Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Noob

Hi all...I am new to the land of DSLRs. I am beginning with a Kx...go figure. I am wondering wht when I shoot in RAW...when I open my photos in PSP they are blueish. They preview fine...but open as blue?

12-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here. The K-x will do you well. RAW will give you more latitude to edit your images to your liking with less detail loss in highlights and shadows. Blue-looking landscapes usually occur due to a slight misappropriation of white balance, easily fixed in RAW editors, but also in your favourite image editing programme.
12-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #3

I sometimes gets a blueish tint in Manual Mode when using a flash (external) at low speeds, approx: 1/10 to 1/30
and also if strong LED lights are present in the frame. Just a couple of situations you can look out for.

Michel
12-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Take a look at your white balance setting. It's true that WB can be changed with RAW files but I find it useful to actually set the correct WB for the conditions. It makes it easier to evaluate the photograph. At least for a noob like me. Hope you like your K-x as much as I do.
Kent

12-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know PSP, but there may be a way to set the default white balance to "As shot", versus, say, "daylight".
12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

In PSP (that's Paint Shop Pro you are referring too right?)
there's an adjustment that will make your pic look 'blueish' if not set right.

Open a pic,
clic on 'Effects'
in that menu go to 'Enhance Photo'
and then 'Automatic Color Balance'

there's a 'slide adjustment' for temperature ranging from
2500K (warm/orange tint) to 9300K (cool/blue tint)
you should have yours set to 6500K (Sunlight) as a starting point.

PSP should'nt re-adjust the temp just viewing your pics
unless you manually alter each one with a custom setting,
but it's worth a look just in case..

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 12-13-2010 at 07:54 PM.
12-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I will try your suggestion mlatour.

The photos I took were indoors, no flash, under plenty of artificial light.

12-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find PSP does not keep current with the camera models as fast as other programs.

I think th eissue you have is that the program is swaping two color channels because it does not recpgnize the camera specific RAW,

You can either shoot DNG, or Use Adobe's free DNG converter that will convert your PEF files to readable DNG. You can also check the corel website for updates and upgades of PSP that support your camera. I found this when I got my K7 and had to wait until PSP X3 to get support
12-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
So if I switch to DNG I wont have these issues? Whats the difference between DNG and PEF?
12-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hobkyl Quote
Thanks for the replies. I will try your suggestion mlatour.

The photos I took were indoors, no flash, under plenty of artificial light.
artificial light can be quite varied, all with different colour temperatures and more than one type of lighting may be the issue. it can be vary difficult to set WB for multiple sources (If I know I'm shooting under fluorescent or Tungsten and going to use a flash then I add a gel to my flash to balance it to the appropriate colour temperature.
In film days I would have also added a filter to the lens to correct it all back to daylight if i was shooting a daylight balanced film (almost all film is now daylight balanced the alternates are slowly disappearing)
PSP may not recognize the kx, I always shoot DNG for program compatibility) effectively there is no difference between PEF and DNG as they are both raw files and store the information without finalizing any image settings (the big advantage to RAW)
LED light BTW is the absolute worst light to try and balance. it has a very narrow spectrum and basically mixes red green and blue to get white. if the colour it is casting is any thing other than white you will be missing a big part of the spectrum your sensor picks up.
12-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hobkyl Quote
So if I switch to DNG I wont have these issues? Whats the difference between DNG and PEF?
From what I can tell, only the "packaging" around the image file, and DNG is a little larger. But it is more universal than PEF clearly. Also, I find that Corel looks for the camera name in the PEF file and generally trashes the import when it sees a camera name it does not know

What version of PSP are you using. I use PSP X3 with my K7 which came out about hte same time as the K-x.

As an aside,,there is no reason to shoot raw, properly set JPEGs are jsut as good. RAW's advantage is in fixing real screw ups, or pushing PP t the extreme
12-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed.
If you're happy with JPEG, then ensure you have the right white balance value set on your camera for each shot as the auto white balance feature on the K-x may not always be accurate.
12-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #13

Original Poster
Oh...I thought I had read somewhere that PEF was the preferred file type to use because more image data was available vs DNG.

I am using PSP X3.

I thought there was a clear advantage to using RAW over JPEG thats why I was excited to begin using it once I got a dslr. So the only advantage to it is if you take crap photos or you want to really tweak the image in PP?

How many of you use RAW vs JPEG? I thought RAW was hands down the preferred file format to use amongst professional and aspiring photographers alike.
12-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you nail your exposures everytime and like the Pentax Jpeg result then you don't need raw, If you miss occasionally and do little post work with the exception of minor corrections and like the pentax jpeg then the pentax software for minor corrections and jpeg conversion is fine
If like the majority of people shooting raw you want the ability to alter your images in post from minor to major changes then you want to shoot raw. I'd love to shoot jpeg all the time and save the trouble of PP and could a lot of the time, however there are many scenarios (lighting being one) where i need to post process a fair bit. this is why I shoot Raw. I shoot DNG because at various times I have had software compatibility issues (though I really have none at the moment) DNG is fairly universal
And you are right RAW is in general the preferred file format of any aspiring + photographer, but shooting with the goal of needing little to no post is also a great goal to aspire to
12-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #15

Original Poster
I aplogize I thought I had PSP X3...in actuality I have PSP X2.

This blue tint is throughout the image no matter what settings I have the camera on. From auto to manual, cloudy to sunlight WB....and everything in between all the images shot in PEF are blue.

I tried to manually adjust these in PSP X2 but it just made it warmer or cooler...no single isolation values.