Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Night shooting

Hi All

I am going to get a DSLR for christmas and have asked for a Kx, I am new to DSLR, I have used an old 35mm a few years ago and took some night shots of the aurora borealis here in England where I was able to keep the shutter open, will I be able to do the same with the Kx or can anyone explain how I can take night shots.

Much Appreciated
AndyA

12-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On most DSLRs, there's a "Bulb" mode which is made for that purpose.

the Kx has that feature.
12-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, I will have a go when I get my new camera
12-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Show us what you come up with. Here in Southeast Michigan USA, I've never seen it.

Welcome aboard!

12-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a few differences between long night exposures with film cameras and DSLRs.

One is dark frame subtraction, a technology to reduce the noise produced by the sensor for long exposures. The camera takes the photo you want, then takes a second image with the shutter closed for the same period of time. It subtracts the second photo from the first. So long exposures take twice as long as you want.

Another issue is battery power. You'll need good batteries for the long exposures, and the dark frame subtraction image that follows. Low temperature can reduce battery life too.

The K-x might be kind of annoying for these photos because it doesn't have a setup for a wired remote. The wireless remote might also require holding down a button for the entire exposure - I'm not sure.

But you don't have to worry about reciprocity failure.