Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noaslplease Quote
Okay, Ira, I'm sorry if this thread isn't up to PentaxForums.com standards. I already looked for other threads, and I didn't see anything completely related to my question. That's why. I'm really new to this, so you don't have to be this conceited. To me, this is a useful thread, because it may contain those "unwritten" rules or tips to help me get the most out of my camera.
This is the beginner's section. This forum is for help. You weren't ANY help at all.
At the others, thanks for the suggestions, especially hcc. I look forward to getting my camera!
This other thread may be helpful. I found it in the same "beginner section"
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/120869-settings...s-new-k-r.html

Jason

12-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
<snip>
I also recommend reading the manual and posts here about common new owner issues with the K-x. For example, I hadn't used the remote for a few weeks and wanted to take a picture of my family with my 2 sister's families tonight at our Christmas party. Forgot how to turn the blasted thing on - the manual being online was a great help at my sister's house
I put the manual in my camera bag. It's not such a good shape for that as the Olympus one was - that was twice the area and half the thickness and bendier - but being able to check at the time has been invaluable several times. I also either fold important page corners down or add a Post-It - the Post-Its are handy if you need to make notes.

BTW hope the OP has a nice large memory card and plenty of spare HDD. My previous camera was an E510 and I could get a codec for Windows 7x64 for it's ORFs, but one isn't available for PEFs on W7x64 so I shot RAW+JPG.
12-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I put the manual in my camera bag. It's not such a good shape for that as the Olympus one was - that was twice the area and half the thickness and bendier - but being able to check at the time has been invaluable several times. I also either fold important page corners down or add a Post-It - the Post-Its are handy if you need to make notes.

BTW hope the OP has a nice large memory card and plenty of spare HDD. My previous camera was an E510 and I could get a codec for Windows 7x64 for it's ORFs, but one isn't available for PEFs on W7x64 so I shot RAW+JPG.
With WiFi and 4G connectivity the manual is only a URL away these days

I bought a new 2Tb external HD right after the K-x, good point about having enough storage capacity!
12-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

My mobile phone is at least 5 years old, it's my work phone, even if it would let me browse the Internet it would be a personal call which I'm not meant to make.

No way am I going to pay for a 3G or 4G phone myself just to save on carrying the manual around. I have no idea if there is actually a 3G/4G signal in the more remote places I take photos.

12-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My mobile phone is at least 5 years old, it's my work phone, even if it would let me browse the Internet it would be a personal call which I'm not meant to make.

No way am I going to pay for a 3G or 4G phone myself just to save on carrying the manual around. I have no idea if there is actually a 3G/4G signal in the more remote places I take photos.
I guess there isn't in much of the wilder areas of Scotland. Living in Metro Atlanta I have ready access to signals nearly everywhere I go here and even on outings into the North Georgia mountains signals are pretty easy.
12-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You sort of make the UK sound like a 3rd world country! AFAIK reception is pretty much line of sight, and Scotland is full of mountains with nooks and crannies. Short of cover the Highlands in masts there never will be coverate in many of the remote glens.

Come to that the Orange signal was dodgy at the gliding club but now Orange have merged with TMobile the phone simply roams to the strongest signal.

Now on top of Ben Nevis - there has been coverage there for years, but then it's right next door to Fort William. I remember climbing it via Tower Ridge quite a few years back and a young chap with a huge rucksack was in the refuge at the top and got out one of the very old size of two or three bricks 'mobile' phones and made a call home!

The towns have coverage and there is coverage along the roads, but all in all carrying a manual is a lot easier. I'll be carrying a camera, extra lens, battery, tripod, filters and a few other odds and ends so I'll be using a rucksack what difference does a small booklet make?
12-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, I never thought of that. I'll probably put in my warranty info as well. Also the post-its are certainly a very clever idea.
@doc, I have a 3g phone, but it's slow and too clumsy to ready pdf files, or even download them.
12-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I have found these very handy for marking locations in books and such: Amazon.com: Post-it Flags, 1/2-Inch, Ideal For Marking And Flagging Paper Documents, Assorted Colors, 100 Flags per Dispenser (683-5CF): Office Products

12-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Wow, you're a bit touchy. My grandmother was from an Island off the western coast. I seem to recall, from visits, lots of beautiful and very remote areas with few people. Its the same here when you go to remote areas with lower population density. Towers at key points, along main highways, and the rest is still wild. Good thing too for those who want to do untouched landscapes.

You sort of make the UK sound like a 3rd world country! AFAIK reception is pretty much line of sight, and Scotland is full of mountains with nooks and crannies. Short of cover the Highlands in masts there never will be coverate in many of the remote glens.

Come to that the Orange signal was dodgy at the gliding club but now Orange have merged with TMobile the phone simply roams to the strongest signal.

Now on top of Ben Nevis - there has been coverage there for years, but then it's right next door to Fort William. I remember climbing it via Tower Ridge quite a few years back and a young chap with a huge rucksack was in the refuge at the top and got out one of the very old size of two or three bricks 'mobile' phones and made a call home!

The towns have coverage and there is coverage along the roads, but all in all carrying a manual is a lot easier. I'll be carrying a camera, extra lens, battery, tripod, filters and a few other odds and ends so I'll be using a rucksack what difference does a small booklet make?
12-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Ira seems to be one of the "very friendly members" that Bramela mentioned.
Don't you apologize. We apologize! Good luck with your endeavors and complaints of the season.
Sure does.
Looks like he deleted his second post.
teehee.
12-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Hello everybody!
I'm a new user (4 days) of pentax k-x and I'm trying to learn about my new camera. I bought the camera from Amazon (USA), but someone brought it to me (in Romania). Even if I payed for a new camera, I'm a little confused with shutter counter. On my 16gb card the last picture name is IMGP1002, but whith PHOTOME the shutter counter shows 1230. Why is this possible? I tried "reset" and then "format" option in menu to find out if anybody else made shots with this camera before me and thus to find out if possible to delete the traces, but it looks that is not possible (shots history is kept). So! Which is the explanation? Did I buy a refurbished camera at the price of a new one? I must say that the camera looked to be new when arrived...

Thanks in advance for help.

Last edited by tutuciprian; 12-27-2010 at 05:01 PM.
12-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey tutuciprian!
Uh...I think you should start a new thread about your problem.
And contact Customer Support.
12-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I found the answer: I made a couple of shots without the card inserted in the camera. They are not stored as pictures, but the counter registered every shot.
12-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Ira seems to be one of the "very friendly members" that Bramela mentioned.
Don't you apologize. We apologize! Good luck with your endeavors and complaints of the season.

Give Ira break guys... In a pinch he has what you need to know stored in his head... He's just straight talking is all... I've found a great deal of his comments on PF to be a massive help...
12-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tutuciprian Quote
Hello everybody!
I'm a new user (4 days) of pentax k-x and I'm trying to learn about my new camera. I bought the camera from Amazon (USA), but someone brought it to me (in Romania). Even if I payed for a new camera, I'm a little confused with shutter counter. On my 16gb card the last picture name is IMGP1002, but whith PHOTOME the shutter counter shows 1230. Why is this possible? I tried "reset" and then "format" option in menu to find out if anybody else made shots with this camera before me and thus to find out if possible to delete the traces, but it looks that is not possible (shots history is kept). So! Which is the explanation? Did I buy a refurbished camera at the price of a new one? I must say that the camera looked to be new when arrived...

Thanks in advance for help.
A fair number of test actuations takes place at the factory; I don't think they reset the counter.