Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

what pentax

hi all at the moment im learning stuff on my p30t film slr but i know in the end ill have to go digital as well due to costs

thing is i have looked at loads of brands i have big hands but i do like the fact i can use my glass i have now on a new pentax digital

thing is what one i like to shoot landscapes and wildlife there my two main interests
so could anyone give me some ideas

also price i feel is high but i could be wrong

thank you

12-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k-x is what you'll want: Recommended Pentax Gear | Pentax Cameras | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok looks good is there any gallery of the k-x i can see image examples thanks
12-11-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by attilathethumb Quote
ok looks good is there any gallery of the k-x i can see image examples thanks
You could give Pentax Photo Gallery a try. It's not the best site to navigate due to heavy use of Flash but there are some good examples there of what the KX can do. It's here: PENTAX Photo Gallery.

Click on Image Data and then choose KX and there you go!

12-11-2010, 04:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Attila,
big hands and landscape, K-X is probably a good way to start. Pics are here:
Flickr: Camera Finder: Pentax: K-x
(choose landscape in the drop-down-window)

If you are really cheap and can live with 6Mpix I would recommend looking for a used K100D(super) which is not so big but could be good for you with a battery grip.

I am looking for K-X prices to drop in January/February but hey, I might as well wait another year .-)

Good luck with your choice,
Georg
12-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #6

The only large bodied DSLRs by Pentax are the K10D and K20D. For your intended subject matter these may also be worth looking into used. Just a thought.
12-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
k-x and the k20d both look nice i hate being poor

12-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the P30t works OK in your hands, the K-x will be thicker (front to back) but not bad. It's only a bit heavier. The K10D and K20D will be a nicer fit but noticeably heavier. I think I'd go with the K20D over the K-x but when buying used, it's all about scoring the best deal. You should make sure to acquire a kit lens (DA 18-55mm) because it'll be the cheapest wide angle solution.
12-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought a K20D 2.5 years ago after very carefully studying the alternatives. I wanted a camera that I wouldn't feel a need to 'upgrade' anytime soon. It should last me several more years. It is quite a professional camera, except for fast sports and very low light. The Kx is better than almost anything else in high-ISO low-light work, and I am strongly considering adding one as a backup to the K20D. Click on CAMERAS at the top of this page for a page that allows you to directly compare features of cameras.
12-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
one of the things that put me off digital is when i look through my film camera view finder i can frame my shot and thats what i get with digital i get like 96% filed of view not full frame

this means loads of work on the pc in photoshop
12-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You seem to be saying that the p30t has a 100% viewfinder, which I wasn't aware of, but I'm not familiar with that model. In any case, many of us produced the typical commercially mounted transparencies with our film cameras, meaning that if we had 100% viewfinders, we'd have cropped off a good portion of the visible image. So we didn't mind having the viewfinder show a little less than was actually captured (but hidden by the mount.) Even when I shot b&w, I believe my negative carrier had slightly less than a full-frame opening.

Paul
12-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good advice.

I would recommend the following options for a moderate budget: K-x, K20D (used) and K-7 (used). All are excellent cameras and start to be excellent vaue for money.

Let me add one more bit of advice: go to your local store to try yourself the K-x, K20D and K-7. Your hand feel is most important. Some people with large hands do not like the K-x (too small). Ultimately, it's you who will use the camera and you do not want to be disappointed.

Last edited by hcc; 12-17-2010 at 02:27 PM.
12-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would actually suggest the K-R ATM, it's about 100 more than the k-x new which on it's own is a saving because MSRP listed the K-R 200 more than the K-X.
12-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would have to agree with Rio on the K20. I have had mine for 18 months, and it has everything I need. I too do landscapes but very little wildlife, however I do do ambient low light, at low iso speeds. I have read about the K5, wonderful camera body - however, I feel no compunction to run out and spend $1500. I have seen several factory refurbished sales of K20 units with a kit lens for $499. As previously indicated, the K20 is the largest body Pentax had made (still small compared to other brands), so I would think that it would fit your larger hands probably quite well.

Its controls and functions put it at the semi-pro level, what ever that means. There is really nothing that I have found that it can not do - and its the last Pentax body that supports tethering for some unexplained reason.

If someone gave me a K5 - I would use it, but I would feel very guilty, since the K20 has been serving my needs quite well. I can possibly see keeping it till my skill takes a leap (unlikely) or it dies (hopefully never).

If the $500 mark is a barrier (and I can understand), the K100 is a wonderful body - I still have mine, however the capabilities of the K20 are far and away better.

Hope that helped.....