Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GIGANTIC 7x5?

Hi all, I hope someone can help me with a quick question. A friend of mine asked me to fix up a photo he wants to send to his father. I'm no wiz at that, but have been doing a little good for a little while. But I've never run across this problem before and can't figure out how to fix it.

When I open the shot he sent me, it shows that its dimensions are approx. 7x5. Fine, that's what he wants. BUT, the image on my screen is GIGANTIC. It almost fills the screen at 25%. If I put it at 100% only a small portion will fit on the screen at all. If I put it at 100% and reduce it to a "normal" size on the screen (about what 7x5's usually look like), it says it's dimensions are about 2"x1". If I reduce the canvas size, either pixels or inches, it just shrinks the image again. What, if anything, can I do? Or, do I not worry about it and it will look "normal" when it's printed? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Mark

12-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Your screen resolution is only 72dpi, whereas the file is probably 5x7 at like 300 dpi, or 200 dpi, which is what it should be for quality printing--although not always necessary.

Ignore the magnification on your monitor, because this is what makes you think the image size itself is huge, but it isn't:

5x7 images at 72dpi, 150dpi, 300 dpi and 600dpi will all view as different sizes on your monitor, but will all print at 5X7.

If you have an image editing program which tells you image size, it will also tell you resolution. But when printing, as far as the size of the print goes, only the image size matters.

Resolution matters for the quality of the print.

These are confusing concepts to grasp at first, but eventually, it will sink in.
12-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, sounds wierd as other 5x7's don't appear this size. But I'll take your word for it. Thanks a lot! :-)
12-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did he send you an actual shot, or a scan? My scanner creates color scans using 600 DPI, which can result in a huge file/picture. As noted, any photo software will open a sized image which you can work from.

12-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

If you have an image editing program that can change size, save the original image.

Then change the resolution to half, while selecting Resample, or something like that, depending on the program.

Let's say, for an example, you have a 4x4 image at 300.

If you change it to 2X2 WITHOUT resampling, it will be 2x2 at 600 dpi. And it will print at 2x2, but look exactly the same on your monitor. And you've lost zero file data, and can go back to its original size at 300 as if nothing ever happened.

I'm on my iTouch now and can't type very well, but I'll be glad to help you better understand this when I get home later, via PMs or this thread.

If you have resampling checked, it wll

Last edited by Ira; 12-18-2010 at 10:51 AM.
12-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, it is a scan. Is there anything to be done with that? And, Ira, I'll try your info too. Thanks a lot, both of you.
12-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depending on your photo processing software, you should be able to re-size it. I've put scans into Photo Shop and re-sized them without issues. Another possible option - upload it to photobucket and use their editing software to re-size it and then download it back again.

12-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Is it coming together for you yet?