Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
What should I do when my K-x arrives?

Hi everyone, this is my first post on PentaxForums.com. I was just looking for some help. I have ordered a K-x from Adorama and it will arrive next week. I was wondering what should I do in regards of changing settings, buying things, and things I can do to get more familiar with the controls and functions of this camera. I have already bought a camera bad, a class 6 SD card, and eneloop batteries.
Thanks!

12-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What should I do when my K-x arrives?

Take pictures.

(welcome to the forum)
12-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mean to sound condiscending , but I would suggest :

1. Read the manual thoroughly.

2. Get out there and start clicking.

You will quickly pick up the easiest and most comfortable way to put it to good use.
Yes, you will have some failed shots, but well, don't we all, it is all part of learning.

Best of luck, enjoy your new camera, and any problems don't be shy to put your photos in here for us too see. There is a wealth of very experienced, very friendly members, to give you all the advice you need.
12-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Here is a similar thread with accessory suggestions:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/124224-hopefull...ml#post1283993

And here you can find the manual as .PDF should to want to read that while waiting the camera to arrive:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf

[edit: In case you are new to photography, this should be a great help: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/08174...698734&sr=1-1]

12-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you'll come to like the K-x.
It's a fine camera.
Definitely read the camera's manual, and be familiar with the basics of photography - the exposure triad and composition/framing.
Enjoy.
12-18-2010, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Congratulations for your new camera.

You already received some excellent advice.

- First charge your batteries. (or best start with non-rechargeable Lithium batteries).

- Check that your camera works.

- Check the firmware. To check the version number, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. The latest K-x firmware is version 1.01.

If you need to update the firmaware, go to Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site.

- Read the instruction manual. A dSLR is not a P&S and it pays off to read the instructions.

- Set the file type and size that you want to use. Many use RAW. Other use JPEG.

- Set the AF to centre point. That is, the camera will focus on the centre of the picture.

- Set the auto focus to AF.S.

- Start to shoot ....

- Unless you have already a photo software, install Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU). It is free and comes with the camera. Update to the latest version: 4.31 at Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site.

- learn to post-process (PP) your shots. You can easily improve each shot with minimum PP, and the results is much more appealling.

Hope that the advice will help...
12-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

1) take the box to the post office
2) mail it to me.

thanks.

12-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by noaslplease Quote
Hi everyone, this is my first post on PentaxForums.com. I was just looking for some help. I have ordered a K-x from Adorama and it will arrive next week. I was wondering what should I do in regards of changing settings, buying things, and things I can do to get more familiar with the controls and functions of this camera. I have already bought a camera bad, a class 6 SD card, and eneloop batteries.
Thanks!
Welcome aboard!

I would download the manual and read it before the camera arrives. If for no other reason than to familiarize yourself with the menus. Charge your batteries so you're good to go as soon as you get your camera. When you have your camera, put the lens on and start taking photos. Until you know what you Need, I wouldn't spend anymore money unless you find a bargain on some cool lenses (then, kiss all your money goodbye because you'll have been bitten by LBA).

12-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Don't drop it.

Aside from that, read the manual, and pay attention while reading it.

That's about it.
12-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
2) mail it to me.

thanks.
Just the Box?

12-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
So in other words, you want people here to sum up 3598 posts into one tidy post for your convenience?

Explore the site here and look for the information you seek.

Wow. If ever a thread should be deleted from the get-go, this is it.
Okay, Ira, I'm sorry if this thread isn't up to PentaxForums.com standards. I already looked for other threads, and I didn't see anything completely related to my question. That's why. I'm really new to this, so you don't have to be this conceited. To me, this is a useful thread, because it may contain those "unwritten" rules or tips to help me get the most out of my camera.
This is the beginner's section. This forum is for help. You weren't ANY help at all.
At the others, thanks for the suggestions, especially hcc. I look forward to getting my camera!
12-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Ira seems to be one of the "very friendly members" that Bramela mentioned.
Don't you apologize. We apologize! Good luck with your endeavors and complaints of the season.
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Just the Box?

if you follow my step, I should get the camera.
12-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
2) mail it to me.

thanks.
Yes you would, but I'm afraid that's not gonna happen.
12-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Welcome Aboard.

You've gotten some great advice (at least one thread that was linked has my "must have" list for K-x owners in it so it must be good).

Update the firmware, and the instructions are here too

Use the Li batteries that come with the camera prior to the rechargeables being ready. The Li's lasted me around 1700 photos!

I also recommend reading the manual and posts here about common new owner issues with the K-x. For example, I hadn't used the remote for a few weeks and wanted to take a picture of my family with my 2 sister's families tonight at our Christmas party. Forgot how to turn the blasted thing on - the manual being online was a great help at my sister's house

Have fun with it - I know I am with mine!