Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #1

Hello - my first Q

Hello everyone

i have a question, and might even get suggestions

I was thinking on buying my self the Optio W90 (i love snorkeling and diving ).

i want to buy a memory card for the camera, because what i have is SanDisk Extreme 2GB from my old camera.

i was thinking on getting the Sandisk 16GB Ultra ii.

and to the Q:
should i get my self 2 card of 16GB or one of 32GB - i don't mind having 2 cards doesn't really bother.

in addition i just seen that SanDisk announced its 64GB Ultra card (15MB/s speed)

can the Optio support this size of a card, or its maximum capacity is 32GB?

Thank you for everyone who will answer my questions

12-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have always preferred smaller multiple cards instead of a single large capacity. That way I would not lose all my photos if one card got damaged.
12-12-2010, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Having two smaller cards instead a single big one would be an advantage in case of a card problem. Changes are that cheaper cards (e.g. Transcend class 10) work just as well. 32G is the official limit for SDHC cards so larger cards might be a problem, however, 32G (or 16G) is plenty for camera use, even with video. In any case it would be a good idea to test any card before putting it to use, for Windows there is a free utility called h2testw for doing that. Another thing is to buy memory cards from reputable vendors only; counterfeits are reportedly a problem with Ebay and such.
12-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the other two posters. Cards will, at some point in time, fail. The question you need to ask yourself is can you capture what you need to capture with smaller cards and is it reasonable to swap cards during your day without getting your camera wet in the wrong places? I'd much rather prefer to keep on the safe side for the equipment in your situation because you will be in wet conditions and opening it up (even between dives) can expose the innards to potential water. On the other side, do you dive enough where the loss of a card won't bother you that much? I don't know what the answer to this is, but that's what I see as the two main concerns in this situation.

12-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have been recording digital images and sounds for over a decade now, with cameras and DAR's (digital audio recorders) using a pile of different memory sticks. None has ever failed. The only problem I ever had was a card formatted in one device that wasn't readable in another device; reformatting by computer fixed that. Cards ten years and older still work fine.

I repeat, none has EVER failed -- which doesn't mean that they can't, just that they haven't (yet). I don't buy memory cards on eBay, but name-brand cards at WalMart or CostCo or major online retailers. And before I stick it in a device, I run diagnostic tests on each card via computer. That works for me.

I have one underwater camera, an Olympus 770-SW that can survive down to 10m, according to specs. It has nice tight seals protecting its 8gb xD card. I would be VERY nervous about using smaller cards and swapping them during a wet shoot. I only pull that card when the camera is nice and dry and sitting safely next to a computer on a desk. On all my devices, I use the largest possible card, so I don't have to bother with field-swapping. But just in case, there are extras in my bag...
12-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two cards, one in a little pocket on my camera strap. I can tell you I've used that more than I'd care to admit. The other card remained in my computer at home, so having the second was a real benefit for the absent-minded.
12-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I repeat, none has EVER failed -- which doesn't mean that they can't, just that they haven't (yet). I don't buy memory cards on eBay, but name-brand cards at WalMart or CostCo or major online retailers. And before I stick it in a device, I run diagnostic tests on each card via computer. That works for me.
Similar observations: testing weeds out lemons, if not broken as new flash devices tend to keep on working. The physical connectors and the flash itself will wear out eventually though so testing them time to time would seem prudent. A thorough initial test also helps with exchange, a reputable vendor would to agree to this when the item has been just bought even if there is no explicit warranty. This also helps to avoid using a faulty card/stick for an important purpose; a warranty replacement of a failed card/stick itself doesn't help with data loss.