Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

a couple of questions

I am a student, still learning the art of photography and wanting to enter into the photojournalism field once done with school. Until now, I have been using the equipment that I can check out from the school, a Rebel XS, but want to buy my own camera. I am really looking at a K-7 with the 18-55mm kit, along with a 50mm f1.4 lens for video, as I am also very interested in shooting video.

That said, my questions are:

1) is this a good set up for me, given experience (little), should I go with the K-r instead?

2) is there a compatibility problem with the SMCP-M 50mm lenses and dSLR cameras

3) would I be able to plug the camera up to a computer, without a card reader, Mac with photoshop like I did with the school rented equipment?

4) what other information should I be considering?

If somebody has already posted this question and I failed to see it, then sorry, and could you point me in the right direction?

12-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would ask your instructor(s) whether they have any issue with you using a non canon product. This is because they may not be willing or able to assist you in terms of translating canon speak to pentax speak, i.e. translating control function names and controls.

While it is a stupid point, there have been other posters who have complained that course instructors are a little narrow minded in this respect.

This is not to put you off pentax of course, but you need to make sure your school and instructors are willing to accept other camera makes within the classes.

As to other questions
1) what camera, that is a tough question. They are both good, Personally I like the K7 (I have one) but the higher ISO capabilities of the K-r may be of interest. NOte that this will definitely NOT be the last camera you get.

2) compatibility is not an issue, but note with lenses that do not have an A position, matrix metering does not work, only spot and center weighted, and P-TTL flash does not work, The same holds true for M42 (Screw mount lenses, when used with an adaptor) But the beauty of pentax cameras is that it can use a ton of older lenses and many forum members here (self included) shoot a variaty of old and odd lenses.

3) I have no experience with Mac's but I believe the camera allows downloading directly to a mac, although a card reader is much more useful. Downloading via a cable creates new dates on the file, which can confuse you as to creation date. It is easier and faster to copy direct from a memory card, and this also does not consume battery power in the process.

4) as to what other information? at this point a camera is a camera for you, and the biggest point for you to consider is the issue about your instructors and their willingness to allow you to use a non canon camera, as stupid as this sounds.
12-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

+1 with Lowell. He gave you excellent advice.

I would add simply:

- get a good-quality SD card; you do not want to loose your shots because the card fails;

- get a hood; outdoor, the hood is a must to reduce the risk of flare;

- get a compact carry bag, from where you can get quickly your camera;

- read the instruction manual; if your instructor is willing to assist with a Pentax, you will enjoy the K-7... but remember that a dSLR is not a P&S; it is worth to read the instructions to get the most out of the camera;

- lastly, enjoy....

Hope that the few comments will help...

Last edited by hcc; 12-15-2010 at 02:19 AM.
12-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The 18-55 that comes with the K7 is the WR version (or rather: should be the WR version) and that comes with a hood. Might not fit on the M50 though.

Enjoy your venture

12-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K-7 can shoot video, but you might want to check the specs if you want a particular format, FPS, etc. Also people talk about control over all the settings. That might be important.(I've shot about four terrible videos with mine and barely know how to get the mode switch into video.)
12-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for your replies. i will ask my professor if there will be any problems using a Pentax. i am happy that you brought that up because i didn't even think of that being a problem. i think that even if there is a problem with using a pentax for school, i will continue to use the check out equipment and buy a k-7 or a k-r. you people are very helpful. Thank you again.