Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it existe? Flash sync cord for two flashes on PTTL ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is there a flash sync cord with PTTL for two flashes?

(I can only find for one flash unit, example here off camera TTL flash sync cord for Pentax K10D K20D K-7 - eBay (item 180505663244 end time Jan-04-11 18:04:33 PST) )

Thanks in advance!

12-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's not very long only 1M suitable for a bracket on your camera, they show a 3m in the description that makes more sense for stand mounting
from the looks of it you could attach a second one to the top of the first as they provided a shoe
or if the flash has pc connectors use a pc cord (likely this would be ttl though not pttl), that being said I'm no flash expert prefering available light whenever possible, and i rent light rigs for times i need them
ti's certainly cheap enough to buy a couple and try it out though if you have 2 pttl units (I only have one, my other units are all old school so i stick to manual and triggers)
12-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has their own cables and connectors that can do this:

Off-Camera Flash Setups

The new price for the Pentax stuff is pretty high. I got mine used or connected to flashes that I resold.

I agree that 1m is too short; you can stretch the cable that far, but only by pulling on it hard enough to pull something over. A 3m cable is more useful.
12-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Pentax has their own cables and connectors that can do this:

Off-Camera Flash Setups

The new price for the Pentax stuff is pretty high. I got mine used or connected to flashes that I resold.

I agree that 1m is too short; you can stretch the cable that far, but only by pulling on it hard enough to pull something over. A 3m cable is more useful.
Point is to set up my 400/5.6 on k7 and have some sort of cable that allows PTTL to be used on two AF 540 flashes, one, for instance, on the camera, and other on the hood of the lens or "nearby".

This way I can make a "trap" for birds when in lowlight when I'm camouflaged or in a "hide".
PTTL is needed (that's why I was thinking on cables instead of TLL - manual adjust can't be done )

A PTTL cable for two flashes must exist, right?

12-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Or I'm thinking wrong?
12-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

this one would let you use 2 i believe but you need 2 cable judging by the pictures
Pentax does indeed make some cables but it may be cheaper to try 2 of these first than even buying one Pentax
12-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Point is to set up my 400/5.6 on k7 and have some sort of cable that allows PTTL to be used on two AF 540 flashes, one, for instance, on the camera, and other on the hood of the lens or "nearby".

This way I can make a "trap" for birds when in lowlight when I'm camouflaged or in a "hide".
PTTL is needed (that's why I was thinking on cables instead of TLL - manual adjust can't be done )

A PTTL cable for two flashes must exist, right?
The cord in your link would work for one flash. I don't think you could connect the second flash, even with a second cord.

The AF540FGZ has a socket for a Pentax Sync Cord F 5P. You could purchase one of those to connect the two flashes together. One could be on the camera, or with the cheap eBay cord, both off-camera. I think that would work, but can't test it because I only have one P-TTL flash.

12-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is a tricky nut. I don't think it's able to wire 2 p-ttl flashes, but one with p-ttl, and second one with optical slaves that ignore pre-flash (in manual flash mode). Is it good enough?
12-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are three different Pentax hot shoes modules :
- First one (31045) is only a F5p connector.
- 2nd one (31022) is a pass-through for the camera, where you can plug a F5P cord and still mount a flash (or another hot shoe module).
- the last one (31046) (very similar) only have the top connectors. The bottom hosts a tripod thread.

As you can see, the two last ones are nearly identical...

So, with 2xAF540, you would need one 31022 with a 3m cable going to your 1st AF540's f5p plug, and then one 31045 on top of it with another cable going to your 2nd AF540.

The K20 user manual gives another example, page 150, but using AF360 (without the F5P plugs).

Last edited by dlacouture; 12-17-2010 at 01:53 AM.
12-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys, check this out

Off Camera Shoe Cord 2 FLASH sync Cable i-TTL For nikon on eBay (end time 21-Dec-10 05:47:29 GMT)

That's what I mean, one flash in the camera conector and the other one in the other side.

Now, problem is that I can't find it for PENTAX on ebay