Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter

The only caveat is best to disable AF assist light first hehe

Kinda gives you away otherwise!

12-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I find 'stealthness' difficult with my K-x and much easir with my lil'Fuji P&S... In fact since moving to a dslr system my fuji is seeing more action than it ever did before... If you have a dslr round your neck people don't tend to notice your pointing a little compact P&S at them...
12-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
The only caveat is best to disable AF assist light first hehe

Kinda gives you away otherwise!
Disable the beep too. The easy way to turn off the AF Assist is to set a hyperfocal distance (sort of a catch all), preset the exposure, shoot RAW, and leave the camera on Manual focus. But the camera beeping every time it detects focus will draw more attention, I think, than an AF assist light will. Simply because the light will not always come on.

12-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
There are accessories for your type,
at "your type"

Very interesting responses from everyone. I think I'll keep practicing shooting from the eye until I get good enough to try and be sneaky I like the idea of the 90-degree thingamabobber but gotta work up the nerve to try and use it someday lol

12-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hambino Quote
I like the idea of the 90-degree thingamabobber but gotta work up the nerve to try and use it someday lol
I have two 90-degree thingamabobbers: one goes onto the lens, one onto the viewfinder (VF). They are weird to use. Long ago I shot twin-lens reflexes (TLR's) with top VF's, and I now have an old Praktica 35mm SLR with a top VF. Such are almost stealthy now because when you don't hold the camera up to your eye, fewer people know you're aiming at them. You're just some dork watching the pavement, for all they can tell.

But all these -- the thingamabobbers and the top VF's -- reverse images. If following a moving subject, you must turn AWAY from the direction your visual system insists upon. Just re-educate your reflexes, that's all.
12-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heh, ..Long before people had live view and articulated finders, you had to learn to do that by feel, as best you can, for any number of reasons. It's a little harder if you're like me and tend to favor tighter lenses, but AF and SR and the fact it's not wasting film even if it's frivolous do make it worth trying more.

As for sneaky gadgets and gizmoes, just engage your subject with your eyes, like you would anyway. What you're doing with your hands is always secondary. Peering through funny looking things (especially ones that draw undue amounts of fiddling and attention from *you*) generally attracts more of their attention than just saying, 'Hi, here's a camera,'' anyway.
12-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Aye have some fun, pre focus (manual) on wide 15mm lens.

Remember it's wide so get up close and fire away, if your out and about just the normal street/shopping/people/traffic noise will sufficiently mask any shutter sounds.

Just look relaxed, walk about and get some great images.