Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 03:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
$100 on junk, even if there's lots of it, is still junk. Put the $100 towards something you actually want, wouldn't that get you a 50mm 1.4 A lens? It's much better to have fewer high quality lenses, than a whole closet full of junk lenses.
Agree

12-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marea Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys. As I said I am a complete novice. The Kx came with the 18-55 lens so that's all I have at the moment.
I've bought a few ebay lenses since buying my K-x (came with kit 18-55 and 50-200mm)

Pentax-A 50mm f2
Tokina 28mm f2.8
Pentax FA 35-70mm

To be honest I prefere the image quallity of the 18-55mm kit to the (these 2 at any rate) primes and although the FA lens is better in terms of image quallity the kit lens still sees more use, due to its field of view...

I only really use the 50-200mm at a mates Ice Hockey games, so its fairly redundant...

I'd just save for a Tamron 17-50mm f2 or a pentax 16-45mm f4... Improve your image quality... Gain low light capability... And keep the flexability of a zoom while your still learning...

Just planting seeds
12-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"$100 Worth Of Junk Lenses Club".

"A Bag Of Lenses Collectively Worth $75 Club"

I do agree that spending $100 on four "junk" lenses puts you $100 further away from your goal of "quality" lenses but while many are recommending the money go towards this lens or that lens he/she is still left wondering whose advice to take and why he/she should buy lens "A" or lens "B".
$100 for a variety of lenses with questionable reputation just might be a better way for him/her to develope their own standards and expectations to make their own choice in quality in the future.

And some of you will note that I seldom follow my own suggestions. Just keep stocking up on lenses of questionable reputation, having fun with it and taking photographs.
12-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marea Quote

I may offer him $75 and see if he will take it.
Wait. You intend to try to suggest a lower price to your friend? Awkward.
You believe your friend is not asking a friend for a fair price?

No I am sure $25 will make a difference.

12-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I've bought a few ebay lenses since buying my K-x (came with kit 18-55 and 50-200mm)

Pentax-A 50mm f2
Tokina 28mm f2.8
Pentax FA 35-70mm

To be honest I prefere the image quallity of the 18-55mm kit to the (these 2 at any rate) primes and although the FA lens is better in terms of image quallity the kit lens still sees more use, due to its field of view...

I only really use the 50-200mm at a mates Ice Hockey games, so its fairly redundant...

I'd just save for a Tamron 17-50mm f2 or a pentax 16-45mm f4... Improve your image quality... Gain low light capability... And keep the flexability of a zoom while your still learning...

Just planting seeds
maybe you're doing something wrong? the kit lens is like f/5+ @ 50mm, and your prime is at f2... that's a huge difference in speed, I don't know how you take better pictures with kit lens VS that prime. Could be something wrong with your prime too.

And why the Pentax FA 35-70mm when you already have a kit 18-55? doesn't make alot of sense to me .

also the 50-200 is not as good as the 55-300 (heard it from forum members), and if you check ebay prices, I think if you were to get the 55-300 you can unload it for alot more.

