter release but remains open so when mounted but only partially rotated towards locked in
Also, are you using the camera in manual mode?

Can you see the aperture blades open and close when the lens is in your hand (not mounted on the camera, as you rotate the aperture ring?

if you press the lever on the mount that connects the aperture does it open and close the aperture, or is it stuck?

You say your other lenses work properly? compare the questions above for your other old lenses, specifically related to the lens in your hand, do all lenses behave the same?

It almost sounds like the aperture lever is interfering with the activation lever in the camera
I have the camera in M mode..the lens is placed correctly, the shutter stays open...just checked and I can see the aperture blades move when off of the camera, they seem to move smoothly..

I'm sorry, I didn't understand that question. What lever?

Thank you for your responses.
12-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlmathena Quote
I have the camera in M mode..the lens is placed correctly, the shutter stays open...just checked and I can see the aperture blades move when off of the camera, they seem to move smoothly..

I'm sorry, I didn't understand that question. What lever?

Thank you for your responses.
On the lens just at the hole for the lens locking pin there is a lever that opens the aperture. If you set the lens to something like F8 the aperture partially closes, and this lever opens the aperture. The corresponding lever in the camera holds the aperture open for focusing and then lets the aperture close for exposure. If this lever is damaged or bent, / stuck, it may be forcing the camera to malfunction.

Can you take a photo of the back of the offending lens so we can see the condition of the mount and aperture lever
12-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
ok, trying to upload pictures now. In case they don't load I did see the lever you were talking about and it moves freely on the lens.
Attached Images

12-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Then I am somewhat stumped. I also have an M50 F1.7 and it works fine on my bodies

12-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

It may be a silly question since you say you are using 28 f2.8 as well but did you set the custom menu setting that says "Allow (or use) Aperture Ring" to permitted? You should have no problem getting a well exposed very sharp photo with the M50 f1.7 lens (Ira, there is no A/M setting on this lens).

http://www.rolleiman.com/Photos/ForSale/Payfor85/TakenWith/K7JS6988m50f17sold.jpg

http://www.rolleiman.com/Photos/ForSale/Payfor85/TakenWith/K7JS6991m50f17sold.jpg

http://www.rolleiman.com/Photos/ForSale/Payfor85/TakenWith/K7JS6992m50f17sold.jpg

http://www.rolleiman.com/Photos/ForSale/Payfor85/TakenWith/K7JS6993m50f17sold.jpg

12-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by msharma Quote
Hi,

I am sorry, I don't have an answer. I am a beginner too, and when I use A 1.7, the camera doesn't recognize it. The shutter info is blank, the aperture (F) info is 3 hyphens. When you press the capture button, the camera doesn't fire at all, so no photo is captured.
Make sure your lens is set to A on the Aperture ring. Otherwise, it will behave exactly like the OPs M version. You Also (if your camera is set to AF-S) have to make sure you are in focus. The simple thing is to set the camera to Manual Focus.

12-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yes, the camera is set to allow. I was hoping someone had experienced something like this. I'm more than willing to concede it could be an error on my part, but I can't think of what it is. Thank you for all your responses.

Could it hurt the kx if I used the lens without it locking into position?
12-10-2010, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #12
Inactive Account

Ok, If I'm not mistaken, you can set your K-x so that the Green Button does DOF Preview (Optical Preview). Page 124 in your manual. Do so. With the lens mounted, set the aperture to f8 or something like that and then press the green button. What happens in the Viewfinder? What should happen, unless I'm mistaken (in M mode), The Aperture will stop down, the viewfinder will darken, and the meter will light up (or an EV number will show). Does that happen? Is the action any different with your 28mm?