Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
af 360 wireless question

i want to fire the flash off camera in wireless without the built in going off. this is on my k-x. i went to the custom menu selection 17 and turned off the flash in wireless mode but i'm not having any luck. any suggestions?
i also followed the directions from the flash manual to use it in wireless. it works when the built in triggers the slave but not the af360 on its own.
thanks
kevin

12-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #2

can not trigger the off camera flash without the onboard flash communicating with it in some way. Only thing you can do is what you have already done and that is turn it off so all it does is communicate with the flash and doesn't contribute to the shot.
12-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the flash still appears to fire when i have it turned off, that's what i meant or is it really not a "flash" that i'm watching come from the built in...more of a trigger? i really don't understand how the process works. maybe i'm just seeing the trigger come from the on board flash and it looks like real deal.
an explanation would be appreciated.
12-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K-x can't do that. The top-tier cameras can have their built-in flash act as a wireless controller. That's one of the little things left off the lower model, like pentaprism viewfinders. If I'm right, you'd need another AF-360FGZ mounted on the K-x to act as a wireless controller. I'll look it up shortly to see if I'm right.

12-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i have a k-10 too. will that be able to handle that task? and what if i got a cord to connect from the hot shoe mount to the flash, would that eliminate the need for the on board flash?
12-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was wrong, the K-x and K10D should both have a built-in flash that can be a wireless controller. That's cool.

The system uses the built-in flash to communicate with the off-camera flash optically, so you might see those flashes, but they shouldn't show up in the image unless you're really close. The flash therefore has to be popped up.

A compatible cord should simply extend the hot shoe connectors to the flash, so the external flash should work exactly the same as it does mounted on the camera.
12-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Indeed, even in Controller mode, the built-in flash emits a small burst during the exposure to trigger the slave flash. It's very low-level and should not be visible before 400-800 iso with a fast lens.
If this really bothers you (or if you have a K7 or K5, for instance, where the flash is not able to use a really low level), then you can get a Nikon SG-3IR. This ensure that your built-in flash won't participate to the exposure.

12-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #8

i would have one question regarding controlling the off-camera-flash with the internal flash:

will there be a longer "shutter delay" (i hope you get what i mean). i am really thinking about getting an external flash (i´ve got a k-x), and i would like to use it for fast photography too (in this special case, it would be stuff like skateboarding, downhill biking and such), where a longer shutter delay would lead to a unsatisfying pose, or at least pressing the shutter earlier would be necessary...

thanks a lot in advance.
12-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The shutter delay is negligible and barely noticeable. The extra time required is used to fire the controlling flash impulse in addition to the pre-flash for exposure metering.

The K-x and K10D should be able to control the 360 flash wirelessly.
Ensure the channels are set and synced to the flash (see the manual if you're unsure of this).
Then try again with the 'eye' of the flash at least within 90 degrees of the pop up flash axis and within reasonably close proximity in non-sunlit conditions.
If still not working, check the slave mode on the flash - it can be set to SL2 to be more receptive to the popup flash.
See how you go.
12-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #10

thanks a lot!
12-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #11

Hot shoe required?

Does this wireless setup require a hot shoe on the flash unit?

Thanks

Joe
12-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the only thing i have is the af360 flash and the camera itself. i didn't buy anything else. i followed the directions in the flash manual and set the k-x flash mode to "wireless"

so i hold the flash in one hand at the angle i want and then hold the camera in the other hand.

i haven't figured out what i'm going to do when i mount a manual prime yet
12-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have no P-TTL function with a manual lens. Best to read up about how to shoot wirelessly with manual lenses from the articles and numerous threads on this topic on this forum.

If you 'holding the flash in the angle you want' is pointing the red light sensor of the 360 flash away from the axis of the popup flash, then the flash will not detect the control flash's trigger. Read the flash manual to get it all set up right and try again.