Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shooting from the Hip

Do any of you actually do this?? I think about it from time to time and I always think I'd feel a little creepy trying to "sneak" a photo

Just curious (as usual )...

12-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #2

Hahahahah it's funny that you posted this! I actually have taken some shots from my hip. The person I wanted to take a picture of was extremely shy and I wanted a to get a candid shot of her. SHots weren't that great though
12-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
haha I hope she forgave you! :-P
12-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #4

One of my favourite styles.

Armed with a K10D + Sigma 10-20 + hyperfocus, I try to frame at the wide end while shooting from the hip, knee, vertically, horizontally, etc. This allows me to crop the final outcome.

Since I have to get real close to my subjects, (1-2m) a quiet shutter would be helpful to avoid suspicion.

12-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm, I really like getting super candid shots of people I just don't know if I can bring myself to try this, especially since the shutter on the K-r is the exact opposite of quiet
12-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do occasionnaly, but the keeper rate is quite low. I have a few examples in the Shanghai series here.
12-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep... Every picture I've ever taken of people I don't know was taken 'from the hip' or in my case, from the belly . Sometimes, I'll set the camera for interval shooting and let the camera snap one every few seconds, just to see what I get as I'm moving along. Usually nothing worth keeping but sometimes there are a couple.

12-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

I have taken several shots with the camera hanging from my neck on my chest (almost at hip level). In other cases, I was on my knees and I tries to get the camera sitting on the ground. In another situation, the camera was above the beach sand and shooting at an incoming wave. In each case, I was trying to get the camera as low as possible, holding it somehow like hip shooting.

My experience was:

* the keeper rate is low (less than 50%)

* the top LCD of the K-7 is a great help

* I tend to prefer to shot MF and have the better keeper rate with MF.

* In dynamic situations, outdor, I use Hi continuous shooting.

An example is below, where the camera body was barely above the water surface with a breaking wave incoming towards the camera:

Hope that the experience might be of interest. It is not hip shooting but there are some similarities... I was above the camera in each case.

Last edited by hcc; 12-20-2010 at 01:39 AM.
12-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I do occasionally. I find that I have a better keeper rate with pre-focusing to the approximate distance or using a wide lens's hyperfocal distance than I do with autofocus.
12-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I do it now and than, but most of the time when I shooting pictures of my dogs.
I don't always want to be flat on the ground, so I just put the camera on the ground or hold it at hip level. When I do this, I always use the kit lens (18-55 mm) or the wide angle, because it gives nice angles. The success rate is about 50%.
12-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hambino Quote
Do any of you actually do this?? I think about it from time to time and I always think I'd feel a little creepy trying to "sneak" a photo
There are accessories for your type, eg:
1. 55mm Spy Right Angle Lens for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax (eBay item 150412531685 end time 05-Jan-11 03:39:01 AEDST) : Photography

2. LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - BUY - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS
(I just ordered one of these in 3" to fit K-r, will report back if works OK when it arrives. Should make a useful screen protector in any case.)

3. (Can't find one of these for Pentax ATM but we need to watch out for the Ca/Ni/Oly paparazzi)
Aputure GT1C LCD Remote Viewfinder Canon T2i XSi T1i - eBay (item 330510304959 end time Dec-29-10 20:09:12 PST)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-20-2010 at 04:47 AM.
12-20-2010, 05:36 AM   #12
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like Lomo here
12-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll do it frequently when I want a different perspective. Whether the camera focuses on what you want is nearly a crapshoot...

Here's one with mallards who eventually figured out we weren't going to give them any treats, and decided to walk back to the pond:
Anderson 64 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Camera held low, using the fisheye lens, Ki's looking at my face. Not the greatest autofocus job, but good enough for web.
Ki ready to pounce | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Camera held above my head, and while not perfect, it does get the dogs on both sides of the fence.
Fence | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
12-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter

When walking around cities in the developing world I would sometimes hold my camera in my hand at waist level, like I was just carrying it casually, and just fire away full speed. I'd get a few keepers out of the bunch.
12-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, but... not so much with the big K20D, although I sometimes have it strapped over my shoulder or around my neck and will trigger the shutter whilst just aiming the locked-down DA18-250 a general direction. When the Tam 10-24 arrives, it may have this exercise.

But I do much more of this with a P&S. I became quite adept at holding my trusty 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 nonchalantly in my hand as I walk, arms akimbo, through town streets. It's quite easy to swivel my hand at a target of interest. I'm quite happy with this technique, which has been very useful in Mexico and Guatemala.

It started for me as a Lomo-esque idea, using my original fixed-lens 1mpx Sony DSC-P20 in California's Mother Lode / Gold Rush towns. I never got into the drop-the-Lomo trick although I've tossed it a bit. But stealth photography has always fascinated me. From the half-frame wind-up Canon Dial-35 back in film days, to my DSC-V1 now, to a clip-on HD lens on my cap -- I love it! The hidden eye sees all!