Some of the lens you suggested is up there at the 300-500 bucks mark, that's almost as much as a k-r body. Sure it's nice but I'm not sure everyone will have the cash to do it (OP is trying to go for 75 bucks).
12-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
$100 on junk, even if there's lots of it, is still junk. Put the $100 towards something you actually want, wouldn't that get you a 50mm 1.4 A lens? It's much better to have fewer high quality lenses, than a whole closet full of junk lenses. __________________
As said Wheatfields already gave hi a 50mm 1,7 wich is great so why go for a 50mm 1,4...
The whole bag is nice since it comes with lenses and camera..you can play with film (i am getting into it now and enjoy it a lot..)..he can try out the lenses and if he's not convinced he can pass them on or just start some DIY projects with them.
You can make the extension ring..you can also use a filter and a mount to do a homemade reversing ring for macro fotography...you can mess with a lens, opent it, start to understand it's mechanics and maybe make something fun out of it..."junk" is underrated..it can be a lot of fun. Look at the flash model and find out if can be used with your Kx..
Those lenses aren't great if you got a lens in mind you might want to skip the lot..i
12-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
As said Wheatfields already gave hi a 50mm 1,7 wich is great so why go for a 50mm 1,4...
The whole bag is nice since it comes with lenses and camera..you can play with film (i am getting into it now and enjoy it a lot..)..he can try out the lenses and if he's not convinced he can pass them on or just start some DIY projects with them.
You can make the extension ring..you can also use a filter and a mount to do a homemade reversing ring for macro fotography...you can mess with a lens, opent it, start to understand it's mechanics and maybe make something fun out of it..."junk" is underrated..it can be a lot of fun. Look at the flash model and find out if can be used with your Kx..
Those lenses aren't great if you got a lens in mind you might want to skip the lot..i
It's still $100 (which isn't pocket change). If you want some cheap stuff just go to a pawn shop and pick exactly what you want. You can probably get 2 or 3 similar pieces (and maybe find a hidden gem) for $25 and do the stuff you talk about.
12-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Wait. You intend to try to suggest a lower price to your friend? Awkward.
You believe your friend is not asking a friend for a fair price?

No I am sure $25 will make a difference.
Not awkward at all. It's a business transaction, I don't know the chap - he's someone my friend knows & I have no issues doing it. The recommendations on here were to offer $75, I have no problem asking if he's willing to take that, if not then there's no issues.

And, for a self employed artist $25 can make a BIG difference.

12-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the imput, I think I'll pass on the bag & look around a bit more.
12-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
maybe you're doing something wrong? the kit lens is like f/5+ @ 50mm, and your prime is at f2... that's a huge difference in speed, I don't know how you take better pictures with kit lens VS that prime. Could be something wrong with your prime too.
Its possible that I am... However I find that the pentax-A 50mm f2 isn't sharp til around f4 and not tack-sharp til f5.6...

I hear the f1 version of the A-50mm is much better...

And why the Pentax FA 35-70mm when you already have a kit 18-55? doesn't make alot of sense to me
Due to the FA's field of view (something to do with 1.5 sensor crop) it's actually an extension of range on the kit that works nicely... Works out around 50-105mm... and pretty sharp...

also the 50-200 is not as good as the 55-300 (heard it from forum members), and if you check ebay prices, I think if you were to get the 55-300 you can unload it for alot more.
Yep... 50-200mm is not great but came as part of a good deal and gives me what I need... Don't use it often as when I want extra reach (except the Hockey games) on the 18-50 kit... I bang on the FA 35-70mm which is considerably sharper...

Some of the lens you suggested is up there at the 300-500 bucks mark, that's almost as much as a k-r body. Sure it's nice but I'm not sure everyone will have the cash to do it (OP is trying to go for 75 bucks).
Fair point... But the OP has a K-x body already... Was trying to suggest that maybe he should (on furter consideration) walk from the deal... Keep the $100 and save some more for some better glass... Should have made myself more clear prehaps...

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 12-16-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: missed something of relevance
12-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Where I'm at: I have about 155 lenses I've bought in the last 2.5 years. Fewer than 10 are autofocus. Yes, I like manual glass.

What I would do with this set: Offer US$75. I see a telextender in there. If it has data contacts on it, I'd definitely keep it. I would keep bags, filters, etc. I would sell the body, lenses, flash. Old flashes can fry dSLR electronics, ruining the camera. None of those lenses is exciting, and I'm prejudiced against manual zooms that aren't exciting. I dumped my A28-80 because of obvious optical aberrations. The Cosina 70-300 might be OK if it has data contacts on its base, but as with any old manual zoom, there will be issues with SR (shake reduction). The M50/2 isn't bad, just isn't exciting, but it's the best of this lot -- I'd keep it except that I already have one.

That's my take. If I bought the lot, I could probably make a few bucks selling it off piece-meal, but you're wise just to walk away from it. Better cheap lenses are available.