Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Full memory card

I have the Pentax K-X I have a 2gb and 4gb memory card and no matter which one I use I dont seem to get any warning that the card is full. The camera will continue to take pictures but they just wont be stored anywhere - is this mornal? The 4 gb card only seems to save about 130-150 picutres before this happens, I have recently formatted the card again but it still only seems to hold the same amount - can anyone help, does this sound right and if not do you think its the cards or the camera?! Thanks

12-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the manual you should get a warning (page 293).

If you're shooting 12MP best quality jpeg, 130 to 150 sounds like your card is / cards are only 1GB. And you might have fake cards that report that they are bigger than they actually are.
Put your 2GB in and shoot as many 'dumb' photo's as you can. You should get the warning somewhere between 250 and 300 shots (don't shoot with the lenscap on the lens, as that compresses nicely)

If your shooting RAW. 150 images can be around the limit (for a 4GB card) but you should get the warning.
02-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To see if the card is fake or bad, try copying random data to the card from the computer and see how much you can really fit on there.
03-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frooggy Quote
To see if the card is fake or bad, try copying random data to the card from the computer and see how much you can really fit on there.
Or use h2testw (Google for it) program which does the same thing and more.