Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Breakfast with Santa

As you may remember, I had asked for some tips there a month or two ago about doing a "Breakfast with Santa" event being held my my local school. I ended up doing yesterday, and all didn't go to badly. I took about 85 pictures in total. They wanted them printed on the spot in a portrait orientation. I wasn't that happy with the way they looked, but it was based on their request. Santa & the kid(s) were small in the frame in my opinion, but I was set up on a tripod, and didn't move it around. I couldn't get that close, as I wanted to make sure there was room for larger groups. I used my Tak 28mm. Once I got home, I played with a couple of them for friends that showed up there. I'll be printing them out for them. I think my crop & adjusted processing makes the pictures way better than what they originally were. Here they are for your viewing. C&C if you wish.

12-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
As you may remember, I had asked for some tips there a month or two ago about doing a "Breakfast with Santa" event being held my my local school. I ended up doing yesterday, and all didn't go to badly. I took about 85 pictures in total. They wanted them printed on the spot in a portrait orientation. I wasn't that happy with the way they looked, but it was based on their request. Santa & the kid(s) were small in the frame in my opinion, but I was set up on a tripod, and didn't move it around. I couldn't get that close, as I wanted to make sure there was room for larger groups. I used my Tak 28mm. Once I got home, I played with a couple of them for friends that showed up there. I'll be printing them out for them. I think my crop & adjusted processing makes the pictures way better than what they originally were. Here they are for your viewing. C&C if you wish.
I think the framing is quite good, myself. It shows the event as it was. The third one you posted is a bit dark for my taste - the faces seem shadowed.
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think the framing is quite good, myself. It shows the event as it was. The third one you posted is a bit dark for my taste - the faces seem shadowed.
Thanks for the comments. I do like the framing as I posted, but the original framing I didn't like. These were cropped after the fact.

Good point on the third one. Strange it's like that when the others are not. They were all the same lighting setup. I guess it must have just been the way they were sitting to cause the shadows. I'm sure I can fix it easily in post.
12-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Thanks for the comments. I do like the framing as I posted, but the original framing I didn't like. These were cropped after the fact.
It's always easier to crop out the extras, but impossible to add in the ear that didn't quite fit in the frame.

12-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Santa needs some hair spray in the last shot!