Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Trouble with settings in Manual mode...

Hi all,
I just received my white K-r with 18-55 plus 50-200 WR lenses and my excitement knows no bounds. Also, my first post since registration.

But, there is a problem... I was playing around with the settings on the K-r when i realised that there is no way to adjust the EV compensation in Full Manual mode.
I'm really curious to know if this how it is with all DSLRs.

Please forgive my ignorance, if so be the case. I'm an avid learner and since this forum is all about sharing and learning, who better to ask than all of you experienced Shuterbugs!

Otherwise, I'm super-pleased with the plethora of options and settings that my new 'Camera Stig' (refer: Top gear Tv show).

Once I'm down with all the controls, and queries, I am planning to post a full-fledged review and pics from my weapon of choice.

TIA and regards.

12-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tripsnap Quote
... i realised that there is no way to adjust the EV compensation in Full Manual mode.
There is no need to do that indeed. Exposure offset in manual mode is implemented by simply setting different parameters with regards to those suggested by the TTL meter of the camera.

Remember that in manual mode the meter is simply advising you, it's up to you to set whatever parameters (shutter speed, aperture).

General suggestions:

- read the manaul carefully, even if there are some things sounding rather obscure;

- find a nice book on general photo technique, even an old one: the basics are the same for analog and digital cameras.

Last edited by Huck Finn; 12-22-2010 at 07:07 AM.
12-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #3

Trip,

First, welcome to the forum. Second, on my K200D in M(anual) mode, I can push the +/- sign on top of the camera to change EV compensation. Do you have such a button?
12-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
Trip,

First, welcome to the forum. Second, on my K200D in M(anual) mode, I can push the +/- sign on top of the camera to change EV compensation. Do you have such a button?
If the K-r is like the K-x in this regard, in M mode, the +/- button by default just locks in a recommended shutter speed for you. This is why with fully manual lenses, I don't have to use my Green button.

There probably a menu setting for it to behave differently in M, but I shoot like Huck says:

I use my +/- button to lock my shutter speed based on my desired aperture (exact aperture is usually what I want to fully control), and then spin my wheel to vary shutter speed to over or under the camera's base reading.

It's not an automatic compensation, but generally, when I encounter a scene that needs compensation, I only have to meter it once anyway, and will usually take SEVERAL different compensations.

Last edited by Ira; 12-22-2010 at 07:27 AM.
12-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
Trip,

You cannot adjust "EV compensation" with the AV button in manual mode.

It does change the Aperture if that is what you mean but EV will still fluctuate with the scene.

Last edited by PinarelloOnly; 12-22-2010 at 07:54 AM.
12-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the speedy response. I know where I goofed up now.

The EV compensation is for the other semi-auto, semi-manual modes where a user (like yours truly) stubborn or lazy enough to not use full manual, but still wants good results.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome! I feel I'm definitely in the right place!

Peace.
12-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My film camera predates Ev compensation, so on my first DSLR, it was new to me. My question was, what does it really change? So here's my essay on Ev.

Exposure Value is a single number that represents a combination of aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings. The definition of Ev 0 is f1.0, 1 sec. and ISO 100. So when you're using your f1.0 lens wide-open... OK, maybe you don't have one of those. The idea of the single number is that Ev 0 can also represent f5.6, 1 sec. and ISO 3200 (if I counted right). Ev tells you how much light you have, and you can adapt camera settings to get an image with that light. Light meters often have a basic readout in Ev, though they'll also have a way to translate Ev into camera settings. Your camera's meter skips over the Ev number and goes right to choosing settings, based on its capabilities, the lens you're using, and the mode you set.

So if that explanation of Ev is clear, Ev compensation should make more sense. The camera misleads you into thinking it's a separate parameter, in addition to aperture, shutter speed and ISO. It's not. Ev compensation must be changing one of those three things. Thus my question, what does it change? The camera makes changes based on your mode, which tells the camera which parameter you think is important. Choose Av, also cleverly called Aperture Priority, and the camera thinks that you must really want control over your aperture. So if you change Ev, the camera adjusts shutter speed instead. In Tv mode, aperture gets changed. In manual mode, the camera believes that you want to control everything. Without knowing which parameter to override, the camera disables Ev compensation and says "you're on your own, buddy."

I find other modes scary, so I leave it for you to discover what Ev compensation does there. One more interesting point: the higher-end cameras like the K-7 behave a little differently. Ev compensation in M mode allows you to bias the light meter. It won't change any exposure parameters, it changes the meter reading instead. I also find that scary but I can see the weird logic behind it.

12-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I find other modes scary, so I leave it for you to discover what Ev compensation does there. One more interesting point: ...
Other modes, programmed modes, where both aperture and shutter speed are chosen by the camera, the deciding factor is simply the program line, which is followed along as you dial in over or underexposure.