Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What to believe??

Hey guys. Have just got a k-x and have been putting the images onto my Sony vaio laptop for storage and editing in Lightroom. I decided to try compare what they look like on the screen of my laptop compared to my desktop and they are VERY different.

I believe the desktop seems to display a better picture, but am unsure. EG. in some photos on my laptop the ocean appears blue while on the larger lcd on my desktop it appears more green, as I imagine it should. Looks better anyway.

Problem is I will be traveling again and will want to store and edit photos on the go using my laptop. How can I now do this with it being very different? I don't want to be editing my pictures, making them look incorrect!

I've heard of calibrating software etc etc that helps but it sounds pricey ( and I live in NZ).

Any ideas? Cheers

12-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

One of the reasons why you might have the problems is the angle of view on the laptop. Tilt the screen slightly and colours and contrast will probably change. If that's the case, the laptop is useless for serious editing.

This depends on the type of screen; both my netbook and laptop suffer from this. There is a 'new' type of technology (IPS) that might be better for your purpose; not sure if there are laptops with it.

Just a link that I found: LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN
12-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You will need some sort of hardware monitor calibrator for the job if you are serious, like i1d2 or Spyder3 etc. However, even calibrated, different monitors will display differently but still far better than none. The majority of notebooks have very narrow viewing angle TN. The brightness and colour will shift as the viewing angle changes. Desktop TN monitors are a little better, but IPS would be ideal.
12-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
One of the reasons why you might have the problems is the angle of view on the laptop. Tilt the screen slightly and colours and contrast will probably change. If that's the case, the laptop is useless for serious editing.

This depends on the type of screen; both my netbook and laptop suffer from this. There is a 'new' type of technology (IPS) that might be better for your purpose; not sure if there are laptops with it.

Just a link that I found: LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN
there are some Thinkpads with IPS panels, think it`s the T line
I have Thinkpad R500 with 15,4 WSXGA+ and CCFL backlight, and compared to any other common desktop LCDs at work or anywhere else I was able to compare, the display is much much better
IPS pannels are more of a proffesional solution in my opinion, but of course, I wouldnt mind owning one
I just found on wiki, that LG`s last generation IPS claims 30 bit colour depth -1,07 bilion colours - wow
TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You definitely need to calibrate your monitors. You can approximate this by eyeballing, using test images (I'll send a link later when I got access to my computer again).

The best option, however, is to use hardware calibration. You might be able to borrow such a device from someone or a club.

BTW, join us at the "Kiwi Pentaxians" thread if you like.
12-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
ok cheers guys. I did manage to get a few adjustments done that has made a difference. Just used the built in one in win 7. Would be nice to get it properly done tho.

Class A, a link would be great. Cheers
12-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

this could help too
LCD monitor test images

12-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yep, the link provide by stanic is the one I would have provided as well. Thanks, stanic.
12-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

you`re welcome, lads
good luck camo