Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax KX plus lens question

Dear Readers,
This is my first post as a proud owner of a new Pentax KX camera. I have used as ME Super for many years but have now graduated to the KX.

My main question is this. I have attached an old lens to my new camera and it does not seem to want to work. The lens is an AUTO-PROMURA CP Hi-Lux MC 1:4:5 f=80-200mm lens.

When I look through the viewfinder I am faced with a blackout. nb. the lens cap is not on!

Is there something obvious I am not doing which is stopping me using this lens?

Best Regards,

philrob
Western Australia

12-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know the lens but it sounds like the aperture is closed.
12-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is this a k-mount lens (or an M42 with an adapter) ?
12-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on the KX - I assume this is the film KX and not the digital K-X?

Check the following:
1) the mirror in the camera is down - if this is the film KX the foam bumper may be old and sticky; in the short run shaking the camera usually lets the mirror drop, the proper solution is to replace light seals and foam
2) with the lens off the camera, test the aperture, it should work in the same manner as your good lens, with the same lever in the same location.
3) Just making sure - you can see through the view finder with no lens and with a known good lens?

12-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-mount system is designed so that the lens aperture is fully opened when the lens is properly mounted. That should apply to any lens with a K-mount. So the first question is, does your lens mount look like the first one pictured in this article?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/87589-photos-k-m42-m...-k-mounts.html

If it does, you should look through the lens off the camera. The aperture blades should fully open in two ways. With the aperture ring set to f4.5, they'll always be open. They should close a little with each step on the aperture ring and be fully closed at f22 or whatever the highest number is. Then you should be able to move the aperture lever (tab sticking out of the mount) and the blades should open. The lever is spring-loaded and should have little resistance to movement. You should be able to flick it and have the blades snap open and closed, somewhat like a shutter.

When the lens is mounted on the camera, the camera has its own lever that holds the lever on the lens fully open. If that doesn't happen, the lens aperture stays closed and the viewfinder gets pretty dark. You can normally see something, it's just grainy and dark.

Does the lens work at all on the ME Super?
12-18-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax KX - lens problem

First thing is to say thank you for the replies from all parties.

I have discovered what the problem is - the lens used is an old one which does not have automatic focus.

I have bought an appropriate lens for my camera now and it works like a dream!

Merry Christmas to all!

Phil
Western Australia